Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:42 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Like after paying hundreds of dollars to build the deck, I was going to say no to an extra $50?!!

That extra $50 was worth it since I KNEW that the deck was then going to be inspected by the city and that it was up to code.

Vicki
Seriously. When I had my home renovated in NY, the permit was over $4,000. We got most of that back after the CO was issued, but still....$50? Come on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 09:51 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Seriously. When I had my home renovated in NY, the permit was over $4,000. We got most of that back after the CO was issued, but still....$50? Come on!
It WAS $50. Now that was about 10 years ago so I don't know what the permit would cost today.

Anyone know?

About 3 years ago, I had sellers that had a small attic permitted after the fact. They were not the homeowners that finished off the attic but they wanted to use that square footage when it came time to sell.

They told me it cost them $200 to re permit (Wake County). Wake County tried to fine them for not permitting the space but they fought that since it was not them that finished the space. They won.

The problem with permitting after the fact is that you may have to remove sheetrock to verify that the correct insulation is there.

http://www.wakegov.com/inspect/fees.htm

$4,000 in NC? I don't think so!

Vicki

Last edited by VickiR; 03-09-2012 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 03-09-2012, 10:14 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
$4,000 in NC? I don't think so!
I get the impression that permits are big business in NY. My dad had to spend about $20,000 getting a CO for my grandparent's house in Yonkers, NY before they could sell it. Evidently a permit had been pulled when my grandfather began building the house (60 years ago), but the process was never completed. Definitely not what you want to find out when you have a buyer that's trying to make a government first time buyer's credit deadline! It all got done in the end and the sale went through though.

Anyhow, the cost of the permit for my rebuilt deck & new screened porch was included in the price of my deck. From looking at the Town of Cary website it probably cost somewhere between $60 and $185. I think they did three inspections along the way before the CO was issued. My taxes did go up a little as well.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:55 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I get the impression that permits are big business in NY. My dad had to spend about $20,000 getting a CO for my grandparent's house in Yonkers, NY before they could sell it. Evidently a permit had been pulled when my grandfather began building the house (60 years ago), but the process was never completed. Definitely not what you want to find out when you have a buyer that's trying to make a government first time buyer's credit deadline! It all got done in the end and the sale went through though.

Anyhow, the cost of the permit for my rebuilt deck & new screened porch was included in the price of my deck. From looking at the Town of Cary website it probably cost somewhere between $60 and $185. I think they did three inspections along the way before the CO was issued. My taxes did go up a little as well.
I think you are right...permits in NY are very different from NC!

I had clients that moved from NY and had to get a permit for a porch that had not been permitted. I remember them telling me that they hired an "expeditor" and they paid him quite a bit of money for doing very little (they said since they weren't satisfied with the outcome and actually had to do most of the work, themselves).

So....welcome to NC!

Vicki

Old 03-09-2012, 11:59 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I get the impression that permits are big business in NY. My dad had to spend about $20,000 getting a CO for my grandparent's house in Yonkers, NY before they could sell it.
Gotta pay for all those gubmint workers somehow. Permits are a cash cow up there - so much the better if you need one for work that was done in the year of the flood.

Expeditors are usually ex-building dept employees looking to supplement their pensions.

I had my attic finished 18 months ago - the permit was about $100. Obviously we saw that as a bargain!

Old 03-09-2012, 12:18 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Gotta pay for all those gubmint workers somehow. Permits are a cash cow up there - so much the better if you need one for work that was done in the year of the flood.
Yeah.. and I think a lot of the money went to tradesmen who had to come out and "bless" what was done (or recommend additional expensive work). My dad said he was going to work on getting a CO for his house (the one I grew up in) - hand built in 1945 or something, way out in the country. Better to do it before you have to sell!

Old 03-09-2012, 01:13 PM

4,279 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
That's crossed my mind but I don't think the sellers will go for it. Reduces the size by almost 1000sq/ft and they would have to reduce the selling price accordingly.
This reads as if it is the Seller's dilemma. They can either go through the permitting and inspection process so the square footage can be included in the sales price, or they sell the house as if the finished area did not exist.

The lack of knowing when the work was performed will increase the cost. I assume the new permits and inspections will require compliance to present day codes and will not allow "grandfathering " to the codes in place when the work was performed.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:45 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
This reads as if it is the Seller's dilemma. They can either go through the permitting and inspection process so the square footage can be included in the sales price, or they sell the house as if the finished area did not exist.

The lack of knowing when the work was performed will increase the cost. I assume the new permits and inspections will require compliance to present day codes and will not allow "grandfathering " to the codes in place when the work was performed.
Yes, exactly. It is what we decided as well. They have to take care of the issue or we walk.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:37 AM

248 posts, read 754,606 times
Permitting and inspection have a useful purpose of keeping people honest and to insure there is safe building done . What the cost equals is permit fees, delayed project's (at least a week) waiting for inspectors, labor waiting for inspectors, reinspection fees (some towns use them as a cash cow.) Therefore the real cost is several hundreds of dollars for no added benefit that is what deters people from getting permits. Any large project (added sq ft) you would not be wise to do without a permit.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:46 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,731 times
Personally, I would walk -- it is a buyer's market and the sellers need to jump through the appropriate hoops. I would not assume that onus of paying for the space that didn't have a permit. Too much h/a and hassle.

It is also my understanding that you need to make sure usable space is permitted sq footage or your insurance company won't pay to rebuild the sq. feet w/o a permit. So calling it 'storage' might be fine & well, but the stuff in it and the space is essentially uninsured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary