Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2011, 08:44 AM

3 posts, read 5,578 times

Advertisements

I might move to Raleigh and one of my kids has autism. I would like to know if it is true that North Carolina provides free care for autistic kids or at least care at low cost. My child is 10 year old and is non verbal.
Thanks for answering me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 08:50 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willorel View Post
I would like to know if it is true that North Carolina provides free care for autistic kids or at least care at low cost.
As in day care? Or schooling? Free day care sound so unlikely, that I am curious where you heard that.

At any rate, this seems to be a good resource: http://autismresourcenc.wordpress.co...n-with-autism/ They mention a respite care program at http://www.tammylynncenter.org/Home/...spiteCare.aspx . Perhaps that's what you heard.

Also try this specialized forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/special-needs-children/

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-30-2011 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 10-30-2011, 01:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
I am sure you must mean therapy such as ABA for autism , speech therapy, and special ed classes in the school district(which is mandated by federal law). In AZ the Division of Developmental Disabilities is responsible for providing care for these kids, and I think the same organization exists in NC. Some providers bill your insurance first, if you have any, and then the state picks up the rest of the bill. I would google NC state services for disabilities. Good luck to you.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:05 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Introduction to TEACCH — TEACCH - UNC School of Medicine

Teacch is a program through UNC-Ch and serves the whole state. Definitely give the website a read and give them a call. I hope they can help answer your questions.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,306 times
I'm not sure if this will help but there is a relevant institution in Raleigh called 3C. If you call them they might be able to direct you to the right place?

Old 11-01-2011, 07:13 AM

68 posts, read 118,546 times
The services exist, but funding is low so the waiting lists are very long for virtually all services. County services are sparse and complicated to access.
I believe the wait for TEACCH intake was 2 months and they have not had any openings meeting my daughter's needs in over a year, but they offer a support group and referrals.
The school here has been great for my daughter's communication and her behavior has improved tremendously. She goes to public school in an enclosed autism classroom.
One thing that I've noticed is that you see more autism in the community so behaviors draw much less attention when out and about.
Good luck on your decision!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:30 AM

115 posts, read 229,225 times
Willorel, I have been researching NC schools/services for autosm and it has been very disappointing,. As already posted, there is a 4-5 year wait for "the waiver" which gives you access to therapies. The available state and county services are few and far between. Now, private pay is another story. You can get ABA, ot, speech, --anything you want if you private pay. NC does not have the insurance mandate, so insurance companies are not bound by the law to pay for services for children with autism. There are no approved private schools for children with autism (approved privates are paid by the school distrcts in other states), so if you are not happy with the public school system, there are some private schools. They run on average $20,000 a year. Raleigh may be different, though. My research has been limited to the Charlotte area. Do your homework before you make that move. Good luck.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:32 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willorel View Post
I might move to Raleigh and one of my kids has autism. I would like to know if it is true that North Carolina provides free care for autistic kids or at least care at low cost. My child is 10 year old and is non verbal.
Thanks for answering me.
As others have said, NC might not be your best choice in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary