Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 06:40 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times

Advertisements

Great map, Third Strike! Watching this closely as it will end up within walking distance of my house. I'd actually use it quite a bit, but likely won't be living in this house when it's done. People are so tied to their cars here, I don't know what to expect in terms of usage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 10:06 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
I've finally made a virtual map out of the future transit lines in the Triangle. There's also one of the Charlotte region. This is still a WIP, so if there's anything I need to change, please let me know (I actually live in Charlotte, so I'm not completely familiar with this area; I'm just going off the maps from the Our Transit Future site). You can also enable and disable layers to make the viewing better, if you want. I also plan to add a layer for the high speed rail/intercity rail someday:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/vi...WabPUtos&hl=en

Also, here's a 3D tour of the Durham/Orange light rail:

Durham Orange Light Rail Transit corridor ("fly-through") - YouTube
Wow!

Thanks. Have a better understanding now.

I have no clue if it will be financially successful or not, but it would definitely be a huge boon to the area for several groups of people.

I was at an Imagine Cary meeting some months ago and was surrounded by young professionals who all wanted to live in "walkable urban" neighborhoods. There was quite a discussion about their various attempts to try this in the Triangle.

One point I remember being made was that in addition to not wanting to spend 25% of their income on transportation, many came from places where public transportation is a given. They are used to the waiting and the crowding and all that is involved in public transportation.

Then there are the older folks. This area is attractive to retirees but the one thing we are missing is decent public transportation. It is not uncommon for people to live decades past when they should stop driving. Enough said.

From what I read, the middle class is shrinking and even those who are hanging on by their fingernails will no longer have the disposable income needed to maintain two vehicles. I don't know how folks working in the service industry, hovering around the poverty line do it. For the life of me, I can't figure out how $1500/month can cover rent, utilities, food, clothes, etc. as well as a car payment, insurance, gas, repairs.

A light rail sounds like it is so far off in the future. What are the estimate for when it might happen?

Old 11-25-2013, 11:05 AM

613 posts, read 746,452 times
The fantasy continues. A light rail project is expensive to build and run. Payed for with borrowed money.
The bus service is not even fully realized for heaven's sake.
I took a bus last Friday. Bus stop consisted of a sign. No shelter or even a place to stand. When this area has a properly running,equipped,built utilized bus service then talk about light rail.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:43 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Great video ThirdStrike. Really nice!!

Chapel Hill has a great free bus system that gets tons of use. Many, though, not all bus stops in Chapel Hill/Carrboro do have benches and shelters. There's quite a bit of bus traffic between Chapel Hill and Duke/Durham as well. I think light rail in Durham and Orange has good support and potential for success. That said, I drive or walk most places in Chapel Hill/Carrboro, but I do occasionally take the bus. If I'm not in a hurry I'd just rather walk, though, and from my location most places I go in town are walkable within a 1 -3 mile range, so perfectly doable, if not quick.

I would enjoy taking a train to downtown Raleigh. I don't particularly like driving over there and would like the opportunity to leave my car at home.

When I go to Durham I'm usually either on the edges near Chapel Hill (15-501/I-40; Southpoint; old Southsquare area) but sometimes I do go down to the ATC or NCMLS. I would gladly take the train to downtown Durham (ATC area) and maybe the Southsquare station. I occasionally find myself around Duke so I might do that one, too. I do think there is a lot of traffic between Chapel Hill and Duke, though, so my traffic patterns are not indicative of the greater traffic patterns between CH and Durham, although it would be great to include Southpoint in there if they could.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:01 PM

613 posts, read 746,452 times
Alice in Wonderland.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:55 PM

487 posts, read 891,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
...Many, though, not all bus stops in Chapel Hill/Carrboro do have benches and shelters. ...
I'd say it's a tiny minority that do.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:32 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I think the ones on most major streets do, Franklin St, MLK, etc. More would be nice, though.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:34 PM

487 posts, read 891,098 times
There are some on the major streets that do, but even on those streets, the vast majority of stops are just signs. Along Franklin St-Main St, there are only a couple that are not just signs.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:56 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
The bus service is not even fully realized for heaven's sake.
I took a bus last Friday. Bus stop consisted of a sign. No shelter or even a place to stand. When this area has a properly running,equipped,built utilized bus service then talk about light rail.
The busiest bus route in Raleigh (WakeMed Route 15) carries about 700,000 annual passenger trips. If Raleigh were truly serious about building a successful light rail line, New Bern Ave would be a good place to start.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:21 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
We'll, unfortunately, in Wake County they only want to consider running tracks on corridors where there are existing freight lines. So New Bern ave won't get any rail. Or not many other places where many people live really. I know that in the future development will cluster around the rail lines, but personally, I am in favor of spending more to get a better system.

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 11-26-2013 at 04:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary