Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 12:54 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times

Advertisements

As a nurse practitioner, I was going to let you know the feel for job arena, openings, licensure info - until i realized you plan on moving here in 5 years! A lot can change in a year, never mind 5. Come back on CD in 4 years and we'll talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 02:34 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
The way Homeowners Associations (HOA) work is that the rules are set in advance and you can (and should) get a copy before you decide. There is of course leeway on how strict things are enforced and there are some things like adding on other major changes that are typically reviewed by the management company and/or an architectural committee (again based on preset rules). But it is not like there are votes on specific items each time. The only time the association at large might vote is if there is some change proposed to the rules.

Also, keep in mind that 99%+ of all HOAs operate completely under the radar and don't bother anyone. It's the very few that get out of control that make the news. The best way to make sure that does not happen is to volunteer for yours and be a voice of reason.

The rest of your post sounds reasonable right now. As others mentioned things will change.

There are definitely few houses with basements here and those that do are usually on a sloped lot with the back being a walk out type of basement and those lots and houses are usually at a premium. The soils here are just jpnot good for a fully recessed basement.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 PM

192 posts, read 312,950 times
Planning ahead is good. I would take mini vacations every year if possible and visit different neighborhoods everytime you come. Also take advantage of all of the information offered on this forum in that time span. Many things are prone to change in 5 years. I've been here alittle over 4 and have seen soo many changes. Roads have been widened and neighborhoods built where there only used to be farm land and horses!

Rocio

Old 03-08-2012, 09:20 AM

91 posts, read 189,465 times
Thanks to everyone who replied. It may seem to you that I'm planning too far in advance, but you don't know my husband and how much STUFF he has. It will take the whole time to get him in the mode of getting rid of some of his stuff. If we were the type that could just pack a couple of days and move, I wouldn't think so far ahead. With him, being a ham radio and electronics junky, it will take years just to get him to pare it down so we CAN move.

Also, where I'm from just doesn't change like what you are describing, so I had no idea things would be so different in just five years. If you looked at the small town or even the entire county I'm from, the most that might change in five years are are few houses MIGHT go up, maybe a new sandwich shop, and that's about it. More likely, some businesses would just go out of business and a building or two would fall into further disrepair. I guess these areas you mention are more like the suburbs outside of Cincinnati than where I'm from. I just didn't know things moved and changed so quickly!

It will be a problem not to have a basement, because of all of my husband's stuff. That definitely means a bigger home is necessary, with a BIG room for him to put his things in. We have so many storms and tornadoes here (the one in Holton, IN some of you may have read about in the papers after all the destruction in this area last week- was just a short distance down the road from me...the kids and I were in the basement under a table for over an hour) it's hard to imagine not having a basement. We have hard clay soil as well...maybe red clay soil is harder?

Moving is a really huge thing for anyone in my family to do. Everyone I'm related to lives within a 20 mile radius of the old home place. And I am not tremendously known for sudden changes, so that's why I'm asking questions well ahead of time, but I admit my ignorance about how much things change in just five years. Also.... HOA are a completely foreign concept to me, so that's why I only know about the rotten ones I've heard about in the news! I'll take the advice on traveling there and seeing what it's like, getting the overall vibe. Then I'll check back with all of you as I have questions. I still don't think it's bad to plan ahead, though...knowing my husband!

Cara

P.S. It's not outside possibility that we could move sooner than that. I will have my BSN in two years, and could get my nurse practitioner's license once we moved to NC...so it could be as little as three years if we really liked the area. Remember, though, we have STUFF to get rid of, not to mention a tractor!

Old 03-08-2012, 10:41 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INstix View Post
P.S. It's not outside possibility that we could move sooner than that. I will have my BSN in two years, and could get my nurse practitioner's license once we moved to NC...so it could be as little as three years if we really liked the area. Remember, though, we have STUFF to get rid of, not to mention a tractor!
Just making certain you realize that once you get your BSN, you don't just get a "nurse practitioner's license". You have to complete a master's program and >400 clinical hours first. That being said, Duke has an excellent program as does UNC Chapel Hill and ECU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary