Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 12:47 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times

Advertisements

Saturn, I know you are a reasonable person, but you can't just go and add a second and third floor to a huge building built 30 years ago. Besides, I know for a fact that there are fire code issues with tall school buildings. Cary Elementary is 2 stories and I was in the office one day when they were doing a fire drill. The principal and office assistant were "timing" the drill and the principal kept commenting that they were taking too long. The secretary made a comment back that most 2 story elementary schools had a very difficult time meeting the time requirements for fire drills and most of the new elementary schools were all being built on one floor for safety reasons.

Plus, I think portable classrooms are a perfectly reasonable solution in comparison to drastic moves such as eminent domain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 12:57 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
I was used to 4-6 floor schools in some areas and fire drills went well if the students were directed to separate staircases by group.

Yes, the poor construction probably wouldn't support added floors, but schools could be replaced by multi-floor structures possibly built on the athletic field. When the work was done, the old building could then be made into the athletic field.

Hearing 20 year old buildings described as worn out makes me wonder who built them. My daughter went to PS 40 in NYC. It was 6 floors tall, almost 100 years old, and still stronger than the junk built today.

I'd much prefer a permanent fix using eminent domain to acquire more land rather than allowing trailers to proliferate.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:35 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
I don't think the old buildings are worn out at all, in fact many of the old schools look just as great as they did when they were built. They just weren't designed to have another floor added.

And instead of the expense of building a new permanent structure on top of an athletic field, it makes more sense TO ME, to use portable classrooms that can be moved easily if they are no longer necessary rather than deal with demolition on school grounds.

But that's just my opinion, I'm sure others have their own too .

Old 08-28-2007, 03:06 PM

107 posts, read 425,361 times
Default I hope this means I will have no problem finding a job

The town I grew up in had the same problem. Everyone knew the town was growing quickly but by the time a new school was built it was always too little too late.
I hope this means I will have no trouble finding a job next year when I move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
Oh for sure, but how long are they going to be able to keep this up? Sure some new schools are on the books, but what about next year when they once again see all the new students coming in?
This is not exactly new for Wake County and they really need to get a grip on things. Every year they say, we have a shortage of teachers, we did not expect this many students, and add to that a shortage of classroom space.
You have a pretty good inkling with more development, more houses, more companies coming in equals more students will be in the area also.

The modulars are the least of the problems.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:27 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemteacher View Post
The town I grew up in had the same problem. Everyone knew the town was growing quickly but by the time a new school was built it was always too little too late.
I hope this means I will have no trouble finding a job next year when I move.

hee hee,
I do wish you the best if you are headed down friend,

Old 08-28-2007, 06:51 PM

847 posts, read 3,523,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemteacher View Post
The town I grew up in had the same problem.
I went to about 10 different school systems growing up, and I there is only one I cannot remember having trailers, and that was in Alaska which at the time at least had a very well-funded school system (oil money). Other than that, all had trailers. And in the 90s I remember seeing them at Chapel Hill High. I conclude it is a very common thing.

In fact, in Georgia, the specials trailer was actually an RV. This came in useful when we wanted to go on a field trip, but otherwise was kid of awkward to have class in.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:27 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Vicki,

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and smells like a duck, it IS a duck.

These "modular classrooms" are pieces of cheap junk compared to a regular classroom attached to the school facilities.

It's not the walk. Exercise is great. It's the crappy temporary feel of these shacks.

We're still friends, right?
Now now Saturnfan...if I get another neg point just cuz I'm talking to you, I am gonna be MAD!!! Just kidding.

Ok...I was being a bit smart alecky. Yhea, yhea, I know you find that hard to believe of ME!

However, whats the big deal anyway? Its a classroom thats somewhat separated from the other classrooms. It has heat and air. It has chairs and desks. So whats wrong? Why are you so against them?

I have 4 kids. Three have graduated from Wake county Schools. My youngest just started high school. She has never cared if she is in a mod. classroom or the reg. classroom, nor does she care most of what goes around her! As long as she is in class with her friends, she is happy. As long as she is getting A's, hubby and I are happy.

So what do you have against them? Am I still on the right topic???

Vicki

Old 08-29-2007, 03:58 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
As someone planning a move to Wake County, with five kids who will be in the schools-the trailers don't put me off one bit.

They are not common where I now live, but my kids' school does have a few-they were coveted because they had air conditioning! (they start school today, it'll be near 90 and no ac.) The main building had been renovated a decade ago, but the roof was found to be leaking and mold growing a few years ago-with my kids there-EXCEPT in the trailers, which were in good shape. They seem to be built solidly enough.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:48 AM

204 posts, read 845,908 times
We're in Delaware, and my daughter's middle school (grown to nearly 1,000 students) has several trailer classrooms. They're really quite nice--spacious and airy with heat and air conditioning. They're located a very short walk from the main school building, so even in the rain they can make a quick dash and barely get wet. She has no problems with them at all. We'll be moving to the Raleigh area shortly and are not put out at all by the idea of modular classrooms.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:38 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Hey Vicki, I didn't give you any negative ratings, you're my pal and I love to joust with you at times. If I were to want to buy a home, however, you'd be getting a call from me to be my agent.

My son was in the trailers at Millbrook when he attended there (graduated in 2000). They were in the back on a muddy lot and poorly marked with room numbers.

Honestly, the rows of these things looked like a super low budget trailer park like the ones you see getting constant attention on the "Cops" show.

The floors felt weak and these structures just seemed to be, as we said in NYC, dreck (poop for you non NYC readers).

Since enrollment is going up, permanent structures are the real answer.

Now, when a building at East Millbrook Middle burned to the ground just after my son moved up to HS, a temporary cluster of trailers was set up in the parking lot while the permanent building was reconstructed. That's the only good use for these things in my opinion.

I may not always agree with you, Vicki, but respect your knowledge and spunk in assisting your clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary