Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 06:58 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I would pay to have the second meter put in tomorrow if it were on reclaimed water. Since I live on a small lot it would be about a 20 year payback at the current rates. There just is not enough discount to make up for the fees on normal water. Hopefully they are looking to expand the system.
Plus you can water every day of the week if you want to, might actually get young fescue to survive the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 09:35 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,534,136 times
I think I'm lost on this.

You mean that the labor or fee to install the second meter is that expensive? The second meter would be for irrigation I assume so that you don't pay the sewer fees. Is that correct? Why would installing a second meter have a fee that high if it were a fee?

Old 09-21-2011, 07:33 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
That's what Cary charges to allow you to put it in.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:58 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,678,508 times
If you simply want an irrigation system without having this second meter with a long payback period, what's stopping you from running one off of your hose bibs?

The flexible black tubing that HD and Lowe's sell can handle the pressure of your system and is easy to bury. Similarly, you can find the fittings to attach PVC to the bib and run PVC to a manifold. Hose bibs these days have anti-siphon built in, backflow will be controlled by the valves on the manifold. My household pressure is set to 65psi which is also less than the 80psi coming in. You obviously don't get the sewer savings, but you also don't have to lay out $2k for saving ~$65/month in June, July and August.

Simple Irrigation Control System

Old 09-22-2011, 01:57 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
I've done almost exactly that. I have the entire system set up with all in ground pipes, controller, valves and all, just hooked to my hose bib with 6 zones including drip for the garden (different kind of rain sensor though). It is set up so someone could hook up a separate meter if they wanted but I don't plan on it, unless they run reclaimed water. I'll pay the expense if it means I can use non-potable water.

I was just at Morrisville inspections today and they have the sheet posted and it us just over $2,000 but it looks like that includes the meter install. So after that you need to have a plumber run pipe to the meter and install the backflow valve.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:24 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,678,508 times
That's what I did as well. I have a 9 zone system and a 6 zone system connected to my bibs. I used the black flex tubing to keep it simple and of course have PVC to and in my manifolds. Total cost per zone, including the valve, was approx $22. Controllers were (9 zone ~$70) and (6 zone ~$54). Total yard coverage with attention to my worst areas for under $400 and some weekend labor. It was a fun project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary