Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 02:28 PM

142 posts, read 343,391 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what the costs are like in the Raleigh area? How much does it cost to turn on each utility. What is the average monthly cost for utilities including water for a small to medium home in the summer and winter? How much are tags, licenses and registration? Any car tax? car insurance? house insurance? and heaven forbid what are state and local social programs like as far as housing, job re-training, help for bills, food banks, free medical? It's a consideration in this shaky economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 06:53 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,825,278 times
Wow, you're question sure doesn't have a simple answer!

If you want this many details (and get current results), you should contact a real estate agent. They should have a relocation package with all this info pre-organized.
Especially for some questions, like utility costs for housing, that will very so much from user to user, construction type etc.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:39 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,238 times
Voc Rehab is awesome for job re-training if you qualify (though slow as molasses), and the food banks here impress me with how well they can keep up with the demand. Unless you qualify for Medicaid, medical is way harder to get. Make that almost impossible. There is basically no help with bills as hardly anyone gives cash anymore (most organizations give clothes, food, even bus tickets etc. but can no longer give cash or pay bills). Housing has quite the wait list.

I don't want to be a downer at all because I'm not one of the people who discourages everyone from coming to the area but, if those are really considerations for you, it may not be the best time to relocate.

Best of luck!

Old 10-22-2011, 07:39 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artriotnow View Post
and heaven forbid what are state and local social programs like as far as housing, job re-training, help for bills, food banks, free medical? It's a consideration in this shaky economy.
Checked some of your posts over the past year and couldn't help but notice that you've been considering a variety of areas across the country with an eye towards affordable housing and job opportunities for artists. This makes good sense to me to ask for info from the locals before pulling up stakes and loading up the car.

For what it's worth, I would encourage you to consider either 1) another career in addition to being an artist as artist jobs are few and far between or 2) figure out how to live as a caretaker of some property where your expenses will be minimal.

Depending on government programs as a safety net is a shaky proposition these days. I can't think of a single social program that hasn't been cut. And there appear to be more cuts coming. Lengthy waiting lists for subsidized housing. Food banks are stretched to the limit. Help with bills? Free medical? Dare to dream.

If there was ever a time for getting your ducks in a row to be self supporting, this would be it. Whether you move to Raleigh, Portland, or somewhere in between you will likely be paying your own bills and everything costs, no matter where you live. Rent may be a bit less in some areas than others. But utilities, taxes, internet... all cost.

There are job training programs available though your local workforce center. Check with them to see if you qualify for any. Your local community college will likely have a career center that can help you select a workable career.

Many many artists earn their living at another career. Others depend on spouses or family for support. Others work out cheap living arrangements. One way is as a caretaker for an absentee owner. Not sure how to find these but I think there are web sites that advertise for housesitters, etc. Often retreat centers and such have groundskeepers/security people that live on the property.

Wishing you all the best.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:50 AM

149 posts, read 206,710 times
Unfortunately, most of your questions are relative to your particular situation. What it costs for me might not be the same for you.

But when we were switching insurances, we found that many insurance companies, including Progressive, Geico and Allstate, have calculators on their sites that can give you a good guesstimate of how much you can expect to pay in car insurance.

Vehicle taxes depend on what kind of vehicle you have and how old the vehicle is. An older economy car will not have the same taxes as a newer SUV.

I agree with much of what PatRoy wrote, by the way. It really would benefit you to have another skill just in case your dream career gets derailed.

Just a few notes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary