Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:51 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,444,623 times

Advertisements

I've started a fairly popular thread based off of developments in Greenville, so I'll try to see if it works here.

What new developments are taking place in the Triangle? Last time I visited (August of last year I believe) some new construction was occurring in Downtown Raleigh, I believe it was some tower and a museum (or museum expansion). Are they complete yet?

Also is light-rail (or some type of rail) still planned for the Triangle?

Last edited by BMORE; 02-10-2012 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 06:59 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,985 times
The Museum of Natural History expansion is slated to open this spring with the SECU Tower opening after that. I think light rail will always be a twinkle in our eye with the rate the plans are moving.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:03 AM

924 posts, read 2,104,932 times
BMOREBOY, are you asking about all developments occurring throughout the Triangle? Despite the down real estate market, there's actually still tons of development going on across the area, just not as much as there was five or ten years ago. Or are you asking specifically about the downtown Raleigh area, or perhaps also the downtowns of the other area municipalities? In downtown Raleigh, unfortunately, almost all of the commercial and residential development that had been planned a few years ago have been canceled or put on hold due to the economy and the real estate market. Most of what's actively occurring now is more of a government or civic nature. That includes the huge expansion of the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences that you referred to, sprawling across two blocks to the west of the original main building, including two enclosed walkways spanning Salisbury Street and McDowell Street. The tallest building project currently downtown is the State Employees Credit Union building that evaofnc mentioned, which is being built on Salisbury Street right behind the "Green Square" part of the museum expansion. It will only be about 12 stories tall, but that constitutes a mid-level skyscraper by Raleigh standards. The Wake County Justice Center is nearing completion, and appears to be an attractive but ordinary institutional building on Martin Street between Salisbury and McDowell Streets. Many of us in Raleigh are particularly excited about the new headquarters of the North Carolina chapter of the American Institute of Architects, which is a bold, distinctive, ambitious-looking low-slung building with platinum LEED-certification, also nearing completion on the north end of the downtown area, on Peace Street at Wilmington, across from Peace University. the newest development (that I'm aware of) is the new North Carolina State Bar building which has recently broken ground at the northeast corner of Edenton and Blount streets. I believe it's also supposed to be sort of a bland, imposing, institutional building, only four or five stories tall, but at least it's LEED silver-certified. That's pretty much it in downtown Raleigh at the moment, although as the economy improves, there will surely be more. Is that what you're looking for? Do you want info on other developments as well? I hope this helps.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:25 AM

Tompope I just want to know the developments all around the triangle, not just to inform me but others too. It's sort of of a discussion thread about developments that's all.

Evaofnc yeah I thought it was the SECU tower but I had to make sure.

Luckily I may be up that way today so I'll get to see what developmens are occurring as of now.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:27 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times
Tom Pope: You are correct that the high-rise housing projects were canned or on hold but there are about a half dozen low/mid rise housing projects going forward in and around DT Raleigh right now. Two of the projects in Glenwood South are already having their sites prepared. The mixed use development at the Hillsborough/Morgan split is underway as is the Gallery at Cameron Village.

The new Hampton Inn and Suites is out of the ground and a few floors up in concrete on Glenwood as well. Given that construction has been slowed significantly by the recession, DT Raleigh is actually seeing a lot of activity.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:51 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,264,777 times
The Triangle might be a too large of an area. It might need to get broken up into more sections. Raleigh, Cary, Durham, CH, South Wake, etc

Old 02-11-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Tom Pope: You are correct that the high-rise housing projects were canned or on hold but there are about a half dozen low/mid rise housing projects going forward in and around DT Raleigh right now. Two of the projects in Glenwood South are already having their sites prepared. The mixed use development at the Hillsborough/Morgan split is underway as is the Gallery at Cameron Village.

The new Hampton Inn and Suites is out of the ground and a few floors up in concrete on Glenwood as well. Given that construction has been slowed significantly by the recession, DT Raleigh is actually seeing a lot of activity.
Glad to hear the recession didn't effect Raleigh much. I remember once there was a project called the Soleil Center by Crabtree that was going to be constructed, is there any word on if any other development will go on the site?

Old 02-11-2012, 05:10 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,775,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Glad to hear the recession didn't effect Raleigh much. I remember once there was a project called the Soleil Center by Crabtree that was going to be constructed, is there any word on if any other development will go on the site?
As someone who works I'm commercial construction here I can tell you the recession affected Raleigh quite severely. Many real estate and construction companies have gone out of business.

Nothing happening at Soleil now. They were trying to sell and I think the lender foreclosed but I can't remember for sure as they were negotiating with them.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:17 PM

924 posts, read 2,104,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post

rnc2mbfl: I didn't mention the Glenwood South, Cameron Village, or Hillsborough & Morgan projects because I didn't think of them as part of the downtown Raleigh area. Of course, "downtown Raleigh" isn't strictly defined, and I know that different people have different ideas of what it encompasses, so it could include those areas (though probably not Cameron village). Regardless, it's academic, since the OP wasn't asking just about downtown Raleigh, and so they all certainly qualify as interesting and noteworthy developments occurring in the Triangle. Myself, I'm particularly excited about Hillsborough & Morgan. But it's all very cool and exciting.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:46 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
rnc2mbfl: I didn't mention the Glenwood South, Cameron Village, or Hillsborough & Morgan projects because I didn't think of them as part of the downtown Raleigh area. Of course, "downtown Raleigh" isn't strictly defined, and I know that different people have different ideas of what it encompasses, so it could include those areas (though probably not Cameron village). Regardless, it's academic, since the OP wasn't asking just about downtown Raleigh, and so they all certainly qualify as interesting and noteworthy developments occurring in the Triangle. Myself, I'm particularly excited about Hillsborough & Morgan. But it's all very cool and exciting.
Actually downtown Raleigh is currently defined and marketed as 5 Districts; Glenwood South is one of them. The city's recent 2030 comprehensive plan also outlines downtown's boundary. I have attached that plan here. So, the projects in Glenwood South are officially downtown projects while the one at Hillsborough and Morgan is just West of the "official" boundary. You are correct that Cameron Village's project is outside of downtown by about 1/2 mile or so.
All that said, how people perceive DT Raleigh is probably fuzzier depending on individual perspective. I know some people who think of almost all of ITB to be "Downtown" while others with a different perspective think of it as only the immediate corridors adjacent to the State Government complexes and Fayetteville St.
In the end, whether officially downtown or not, all of the new projects are going to further downtown's credentials and activity. I am really excited for them to be completed. The towers "lost" are not the death knell of DT. It's people that are going to make a difference and all these DT projects will bring new residents to the area.
Attached Thumbnails
Triangle Area Developments-dtraleigh.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary