Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,075 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone!

My daughter is currently in the Triangle Aquatics Center (TAC) Torpedoes Blue Squad which appears to be a great jumping off point into one of the area swim teams. I only know of Raleigh Swimming Association (RSA) swim team and New Wave swim team. Both of these teams train at TAC so either one would be convenient for us since we're real close to there.

I'm interested in any information I can find comparing the two teams. Do they have different philosophies? Is one hypercompetitive and the other more recreational? What other impressions do you have about them?

My daughter loves to swim but she's a bit anxious about competing. We'll definitely keep her in torpedoes a while since she can get discourages pretty easily if she has to start at the very bottom and try to work her way up against much more experienced swimmers. We want to make sure she keeps her love for swimming!

Thanks for sharing your insights!
Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,719 times
Check out the new tac titans! They are great!
We have 3kids on the team of different abilities.
We love the coach interaction and family atmosphere
Tac brings.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:12 AM

137 posts, read 306,171 times
I would also recommend checking out the new TAC Titans. I know there were issues with lane availability with New Wave and RSA for the coming Fall at the TAC location. Both teams were scouting new pools. We did NW and thought they were good. I would have also considered RSA. The nice thing is, you choose which meets you want your child to compete in. NW (and probably RSA) had intrasquad meets which were less competitive.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:23 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
I've also heard that both teams are looking for new practice locations in the fall and may no longer be at TAC.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:58 AM

363 posts, read 1,212,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I've also heard that both teams are looking for new practice locations in the fall and may no longer be at TAC.
Yes both teams got booted out of TAC because the owner is basically abusing their power in forming Titans and then kicking everyone else out. If you have no moral fiber, TAC Titans is perfect for you. Otherwise I'd look to another club

Old 07-21-2013, 12:01 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
How are they abusing their power? It's not a pubilc pool, they can do whatever they want in their facility.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:05 PM

137 posts, read 306,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
Yes both teams got booted out of TAC because the owner is basically abusing their power in forming Titans and then kicking everyone else out. If you have no moral fiber, TAC Titans is perfect for you. Otherwise I'd look to another club
I had originally heard this about TAC, as well, but when I looked into it more, it came out that TAC had always wanted to form their own team and that Wave and RSA were well aware of that and knew their contract would be coming to an end this year. So, with that said, it doesn't make the Titans sound so bad.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
How are they abusing their power? It's not a pubilc pool, they can do whatever they want in their facility.
Where do you want me to start?

TAC was funded by charitable cash raising and debt both pitched as providing a place for the public AT LARGE to be able to utilize the swim facilities. And now the owners are abusing their power to monopolize the use of the pool. I'm sure if you'd chipped in to the funding you wouldn't be happy to hear that thriving clubs like RSA and Wave basically got taken apart by the greed of those running an apparent charitable organization. Not to mention the debtors who expect to be able to maximize fees which wiping out competition hardly does.

It is not right to think of TAC as privately owned. It was built on charitable foundations for the benefit of the community, not a handful of individuals.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmom2 View Post
I had originally heard this about TAC, as well, but when I looked into it more, it came out that TAC had always wanted to form their own team and that Wave and RSA were well aware of that and knew their contract would be coming to an end this year. So, with that said, it doesn't make the Titans sound so bad.
Yeah I guess that is how the Titans guys are spinning it to make themselves look better

Old 07-21-2013, 12:13 PM

From TriangleAquatics.org, About Us, Mission Statement:

To build and operate public aquatic facilities
for the health, safety, recreation, and competition needs
of Triangle citizens and aquatic organizations.

I am all ears as to how preventing clubs that are not affiliated with the ownership of Titans using the facility helps achieve this mission. Go for it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary