Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:34 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Well said and worth noting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Who keeps promoting North Hills as "Hip and Urban"? And who are these "You People" anyway?

I just got back from a CA trip a few months ago. We went to the Santa Monica Third Stree Promenade. Absolutely loved it. Why on earth did you expect North Hills to be like that? On that note, I would be dissapointed in Glenwood South in Downtown Raleigh too if I went there expecting to see something along the lines of NYC Times Square.

North Hills is a decent place in the middle of the Suburbs of Raleigh to do some shopping before 8pm, grab a bite to eat afterwards and catch a movie. It isn't Santa Monica, it is isnt Manhattan, it's North Hills in Raleigh, NC.

Hip and Urban? Who ever said that anyway? Too much weight has been put in the PR stuff published on the biased North Hills website I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 07:16 AM

836 posts, read 3,468,894 times
Quote:
Who keeps promoting North Hills as "Hip and Urban"? And who are these "You People" anyway?
Glad it was not just me who was offended by that line. Who is "you people"? When did a suburban mall become "urban"?

Really.............................

Old 08-31-2007, 07:37 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
The promoter is Kane Realty.

They are trying to create something really exciting so they can charge more for the residences they're now building in the second phase of development.

It's way more fun than the old North Hills but certainly not like NYC. Would you really want NYC here? I lived in Manhattan 10 years but the slower pace in Raleigh makes me feel much calmer inside.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:14 PM

81 posts, read 301,279 times
My husband and I just moved to the area from Southern Ca. We would love to see a 3rd St. Promenade or Old Town Pasadena-type development come to fruition here in the Triangle area. We think using some of the original architecture in the downtown areas to create some real night life with tables on the sidewalk, destination restaurants, anchor retail, independent boutiques and entertainment would be fabulous. It seems like if you need to do any shopping you have to go to a "mall" or a strip mall. Yuck! Does anyone know of any planning in the works to create something similar to 3rd St. Prom or Old Town Pasadena? Just curious...

Old 09-01-2007, 10:31 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times
Default what?

I would hate to see anything like Caly here in NC. If you want Caly style go back there. This is North Carolina. We have our own history and style. If you do not like it, tough freaking luck. Why in the hell do you think that we should start west coast style development. We have gone from Raleigh having a population of 65k in 1960 to now 350k. We must be doing something right. No Raleigh native would move to Pasadena and complain that hog jaws, oyster stew, grits, corn beef hash etc are not available. Why all tranplants think we should adapt to them is silly. I would love to find a joint in Pasadena that serves eastern style que with hushpuppies and fried okra on the side. As well as sweet tea with PEEcan pie for deesert. This is NC and not CA.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:34 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
I would hate to see anything like Caly here in NC. If you want Caly style go back there. This is North Carolina. We have our own history and style. If you do not like it, tough freaking luck. Why in the hell do you think that we should start west coast style development. We have gone from Raleigh having a population of 65k in 1960 to now 350k. We must be doing something right. No Raleigh native would move to Pasadena and complain that hog jaws, oyster stew, grits, corn beef hash etc are not available. Why all tranplants think we should adapt to them is silly. I would love to find a joint in Pasadena that serves eastern style que with hushpuppies and fried okra on the side. As well as sweet tea with PEEcan pie for deesert. This is NC and not CA.
No banana pudding?

Old 09-01-2007, 10:42 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
No banana pudding?
Is that Southern though? (I honestly don't know). When my mother in law died, we had of her three of her neighbors bring huge....platters....of banana pudding to the house.

I do agree with those that want to turn parts of Raleigh into something it isn't. We aren't NYC, we aren't So.Cal.....what we are is Raliegh...folks need to flow with that or move on.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:24 PM

842 posts, read 3,228,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
Um....who says that if a Raleigh native were to move to Pasadena that that person wouldn't complain about the lack of hog jaws, oyster stew, grits, corn beef hash, etc...? I'm sure if I moved there, I'd miss eastern style BBQ, and would probably complain about it.

Also, Raleigh is NOT the fastest growing city. Las Vegas had a population of 64k in 1960, and now has a population of 550k. Back in the 50's, Phoenix had a population around 100k, and now it's around 1.5M. So if Raleigh's population growth is proof that we're doing something right, that must mean that Phoenix and Las Vegas are doing something even more right, right? Yea...I didn't think so.

Also, I don't understand the reluctance to new things by locals. Is introducing new foods going to destroy NC heritage or something? Keep in mind that many of the foods considered 'local' are imports from other areas. BBQ? Originated from Africa. Sweet Tea? Originated from India. Imagine if North Carolina never got BBQ and tea because of a reluctance to new things?

Don't be closed-minded to new things. People in this country move around, and they bring their culture and ways of doing things with them (some of them good! Gasp!) Cultures naturally change as societies accept and incorporate new ideas from elsewhere. If you do not like it, tough freaking luck.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:01 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Um....who says that if a Raleigh native were to move to Pasadena that that person wouldn't complain about the lack of hog jaws, oyster stew, grits, corn beef hash, etc...? I'm sure if I moved there, I'd miss eastern style BBQ, and would probably complain about it.
I moved here from Houston to marry my husband. There are lots of things I miss about Texas - the BBQ, the Tex-Mex (which is completely different here), several other types of food you can't get here, even Shipley's donuts and kolaches.

Do I complain? No. I knew it was going to be different - that's one of the things I love about it here. New things to try. It would be very arrogant of me to complain that things aren't the same here as they are in Texas.

Sure I miss those foods, but I compensate. I don't compare the Tex-Mex here to that in Houston - instead, I found new dishes to try here, and learned to make the things I miss in my own kitchen. When I find myself missing Goode Co. BBQ, I go online, order a bottle of their sauce, and cook a brisket at home with it. I also learned how to make kolaches at home, and if I was desperate, I could have a friend ship me some donuts. In the meantime, I've learned to love pork BBQ, and am always open to trying local cuisine.

Quote:
Also, I don't understand the reluctance to new things by locals.
I don't think it's so much a reluctance to try new things, as much as a resentment of people moving here, all too happy to take advantage of a lower cost of living, yet complaining that things aren't the way they are "back home." Well, they're not "back home." They're in a new home - and it would serve them well to show a little more respect. If things are so awful here, they can go back where they came from.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:54 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Claire, I'm on your frequency 100%.

When we moved here in 1989, we went to our son's open school night at East Millbrook Middle. Told Dave's teacher how pleased we were with WCPSS.

She was astounded and told us how so many newcomers were negatively comparing NC schools with wherever they lived before.

Well, if they don't want to be here, no exit visas are required to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary