Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2011, 06:34 PM

337 posts, read 1,138,823 times

Advertisements

That video is shot below Falls Dam I'm pretty sure.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 06:41 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Here she is, why don't you ask her directly?

2009 Longwood Drive, Raleigh, NC - Google Maps

Old 10-30-2011, 06:41 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatraco View Post
Thank you EVERYONE for the responses! Once I actually find what I remember seeing on the program - whatever will I do to entertain myself?! LOL
Well, you could keep on posting here! It's a pretty congenial group .....

Old 10-30-2011, 07:02 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
Hmmmmm... Sounds like more of a preference than an actual necessary adjustment. But I guess that preference has made you guys have to adjust your mental approaches towards getting into water that you prefer less than other water that looks different elsewhere. So maybe that's what PDXmom was referring to. Interesting.
You can call it what you like. The murky rivers around here make me itch. The slit and algae floating around the Haw near the Saxapahaw gave me a rash this summer. Not to mention the mucky river mud smell never did come out of my keens. Many rivers in Oregon (including the Columbia River Gorge Areas) are fed from glacier run off and the river basins are normally rock. This combined w/ a greater volume of water and great speed of water, can make for cleaner water quality. (Please note I am NOT saying every river in Oregon is cleaner than NC Rivers. The Williamette River has been on the superfund clean up list for years. But I avoided putting my toes in the Williamette too.)

30 mins outside of Portland you have crystal clear glacier fed rivers and streams that really do make you feel refreshed on a hot summer day.... not sticky with river slit. So no it's not that it looks different here... it's that I don't like developing a rash after getting into the river water.

Sometimes somethings are better some where else. It doesn't mean anyone is bashing the area or doesn't like it here. It just means we traded sunny days for fewer clear rivers. That's all.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:23 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
First off, just because the Haw is filthy and nasty (duh, Greensboro flushes into it), that doesn't mean every local river is. Hint, any river that has 1000 square miles of developed land upstream is going to be filthy and nasty. Meanwhile, Fews ford on the Eno is a fantastic swimming hole, and has bonus of being spring fed, meaning it is nice and cool even in the heat of summer.

And I can list off dozens of creeks and streams in western carolina that are every bit as fantastic and crystal clear as anything you miss in Oregon.

Just a few examples...
Gragg Prong
American Whitewater - Roseboro to Lost Cove Creek, Gragg Prong North Carolina, US
Big Creek
American Whitewater - 2. NPS Campground to Confluence with Big Pigeon, Big Creek North Carolina, US
Toxaway
American Whitewater - Highway 64 to Augerhole Road, Toxaway River North Carolina, US
North Harper Creek
American Whitewater - Trail 266A to Brown Mountain Beach Road [CR1328], North Harper Creek/Harper Creek North Carolina, US
Linville Gorge
American Whitewater - Linville Falls to Lake James , Linville North Carolina, US
Horsepasture
American Whitewater - US Route 281 to Lake Jocassee, Horsepasture North Carolina, US

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-31-2011 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:43 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
You can call it what you like. The murky rivers around here make me itch. The slit and algae floating around the Haw near the Saxapahaw gave me a rash this summer. Not to mention the mucky river mud smell never did come out of my keens. Many rivers in Oregon (including the Columbia River Gorge Areas) are fed from glacier run off and the river basins are normally rock. This combined w/ a greater volume of water and great speed of water, can make for cleaner water quality. (Please note I am NOT saying every river in Oregon is cleaner than NC Rivers. The Williamette River has been on the superfund clean up list for years. But I avoided putting my toes in the Williamette too.)

30 mins outside of Portland you have crystal clear glacier fed rivers and streams that really do make you feel refreshed on a hot summer day.... not sticky with river slit. So no it's not that it looks different here... it's that I don't like developing a rash after getting into the river water.

Sometimes somethings are better some where else. It doesn't mean anyone is bashing the area or doesn't like it here. It just means we traded sunny days for fewer clear rivers. That's all.
You need to get out of the triangle and see some other parts of NC!

Start with Lake James near Morganton (my favorite lake in the whole state) http://highcountrywebcams.com/webcameras_LakeJames.htm .

Then travel over near Jefferson and check out the beautiful (and clear) New River. http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/neri/main.php

And don't miss Wilson Creek in Caldwell County http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/wilson_creek1.htm

Old 10-31-2011, 09:28 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
While it won't begin to compare to the pristine waters of the PNW, the Eno River actually flows pretty clear, especially for a piedmont river. It is spring-fed and the water stays relatively cool all year, it has some big rocks and rapids and may well be worth a visit. There are good swimming holes at the old Pump Station, Bobbit's Hole, and at other locations along the trail. I swim often at the Pump Station and sometimes take the kids down there...it's a blast! Soon after a rain it gets murky, but most rivers in this party of the country do...even in the mountains.

I also swim often in the New River in Ashe County and it is fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post

Old 10-31-2011, 09:49 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
To the OP...If you are traveling down Falls of the Neuse Road, past Bedford (on your left), you'll come to a dip in the road. Right before you go over the bridge, look to your left. That is the area that was in the episode. There used to be a place that you can rent kayacks and canoes but they have moved to Capital Blvd. I think North Raleigh Guy or someone on this forum has done that...seems like I remember someone posting about it.

Enjoy!

Vicki

Old 11-01-2011, 07:49 AM

735 posts, read 1,584,846 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary