Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:39 AM

3 posts, read 18,409 times

Advertisements

Hi there, my family will be moving to the Triangle this summer, and I'm a little confused about the Chapel Hill - Carrboro School District. Was hoping someone could clue me in? On a recent visit, we saw that homes in Chapel Hill are more expensive than similar homes in nearby areas, and I assumed that was because of the excellent reputation of the Chapel Hill schools. I searched through past posts on this forum and on other school-data sites, and it looks like Chapel Hill Schools were tops in the state until a few years ago. However, it looks like Chapel Hill High School and East Chapel Hill High took a serious nosedive a few years ago. Now they're ranked 421st and 341st out of 598 public schools in NC respectively -- so they're in the bottom half. In 2010-11, only 43% of ECHHS 10th graders were proficient in Reading and Math. I know test scores aren't the only indication of a school's quality, but those scores are a little eyebrow-raising. What's going on here? Is the Chapel Hill - Carrboro School District still tops in the state? I'd be willing to pay a premium for a house to get my kids into a great school district. But not to get my kids into a declining school district. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!! Sorry for the length of this post!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 11:57 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,949 times
Where are you getting your data? I don't live in CH, but those numbers definitely don't sound correct.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:24 PM

The data comes from both greatschools.org and schooldigger.com. I would love it if someone could tell me that this info is inaccurate and reassure me that the Chapel Hill - Carrboro School District is still tops, because we otherwise loved the area when we visited ... But I'm not sure what could explain those numbers ... ?

Old 02-28-2012, 12:47 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
this is the official State Dept of Education site, providing equivalent data on all the state's school systems. It is the site I use, though it does require you to look down the page at broken-down statistics, not just the top line.

NC School Report Cards

If you look only at the one number - the Algebra 1 score - indeed it is 44%. But the Algebra2 score was above 90% and taken by FAR more students.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:59 PM

Thanks, BoBramhal! That link was very, very helpful ... Much obliged!

Old 02-28-2012, 01:21 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
my pleasure!

Old 02-28-2012, 01:26 PM

63 posts, read 142,333 times
We moved to chapel hill 3 months back from north east. we like living here, kid goes to elementary school....so, dont know about high school. I feel that standard of education in the elementary school is pretty good considering the fact that i have an advanced learner.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
If you look only at the one number - the Algebra 1 score - indeed it is 44%. But the Algebra2 score was above 90% and taken by FAR more students.
Algebra 1 is a middle school course. Students taking it in high school are almost by definition deficient in math.

In Chapel Hill-Carrboro in 2010, 95.2 percent of white high school students were proficient in math, compared to 52.3 percent of black students and 70.3 percent of Latino students. In reading, 93 percent of white high school students were proficient in reading compared to 62.2 percent of black students and 59.7 percent of Latino students.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:35 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Algebra 1 is a middle school course. Students taking it in high school are almost by definition deficient in math.
Is this a new thing? When I was in middle school only very advanced students were allowed to take Algebra I in 8th grade. Everyone else took it in 9th grade.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:14 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Here are some facts from the district's web site:
Quote:
CHCCS has the state's highest districtwide SAT score at 1,194, or 1,776 when the writing component is included. The state average is 1,008, and the national average is 1,017. This high average was attained while more than 85 percent of the district's eligible students took the test. More than 1,200 of our high school students are enrolled in challenging Advanced Placement (AP) courses. This participation has earned the district's high schools ranking in the Washington Post’s list of top high schools. In 2011, Carrboro High ranked 145, East Chapel Hill High ranked 158 and Chapel Hill High ranked 165. Nearly 92 percent of last year's graduating senior class went on to two- or four-year institutions of higher learning. Thirty-seven students in the current graduating class were named National Merit Finalists. CHCCS has North Carolina's second highest four-year cohort graduation rate at 89.0 percent. CHCCS has the state's lowest dropout rate at .95 percent. East Chapel Hill High School was recognized by the North Carolina State Board of Education having one of the state’s top 10 highest graduation rates.Thirty-three percent of the district's students are identified as gifted. More than 87 percent of students in grades 3-8 are proficient on state-mandated End-of-Grade tests in reading, while more than 93 percent of them are proficient on the End-of-Grade tests in mathematics. At the high school level, 88 percent of students are proficient on state-mandated End-of-Course tests. For the 2010-2011 school year, CHCCS had one of the state's highest per pupil expenditures at $10,625.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary