Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 02:28 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,515 times

Advertisements

A neighbor has started building a fence on my property in downtown Wake Forest. No surveyor's stake is at the front of our properties but the stake IS present at the back (and jives w/ the fences erected by the neighbors in the back). This neighbor has erected posts that are about 18 inches onto my property, until the very back of our yards, when he juts his posts in to respect the boundary line.

Truthfully, I don't care terribly. He's annoying, so a fence of his yard will go a long way to limiting our interaction. But I'm frustrated by his (continued) arrogance, and don't want to face an issue in the not so far of future should I try to sell my house and have the neighbor appropriating about 200 sq feet of my property.

What should I do? Speaking to him just made him laugh. I've read that I might have him sign a written permission for the fence which protects my property ownership and mitigates the potential for adverse possession to be claimed (though I'm not sure I'd get him to sign it). I"m not really in the market to drop $$ on an official survey and court costs to sue him over this. Thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 04:01 PM

6 posts, read 31,199 times
If he basically knows that he's building this on your property, you have to decide if it's worth the conflict. If he builds the fence and it remains there, over time you may lose the right to that property due to "uncontested encroachment".

It's probably easiest to straighten this out before he builds it. Is there any real disagreement about where the property line is? If he agrees where the line is, and it's very clear where the line is, I'd point out that he can't build this fence without trespassing on your property, and you won't allow that, and that if he builds something on your property, it's basically your fence, you can tear it down if you want, or have it torn down and send him the bill. If you're certain you know where the line is, you could probably call the cops when he tries to build on your property. Tell him you don't want to do that kind of thing, you'd like to work this out as neighbors, but you don't want him to just trample on your rights either.

If he disagrees with you on where the property lines are, tell him you trust the markers, but if he thinks they are wrong, you would like to know his evidence. If he wants to pay for a surveyor, let him.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:06 PM

6 posts, read 31,199 times
Also: according to this site, a permit is required to build a fence in Wake Forest:

Quote:
WAKE FOREST [PERMIT REQUIRED]
DOWNLOAD APPLICATION HERE: https://www.wakeforestnc.gov/client_...pplication.pdf
If he's building a fence without a permit, he's got a problem. If he has a permit, and he's building on your property, that probably gives you leverage to have the permit revoked.

I'd talk to these people and ask their advice:

Town of Wake Forest Planning Department
221 Brooks Street
Wake Forest, NC 27587
(919) 554-6140 Fax: (919) 554-6607

I wouldn't be surprised if he needs to get the property line surveyed before he can get a permit to build a fence.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:11 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Default +1 Let the Public Officials do their job for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootstrap View Post
Also: according to this site, a permit is required to build a fence in Wake Forest:

If he's building a fence without a permit, he's got a problem. If he has a permit, and he's building on your property, that probably gives you leverage to have the permit revoked.

221 Brooks Street
Wake Forest, NC 27587
But if he is this much of a jerk, wait until it is 100% complete (to maximize his out of pocket costs) before creating a formal complaint!

I know of an instance where a person had to demolish a two story wing recently added to their home because they failed to get proper permits.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:14 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootstrap View Post

221 Brooks Street
Wake Forest, NC 27587

I wouldn't be surprised if he needs to get the property line surveyed before he can get a permit to build a fence.
I'll call tomorrow to confirm, but was fairly certain that a permit was only required if the total area being fenced was greater than .50 acre -- our lots are .25-.30 acres, so total fenced area would be far below the requirement. Still, a good heads up, and I'll certainly confirm.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:15 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
You might not care but if you ever decide to sell, this will be huge issue.

Nip it, nip it in the bud.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:18 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
You might not care but if you ever decide to sell, this will be huge issue.

Nip it, nip it in the bud.
True. It will create a huge issue on the survey and title search. Headaches now don't become less of a headache when 20 years go by. They just get bigger.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:58 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalrenee View Post
I'll call tomorrow to confirm, but was fairly certain that a permit was only required if the total area being fenced was greater than .50 acre -- our lots are .25-.30 acres, so total fenced area would be far below the requirement. Still, a good heads up, and I'll certainly confirm.
Ask WF about set back laws as well. Some cities say you have to set your fence back x number of inches or feet from the property line. Given he is over the property line or right on it (at the back) he would be out of compliance w/ this law. Set back laws are usually independent of permitting.

Good luck!!!

Old 01-08-2012, 05:19 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Jump on it ASAP, this is a big issue if he is putting a fence onto your property. Do not let this issue fester.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:06 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
If you have a poor relationship already - a bad two way relationship, meaning he knows you think he's a jerk before this matter - then just turn it over to the authorities.

According to you, he has scoffed at your property rights. He hasn't disputed whether the fence is within his boundaries or not.
Now, I would say act now, and let him know - use any means you wish - that you're reporting him NOW, rather than wait until his monetary loss is maximized.

Waiting until he's done only escalates the situation. Why be the one that chooses that route now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary