Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:47 PM

73 posts, read 397,430 times

Advertisements

hi everyone,

well, my job search is on...

we're definitely moving to the raleigh area in sept/oct ... it just all hinges on me finding a job.

up here in MA i work for a mid size company and i love that personal feeling!! about 10-20 staff, everyone knows everyone, etc etc. a feel-good place!

i'm in advertising/pr/media/web but also specialize in management of those fields in my current position. currently vp of sales and marketing for a large business membership organization.

the question i have is what are some good companies to work for down in NC in the Raleigh area? there's so many large ones headquartered and in RTP, i wonder where my line of work might be best suited in?

i'd be interested in hearing your advice or your personal stories of where you work, or what company and why you like it (without giving away the farm) ... or just general good news about a certain company you've heard or know is a great company to work for, perks, people, environment, etc etc.

its frustrating over the web... looking through a weeks old job postings for these large global companies in RTP through their website or monster or other matters on the web. i've found this messageboard to be a "gem" and a wealth of knowledge! normal people work day to day down there right?? lol, i've got to find one of those jobs all i need is 1!

anyways, any tips you could give me would be great! if you'd like to keep it more confidential, Private Message me.

btw, since this is my first major career move (i've been employed and promoted in the same company from 1999-2007) are there any types of executive search firms or recruiters you would reccomend working with in the area? i'd be curious to hear the natives' points of view on those.

again, thank you so much.

its a big step for my wife and I. we are taking a leap of faith!! up here in MA, it is a dead end street when it comes to buying a home and starting a family... ($400,000+ to start on an antiquated home from the 50's with major repair needed). we did the trip down to Raleigh in April, with Rebekah Moorehead (she's great) and are all set on moving.

its a really hard relocation, since I just can't be "transferred" or work from home. how does one go about interviewing in other states, lol, while working for a small to mid-sized business? if you have a story you feel comfortable sharing, im all ears.

my wife and i doing a lot of things for the first time!
1) moving to a different state (far away from MA)
2) both needing to start new careers/jobs
(mine more importantly, since we want to start a family in the next 2 years)
3) have no family in the area
4) buy a home

all these big things at once! its kind of overwhelming! we're nervous, but confident it's the right thing to do. and we had to wait until Sept to have enough money saved for this huge transition ... and we almost do!! we've been working hard for 7+ years, saving $$, living in crappy apartments, working 40-60 hours a week just to earn enough savings to get out of MA.

anybody who's done it before or can help in any way, it would be extremely appreciated!

this messageboard has been wonderful to us. it was what initially got us interested in moving to NC. and it was so useful in my other thread on helping us plan our first initial visit to the Raleigh area and what to look for. we even found our realtor through it!

thanks guys for being great and keep your fingers crossed for us!
again, those with any knowledge or who feel like sharing, i am all ears!!!

Bear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 09:26 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
Check out posts by The Beast. I've saved a lot of the information he posted. Here's one of the links:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...icinity-2.html

Old 06-12-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Check out posts by The Beast. I've saved a lot of the information he posted. Here's one of the links:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...icinity-2.html
thanks

is he strictly tech jobs?

i'll top his thread

Old 06-12-2007, 02:37 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
Your best bet is to work with a recruiter. They'll be able to find the jobs for you, and don't limit yourself to just one, you can have multiple recruiters looking for you.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:43 PM

150 posts, read 599,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
Your best bet is to work with a recruiter. They'll be able to find the jobs for you, and don't limit yourself to just one, you can have multiple recruiters looking for you.
Best advice for moving to the area not knowing a thing!!! Need some names of recruiters? What area are you moving to? Where are you from in MA?

Old 06-12-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernpixie View Post
Best advice for moving to the area not knowing a thing!!! Need some names of recruiters? What area are you moving to? Where are you from in MA?
wake forest, clayton or holly springs

moving from north shore of boston - boston/peabody/gloucester - where i work, general area, home

yes good recruiter names... im posting from work...yikes!

Old 06-12-2007, 02:51 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
Also, try the internet to search for recruiters in your field.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
Also, try the internet to search for recruiters in your field.
yup. hard from work here...

ill do some more research tonight..when i get home

Old 06-12-2007, 02:57 PM

150 posts, read 599,321 times
I'lll get some recruiter names for you. Stop POSTING at work or you might need a job sooner!!!!!

If you want infor on Wake Forest, Youngsville, North Raleigh, Rolesville, Franklin County just let me know.

I asked about Mass because I have a very good friend that lives in Barre.

Take care

Old 06-12-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernpixie View Post
I'lll get some recruiter names for you. Stop POSTING at work or you might need a job sooner!!!!!

If you want infor on Wake Forest, Youngsville, North Raleigh, Rolesville, Franklin County just let me know.

I asked about Mass because I have a very good friend that lives in Barre.

Take care
thanks...

yeah, i just had some time today to look... ive never looked while at work... ive worked here for 7 years, i have a VP office, so people cant come in without me seeing them and i'm the only IT guy, ...our other IT guy is offsite and has no official ties to the organziation, plus he's a good friend of mine from college, not the president's

even if my boss caught me looking for another job, he'd counter-offer whatever up to $50,000 to keep me here he's said. I believe him. I've got $10,000 raises per year for the last 5 years.

but even with a $50,000 raise, i could still not afford to live on the north shore and have my wife stay home and start a family... that's the conditions up here where i live. sad huh? i'm basically being forced out and my wife and i make a combined income of $125,000/ year.

that's why everybody's leaving MA.

oh, and you're friend in Barre is over 100 miles away from me

thanks for the recruiters names in advance. this is the first time i've done anything like this.

Bear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary