Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 10:48 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times

Advertisements

I heard there is such a program in NC that helps seniors with property taxes if you qualify with a lower income (around $27000 a year). Has anyone here taken advantage of this program? I know it exists in Durham Co, but don't know if its the whole state or just certain counties.

The realtor I contacted in Durham never heard of it. Then, after doing some research, he said, yes it does exist and sent me the brochure for Durham Co.

I am qualified by income and age. Can I get this reduction immediately after buying a house? Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 11:44 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I heard there is such a program in NC that helps seniors with property taxes if you qualify with a lower income (around $27000 a year). Has anyone here taken advantage of this program? I know it exists in Durham Co, but don't know if its the whole state or just certain counties.

The realtor I contacted in Durham never heard of it. Then, after doing some research, he said, yes it does exist and sent me the brochure for Durham Co.

I am qualified by income and age. Can I get this reduction immediately after buying a house? Anyone know?
If you are married, it's the household income, regardless of who's name is on the deed.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:54 AM

43,308 posts, read 77,142,685 times
WakeGOV.com - Tax Relief Programs

Some details available there. It is statewide.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:05 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Looks like a very small benefit.

Better to try to find an affordable senior apartment.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:32 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,743,435 times
Don't give up looking for a home rather than an apartment. There are lots of reasonably priced homes around Wake County, especially if you are interested in a smaller home. Or even a townhouse or condo. Why pay someone else's mortgage if you can afford a home for less than you'd be paying for a rental? Even including the home owner's insurance and property taxes, you may be paying less than you would for a rental.
best,
toodie

Old 05-19-2012, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Don't give up looking for a home rather than an apartment. There are lots of reasonably priced homes around Wake County, especially if you are interested in a smaller home. Or even a townhouse or condo. Why pay someone else's mortgage if you can afford a home for less than you'd be paying for a rental? Even including the home owner's insurance and property taxes, you may be paying less than you would for a rental.
best,
toodie
Not if you wind up needing a roof or HVAC unit down the road.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:31 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Not if you wind up needing a roof or HVAC unit down the road.
What do you mean "if you wind up needing..."?
Of course you'll eventually need all of those things. Every structure will eventually need
a new everything from roof shingles down to the sump pump.
But you know what? So will rental houses and apartment buildings.

The issue as a responsible homeowner is to understand this reality and to budget for these expenses...
exactly the same as a responsible landlord will do.

hth

Old 05-19-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What do you mean "if you wind up needing..."?
Of course you'll eventually need all of those things. Every structure will eventually need
a new everything from roof shingles down to the sump pump.
But you know what? So will rental houses and apartment buildings.

The issue as a responsible homeowner is to understand this reality and to budget for these expenses...
exactly the same as a responsible landlord will do.

hth
I'm retired and can't afford to budget for unexpected big bills.

Renting fills that need since my landlord takes care of all repairs with no change in rent during the term of the lease.

Things like broken water lines, water heaters, etc tend to pop up at the worst times. When you're no longer receiving a paycheck, these can really be budget busters.

Also, if you are in a lower tax bracket, deductions from home ownership may be a whole lot less useful.

All depends on your specific financial status.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:45 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I'm retired and can't afford... Renting fills that need...
All depends on your specific financial status.
Exactly. This thread was discussing options for people who have a financial status that gives them some choice in the matter. Specifically someone at retirement age who has some equity in another property in another location that they would like to shift to a property in this location.

But to finish the illustration... do you really think that your LL isn't using a portion of your rent to budget for the inevitable and unexpected repairs and updating costs? Of course they are.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Exactly. This thread was discussing options for people who have a financial status that gives them some choice in the matter. Specifically someone at retirement age who has some equity in another property in another location that they would like to shift to a property in this location.

But to finish the illustration... do you really think that your LL isn't using a portion of your rent to budget for the inevitable and unexpected repairs and updating costs? Of course they are.
I agree, they surely are.

However, no need for me to be able to deal with unexpected high dollar issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary