Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 10:31 AM

143 posts, read 708,532 times

Advertisements

No trucks on the Parkway, this is a bad thing. That is what I was afraid we were going to run into. I guess we will stick with what GPS told us, 95 the whole way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 10:58 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
Learn from our mistake!

We drove a Penske truck down here from MA 2 years ago. My family is in Philly, so whenever we drove to see them, we took the Tappan Zee to Garden State Parkway to NJ Turnpike. It's a great route. However, no trucks are allowed on the Garden State Parkway--we found out the hard way (and yes, the Penske truck counts). We got all mixed up in northern New Jersey trying to find an alternate route and finally found our way to 95. So, you're probably better off taking 95 the whole way, as much as I hate the GW Bridge...

Enjoy NC--we do! moving here was the best thing we've ever done.

PS I love western MA--went to college in Northampton...there are some things I still miss....
Ok, scary. I'm in MA, wanting to move to NC and grew up in Philly!

Old 08-21-2007, 12:09 PM

103 posts, read 537,741 times
I would definitely go over the Tappan Zee rather than the GW bridge -- I'm not from that area, but when we went to Cape Cod a few weeks ago, hit TERRIBLE traffic on the latter, but not the former. I'd also try to avoid the Jersey Turnpike and take 295 S in Jersey -- the Turnpike was a parking lot when we were coming south. Good luck!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:27 PM

233 posts, read 860,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmemk View Post
I would definitely go over the Tappan Zee rather than the GW bridge -- I'm not from that area, but when we went to Cape Cod a few weeks ago, hit TERRIBLE traffic on the latter, but not the former. I'd also try to avoid the Jersey Turnpike and take 295 S in Jersey -- the Turnpike was a parking lot when we were coming south. Good luck!

Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway are really all in the timing... I leave at 4:00am usually (like someone else suggested), I can hit the Tappan Zee in 2-1/2 hrs from Grafton MA, and roll from there. By far, definitely easier to drive it on a Saturday or Sunday and not have to worry about when or where you'll hit rush hour traffic at its worst.

And.. just where are all these Grafton-ites coming from? My mother, grandfather, aunt and a few cousins live in Grafton. Off the center (my grandfather helped build that little white gazebo ages ago) is where my mom lives, and my other relatives live off Wheeler Rd.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:58 AM

143 posts, read 708,532 times
Thanks everyone for the advice! We will plan our trip accordingly. Great to know there will be some fellow Western Mass-ers in the area!

Old 08-22-2007, 06:09 AM

180 posts, read 662,355 times
I honestly think that ANY bridge you go over in NYC is going to be full of traffic. Be prepared. Just time your travel through NYC between the rush hours. I don't think in all my years of driving around the northeast that I've never not been stuck on one of those bridges.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:44 AM

233 posts, read 860,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLamothe View Post
I honestly think that ANY bridge you go over in NYC is going to be full of traffic. Be prepared. Just time your travel through NYC between the rush hours. I don't think in all my years of driving around the northeast that I've never not been stuck on one of those bridges.
I've been stuck on the GW and almost had a panic attack .. never been stuck on the Tappan Zee though, backed up at the toll booth on occasion, but never on the bridge....(knock on wood).

Old 08-22-2007, 08:48 AM

112 posts, read 759,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLamothe View Post
I don't think in all my years of driving around the northeast that I've never not been stuck on one of those bridges.
The end of July driving north I got stuck on the bridge for a few minutes on the Tap. There was an accident on the other side and people were rubber necking. The side that had the accident was backed up for miles!

Old 09-06-2007, 08:15 PM

33 posts, read 111,556 times
Grafton, Boston, Western Mass, its like old home week - I was from Shrewsbury! no wonder I couldn't find a u-haul - they made the trip down and never went back LOL! We moved 3 years ago and traveled - I84 to I81 - to 64E which can drop you in Richmond, for us we did 29S and 501S - which brings us into person county! it was 750 miles door to door with no tolls!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary