Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:20 AM

137 posts, read 241,740 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a good used Toyota truck. I have been browsing Autotrader and such for local listings. Any suggestions for Toyota dealers in the Triangle or within 150 miles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 09:47 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,546,002 times
I bought a used car at Leith Toyota a few years ago. Process was smooth, car was good. Was able to negotiate a fair price for trade-in and the used vehicle.

Just bought a new car from Leith Honda with about the same experience. Check them out.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:11 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
For a variety of reasons (cash for clunkers, etc) prices in the Used Car market are high. Now is a good time to buy a new car.

If you do want to go used, a dealer is usually not an economical choice. I bought my last two cars through Craigslist. Overall, a decent experience, but I did run into someone who was trying to scam me (misrepresenting the car). Regardless of where you buy, get an inspection by an independent mechanic. It saved me a lot of headache and money by alerting me to the issues with the vehicle.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:11 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,546,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
For a variety of reasons (cash for clunkers, etc) prices in the Used Car market are high. Now is a good time to buy a new car.

If you do want to go used, a dealer is usually not an economical choice. I bought my last two cars through Craigslist. Overall, a decent experience, but I did run into someone who was trying to scam me (misrepresenting the car). Regardless of where you buy, get an inspection by an independent mechanic. It saved me a lot of headache and money by alerting me to the issues with the vehicle.
Very true point on the used car market.

We were going to buy a used car, but ended up getting a new one due to great pricing and financing options.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:19 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,731 times
I have been a fan of FredAnderson Toyota in Raleigh on Rte 70 -- for sales and service. I bought a minivan through them new many years ago and more recently bought a 2 yr old minivan from their familystore. Both times, good transactions -- given that it IS a car dealership <smile>. I think you can get a deal on new cars where they provide service for free now -- or some such promotion. If you live in the area, that might be something to think about.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:39 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
I have been a fan of FredAnderson Toyota in Raleigh on Rte 70 -- for sales and service. I bought a minivan through them new many years ago and more recently bought a 2 yr old minivan from their familystore. Both times, good transactions -- given that it IS a car dealership <smile>. I think you can get a deal on new cars where they provide service for free now -- or some such promotion. If you live in the area, that might be something to think about.
I bought several new Corollas and a Scion from Anderson but find their service far inferior to Leith.

Anderson used to be class. In my opinion. it's now a "schlock" store.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:39 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
I've bought my last two Toyota trucks at Sir Walter Chevrolet. I just got lucky and found what I wanted at a REALLY good price both times. I bought both well under KBB value. Of course these weren't recent, as I tend to keep a vehicle a long time.

My 1st truck I bought used in around 1995. I traded it in in 2002 and it had 240,000 miles on it. The one I traded for then, I still drive. It's got 168,000 on it.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:08 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,421 times
We too had a poor experience trying to buy a used car recently. Everything is extremely overpriced. On top of that, dealerships charge 400$ "processing fee".

We ended up buying two Lexuses (Lexi?) from private sellers. Very happy with both transactions.

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:01 AM

554 posts, read 1,154,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post

So how does this work, exactly? How do you get the inspection from an independent mechanic? Do you take the car there (or the seller does?) prior to purchase? Is there just a gentleman's agreement that you will bring the car back? I'm a pretty trusting person, but I'm not sure I'd let my car go with someone I didn't know so they could get an independent inspection. What if something happens during the trip to/from the mechanic? Who is responsible?

I'm asking because we are looking for a "new to us" used car. I don't know how this works and I don't want to be scammed. But I also don't want to deal with the dealership price hikes and taxes, etc.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 3,589 times
Don't lock yourself into a Toyota dealership. Most dealerships have used car departments with a variety to choose from. You may find a Toyota at a Ford store for a better price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary