Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 02:47 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times

Advertisements

That doesn't make them obligated to serve every swiming related association in the triangle who want to use it. It's not a public pool being funded by taxpayers dollars, they have their own board. It's well within thier scope to create their own year round swim team and use their facility to serve their own team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 02:59 PM

363 posts, read 1,212,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
That doesn't make them obligated to serve every swiming related association in the triangle who want to use it. It's not a public pool being funded by taxpayers dollars, they have their own board. It's well within thier scope to create their own year round swim team and use their facility to serve their own team.
got it. so you are clearly a titan. because your arguments are no more than the "we can do what we want" that we hear from them

i would argue they are obligated. rsa and wave are very long, well established clubs serving the needs of the triangle much longer than titan and most of those associated with them. while they may not be obligated to let any old new club use the pool, there certainly is an obligation given the nature of how this pool was created to serve those who have deep roots in the community both from a swim and geographical standpoint

for those of you reading who are not familiar with the swim 'scene', please don't take this as typical of the level of behavior and politics within swimming. it is rather unique to this one club that was created from nowhere to try and takeover the base of other long established and very positive swim clubs (neither of whom i have any association with -however the club i do belong to is boycotting this club as a result of its behavior)

Old 07-21-2013, 03:04 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
Um..no, not associated with any of them. Just an observer interested competitive swimming. I'm a former RSA'er (way before TAC ever existed and RSA swam elsewhere).

Old 07-21-2013, 03:15 PM

363 posts, read 1,212,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Um..no, we're not associated with any of them. Just an observer interested competitive swimming. I'm a former RSA'er (way before TAC ever existed and RSA swam elsewhere).
then my apologies. in that case we are simply very far apart on opinion. i truly cannot understand how you can support that a club created by the center basically gets to kick out other clubs at will.

i've actually looked into the prospectus of the debt use to finance this place (the bond cusip is 65819GCY2 if you are curious to look it up yourself, yielding 3.8% and not due until 2037 - let our kids pay it back!) and again the borrower is clearly described as "for the health, safety, recreation and competition needs of Wake County citizens and aquatic organizations". That is plural and covers the whole county. It does not say "for the health, safety, recreation and competition needs of a swim club to be formed by members of the management team only". So the financing that made this possible was on the premise of a center for the benefit of the whole of Wake County. Not for the City of Cary and absolutely not for one egotistical swim club.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:19 PM

137 posts, read 306,353 times
Let me preface this by saying, I am a Wave parent who will not be joining the Titans. I look at it like this, if it were my private club, it would be in my best interest to form my own home team, that over the course of many years could also prove to be a highly respected club. I know TAC received much fundraising when being reopened (really wish the Town of Cary had bought it), but when all that was done Wave & RSA signed contracts and were aware of what would occur down the line. Had they never known they would be asked to leave and were booted without any notification, I would be very upset, but this was not the case. Do I think that it would be the right thing to do to allow RSA and Wave to continue to have lane space, even limited, yes I do. I have a lot of respect for Wave and RSA and still hate to see them with this predicament. But, I don't don't see the Titans as a morally corrupt team.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,795 times
Here is one main difference between TAC and other teams - TAC's goal is to have a really big team so they can compete with MAC in Charlotte. Think along the lines of teacher/student ratio. Do kids get more attention, better instruction in a classroom with a 1:40 ratio or a 1:16 ratio? The other programs (RSA and WAVE) have lower ratios, therefore providing more attention/instruction per swimmer, so especially if you have younger kids, going to TAC won't really be of a great benefit to them. Just fyi - if you look at Olympic level swimmers, they usually come from smaller swim programs. There are exceptions, of course, but mostly they come from programs where they get a good amount of instruction and attention. So it really depends on whether or not you want your child to be just a number, or if you want the coaches to know who they actually and how they can help them become better swimmers.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:45 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeResident View Post
if you look at Olympic level swimmers, they usually come from smaller swim programs. There are exceptions, of course, but mostly they come from programs where they get a good amount of instruction and attention.
It's probably pretty evenly split, not to hijack the thread.

Last edited by Kids_Dentist; 08-14-2013 at 07:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary