Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:39 PM

175 posts, read 913,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
Hi there,
We relocated from NJ (where I think we had one of the highest insurance rates in the nation) to NC 1 1/2 years ago.

I did the same thing as you. I called our national auto insurance company and switched states. They gave me the same song/dance when I asked them why no change in rates.

SO...I called some local auto insurance companies...and GET THIS......the rate dropped by 50%!!!! It appears that if you stay with your same insurance company and simply switch states, THEY WILL GET (edited here because my original word that does not begin with an F didn't get past the filters) YOU.

We are good drivers (no points or anything) with 2 cars and were paying over $2000/year. Now we pay $1,000 year. You can get an online quote from Geico just to test it out....which is where we went. They were cheapest. But the local AllState offered a price not much higher and we have our home ins with them so there'd be a discount. Someday I'll move it over.

I try to plaster this all over this board to make sure people KNOW not to use their same auto insurance company. My NJ/National company were willing to lose me, a long time customer (which they did) rather than reduce their rates. Whatever.

PASS IT ON!!

Lauren
I would change, but I'm very loyal to USAA...they are a great company and I've no problems with them until now. I think I might call back tomorrow and try to get a 2nd opinion about it...now that I've researched this whole "reinsurance" policy. If still no luck, I might just check out other companies and see what the rate difference would be. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 05:01 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
My rates went up when I moved from the Washington DC area to here. I was pretty surprised as well - I wound up raising my deductibles to $1K just to keep it within a few dollars of my old rates. My agent had no explanation other than the rates were just higher.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:30 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
My rates increased as well moving from CT to NC. I was VERY surprised by that. I may have to look into a change as well. Then again, with the type of drivers I encounter in NC on a daily basis, I am not surprised rates went up!!!

Old 09-05-2007, 07:06 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penner View Post
I would change, but I'm very loyal to USAA...they are a great company and I've no problems with them until now. I think I might call back tomorrow and try to get a 2nd opinion about it...now that I've researched this whole "reinsurance" policy. If still no luck, I might just check out other companies and see what the rate difference would be. Thanks!

My loyalty would walk out the front door if they wouldn't work with me. Unlike MA (where the state sets the rates so it doesn't matter who insures you), NC is competitive. Get another quote from another company. If you still feel loyal, bring the quote back to your present company and ask that they match it. If not, I'd walk.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:13 AM

282 posts, read 835,041 times
I'd have to agree. In my book - good customer service/loyalty might "buy" you 5-10% premium (meaning - I'd be willing to pay said premium), but getting thrown into an assigned risk pool with no justification, no willingness to work with you, and a 50% premium over prevailing market rates just means you're getting, well - "played" (the other word I'm thinking of won't get past the moderator).

Unless you have a really "hot" car which is a high theft risk, or all insurers in the area somehow agree your circumstances dictate a high premium - not getting gouged would at least factor into my decision.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:54 AM

586 posts, read 1,546,034 times
I recently "fired" Amica who had been my auto insurer for the past 18 years after they sent me a letter saying that they could not offer me the best rates since I had opened a new credit account in the past year. (I opened it due to zero percent offer on a transferred balance after we racked up some large expenses from an overseas adoption). Anywho... they did not care and although I had been a great customer and had great service with an excellent credit history, this did not sit well with me. We now have our two vehicles and our home with Farm Bureau. Great service and low fees so far. No claims yet, thank goodness. I am sharing my story in case your credit history may be playing a role in your increase. Good luck with your move.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:57 AM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
That's a good point...your credit history CAN affect your insurance policy.

Personally, I think it's morally reprehensible but it is legal. Liz

Old 09-05-2007, 01:58 PM

271 posts, read 700,543 times
I live in NYC (queens) and I have Geico on 2 Cars I pay 764.10 every Six Months. When I told them I will be moving down to Zipcode 27513 ( Cary) I was just quoted at 342.90 every six Months. $420 less

Old 09-05-2007, 06:03 PM

101 posts, read 594,281 times
Yep,

Was paying $1600/yr for 2 cars in NJ, once we moved to NC I switched to Geico and am paying exactly half of that--$800/yr. Just spend 15 min on-line to get a free quote--their website is very user-friendly and any CSR I have ever spoken too has been very helpful.

Taryn

Old 09-05-2007, 06:30 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
OP, I defenitely think you should shop around. That loyalty might be costing you big $. Did they have a good reason for throwing you into the high-risk pool?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary