Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:17 AM

153 posts, read 860,588 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the advice. The issue has been reported, and there is nothing they can do. The butts are everywhere. It is really disheartening to know that people like to live within filth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
I too hear your pain. I was just traveling and was exposed to more smoke than I have been in a long time and it really affected me. You are in a tough spot.

My experience is that smokers really have no idea of the smell or problem to those that are sensitive to smoke. I also think butts are a fire hazard in addition to everything else listed and I would mention it to the management for that very reason.

I would ask to speak to the management - mention the butts outside, ask what your options are to move apartments and explore your other options. When you view the new apartment locations, ask for a few days before giving your answer -- because then you can 'hang out' around the new locale and scope it out.

Short term, I would advise you to keep your windows closed -- no reason to rely more on your inhalers than you need to right now. Have you checked where your air intake is for your air/heat system? It could be that once smoke gets into your apartment, it just recirculates. There are filters (air filters) that you can put into the air intake that will filter out cigarette smoke -- I think you need a MERV 11 or MERV13 to get the tobacco smoke filtered out because of the particle size. You could also run another air purifier in your apartment in the meantime... I agree, not a long term solution but you need to fix your immediate environment as you work out a long term solution...

Good luck. Hope the management is compatible and listens. Just focus on what you want (smoke free, clean air living) -- they cannot necessarily fix people's behaviors in the breezeways...but they might be able to find you an apartment where you can open your windows...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 10:21 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezmom View Post
Been here almost 2 years. 3 months left.
I don't like any type of cigarette smoke anywhere near me, whether it kills or not. I just don't like it. So, I can relate to your frustration.

I don't know much about rentals...not my field of expertise. My suggestion to you would be to either contact an attorney (That is the RE agent in me) or do some online searching and see what your rights are, as a tenant.

I believe I have read that if your rental is not safe or has health issues to the renter, there are things you can do. And, if you decide to do any of those "things", you want to be on the right side of the law.

Try to ignore the negative nellies on here. Name calling is not acceptable on any forum, but people hide behind their online names. Hopefully, you have gotten some positive suggestions and can get yourself into a better situation.

Best of luck to you,

Vicki

Old 10-20-2011, 10:29 AM

285 posts, read 836,285 times
I like to think I'm one of the more considerate smokers. Without a doubt there are some inconsiderate smokers around, but you know what - there's inconsiderate drivers, teachers etc etc - in all walks of life.

As I'm a smoker I obviously dont smell the smoke as much as a non-smoker. However, I know its there and of course try to reduce that where possible. Even when we could still smoke in restaurants, I'd be the first to request a non-smoking table for dinner, even when non-smoking friends didn't mind.

I'm the first to agree that if I decide to be a smoker - and accept the issues that come with it (both social & health) - then thats up to me, and not for me to inflict on others. As someone else said - it IS an addiction and not easy to quit - but if someone really WANTS to quit (and they have to WANT to do it - not be pressured into it) - the support structure is in place...

To the OP's original question - the coughing is something that I'd advise to disregard for your complaint. Could just as easily be a non-smoker (or reformed smoker) with a bad cough - or could be something else like being on the phone outside a lot, which still makes noise

I'd definitely suggest trying to find an alternative apartment in the same complex - if nothing else, this is highlighting that you dont particularly want to leave - but you need to find some sort of remedy to your problem

Good luck!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:36 AM

17 posts, read 34,940 times
I would suggest talking to your apartment complex. At my apartment complex, to break the lease, you have to pay 2 months rent. Does the smoking bother you if your windows are closed? If so, I assume the colder weather that is coming may keep you from having your windows open much. Good luck!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,831,342 times
Quote:
Does any one know if I can get out of my lease to move, due to this? If so what are the steps?

I have thought about asking if I can move to another unit, but there is no guarantee this will not happen again. It seems almost everyone here smokes.

Thanks
Just a reminder that ^^ this ^^ is the topic of the thread. Rude comments are unnecessary, as are jabs at each other, but if you have helpful suggestions for the OP, please add them!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:44 AM

374 posts, read 1,181,802 times
If you only have 3 months left you may as well just try to stick it out and move to a new complex. By the time you get a lawyer involved and everything settled it will probably be very close to your lease end date. If you ask to change apartments do you really want to deal with the time and expense of moving now and the again in 3 months? As I am not sure exactly how bad it is for you I just wanted you to think about the options.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:52 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Been here almost 2 years. 3 months left.
Unless the guy below you just moved in..
and by that changed your immediate experience.. then that's your answer.

The management still might cooperate with an early release though...
so absolutely talk to the manager and see.

Good luck.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:53 AM

746 posts, read 1,242,513 times
Please let us know what happens, I would think they would move you as you are a good tenant

Old 10-20-2011, 12:40 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,238 times
I'd take the next three months to find some new apts as far as apartment complexes go. When you find 2 or 3 you like and can afford, drive around them often and at different times so you can get a feel for how many people smoke. Get out and walk around each one so you can see if their are butts everywhere or not. Then pick the one with the least smoking activity. Good luck!

Old 10-20-2011, 01:00 PM

153 posts, read 860,588 times
Thank you. His coughing does not bother me, it makes me sad. He sounds so sick, and is smoking like a chimney.

Thanks for your response.

As I'm a smoker I obviously dont smell the smoke as much as a non-smoker. However, I know its there and of course try to reduce that where possible. Even when we could still smoke in restaurants, I'd be the first to request a non-smoking table for dinner, even when non-smoking friends didn't mind.

I'm the first to agree that if I decide to be a smoker - and accept the issues that come with it (both social & health) - then thats up to me, and not for me to inflict on others. As someone else said - it IS an addiction and not easy to quit - but if someone really WANTS to quit (and they have to WANT to do it - not be pressured into it) - the support structure is in place...

To the OP's original question - the coughing is something that I'd advise to disregard for your complaint. Could just as easily be a non-smoker (or reformed smoker) with a bad cough - or could be something else like being on the phone outside a lot, which still makes noise

I'd definitely suggest trying to find an alternative apartment in the same complex - if nothing else, this is highlighting that you dont particularly want to leave - but you need to find some sort of remedy to your problem

Good luck! [/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary