Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 02:04 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,759,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatraco View Post
Please don't laugh....but I'm obsessed (I believe that's the word my family used!) with finding a river that I saw on an HGTV House Hunters show. I recently relocated here from Oregon and love that I don't really have to spend 24 hours a day indoors due to the wet and cold!

Not long after moving here, I happened to watch a House Hunters show about a Raleigh woman looking for a new house - and at the very beginning of the program it flashed quickly through different pictures of the Raleigh area including a picture of the woman and her daughter jogging on a paved trail through the trees and ending up at a swiftly moving river that didn't appear to be muddy/murky and actually showed whitewater.

Can anyone help put me out of my misery and give me some ideas as to where they think this might have been filmed? I have obtained several maps, including a map showing the greenway trails, and have yet to find what I remember seeing on the show. My family all think I've totally "lost it" this time, as I even emailed HGTV to see if they could help me out! I didn't receive a reply, so I'm guessing they might have had better and more urgent things to do (imagine that!!). Any thoughts?
If you figure it out please let me know. We moved from Portland 4 years ago and I still miss the Columbia River Gorge and clear rivers. The Yadkin to the west of us is picturesque hiking. The Haw is also picturesque, but our family just has not been able to adjust to putting our toes in the murky water of the rivers around here. However, the beach trips do help to make up for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 04:27 PM

166 posts, read 304,600 times
PDXmom, Have you been any further west? The Nantahala is lovely and lively!

Old 10-28-2011, 05:25 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,759,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2carolina View Post
PDXmom, Have you been any further west? The Nantahala is lovely and lively!
Just looked at it online. Thanks for the tip!!! I'll add the Nantahala to the list for next summer!

Old 10-28-2011, 06:50 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
We loved the clear water of the New River as well. Most of the western area rivers are much clearer, just due to the difference in sediment.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:57 PM

924 posts, read 2,104,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
... The Haw is also picturesque, but our family just has not been able to adjust to putting our toes in the murky water of the rivers around here...
Just out of curiosity, what kind of "adjustment" is required in order to put one's toes into a murky river as opposed to a clearer one?

Old 10-28-2011, 11:11 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,744,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
Just out of curiosity, what kind of "adjustment" is required in order to put one's toes into a murky river as opposed to a clearer one?

The "adjustment" that is required in order to put one's toes into murky water such as a river here in central or eastern NC, as compared to the Columbia River in Oregon, is an adjustment that only those who have had the opportunity to experience both options can understand.

Seeing the Columbia River from Hood River, OR, to Portland, and driving along the highway which runs right beside the river is so spectacular that I would think anyone who sees it would be so impressed as to never forget the scene.

If a person had a choice of either the Columbia River or a murky central NC river to dip one's toes in, I don't think it would be a difficult decision.

The rivers and lakes here just ..... well, they're not very pretty because of the murky water. It's just natural for the area.

best,
toodie

Old 10-29-2011, 10:33 AM

258 posts, read 673,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post

The "adjustment" required is getting over either minor or major willies (depending on the person) on what might be in the water past your ankles since you can't see in any body of water I am aware of down here except the quarry scuba park in rolesville.

As a kid in upstate NY we had a summer cottage on a small lake, and you could easily see 20 ft down. This had a bit of a negative effect on me in the regard that there were sunken trees in the lake. huge hulking things lying on the bottom that as a 6 year old used to give me the heebie jeebies when I was swimming. (think boogeyman....sue me) It's ok....I'm laughing WITH you

So moving down here and experincing murky water for the first time didn't help me relax much knowing the same trees and logs are on the bottom here as well. I still swim when we take our boat to falls, but in the back of my mind I still have to squelch that little fear that the tree monsters are under there somewhere....

so yeah, it is an adjustment for some of us

Also, since my sister still lives upstate and has her own personal trout stream running through the back 8 acres I am a bit jealous since there is a real lack of running white water around here in raleigh...save 4 hours+ to the mountains....

So, this was the best I could do. I filled in my garden pond, dug another this time with a 20 ft stream.... Its still a work in progress, need to add the plants and put my fish back in the newer big pond.

This is the most recent pic I have btw, the rocks are now all in place covering all the liner

Last edited by 68scout; 10-29-2011 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 10-30-2011, 05:53 AM

924 posts, read 2,104,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
The "adjustment" that is required in order to put one's toes into murky water such as a river here in central or eastern NC, as compared to the Columbia River in Oregon, is an adjustment that only those who have had the opportunity to experience both options can understand.

If a person had a choice of either the Columbia River or a murky central NC river to dip one's toes in, I don't think it would be a difficult decision.

The rivers and lakes here just ..... well, they're not very pretty because of the murky water. It's just natural for the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68scout View Post
The "adjustment" required is getting over either minor or major willies (depending on the person) on what might be in the water past your ankles since you can't see in any body of water I am aware of down here except the quarry scuba park in rolesville.

As a kid in upstate NY we had a summer cottage on a small lake, and you could easily see 20 ft down. This had a bit of a negative effect on me in the regard that there were sunken trees in the lake. huge hulking things lying on the bottom that as a 6 year old used to give me the heebie jeebies when I was swimming. (think boogeyman....sue me) It's ok....I'm laughing WITH you

So moving down here and experincing murky water for the first time didn't help me relax much knowing the same trees and logs are on the bottom here as well. I still swim when we take our boat to falls, but in the back of my mind I still have to squelch that little fear that the tree monsters are under there somewhere....

so yeah, it is an adjustment for some of us
Hmmmmm... Sounds like more of a preference than an actual necessary adjustment. But I guess that preference has made you guys have to adjust your mental approaches towards getting into water that you prefer less than other water that looks different elsewhere. So maybe that's what PDXmom was referring to. Interesting.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:50 PM

5 posts, read 9,518 times
Thank you EVERYONE for the responses! Once I actually find what I remember seeing on the program - whatever will I do to entertain myself?! LOL

Old 10-30-2011, 06:05 PM

5 posts, read 9,518 times
Just following up on 'goin2carolina's suggestion, I found the House Hunters episode that I'm referring to if anyone has the time to look at to see if it looks familiar. I just went to hgtv.com and typed Raleigh in the search field at the top and then scrolled down to "Seeking a More Manageable Size".
During the first minute or two of the program it shows 'Donna' and her daughter jogging down to the river I'm trying to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary