Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,301 times

Advertisements

I have actuallly worked in the Briar Creek and Olde Carpenter developments and I can honestly say, if you are spending nearly .5 mil. You will get much more for your money and better quality workmanship if you custom build your own project on your own land. While the houses appear very nice, there is a lot of sub-standard workmanship and repiar that goes into the construction of the "tract" type developers. But this is just my opinion. I have over 20 years in construction, from hands on to management and I have done both type of projects.
Further, put americans to work. A vast majority of these projects are constructed using cheap, inexperienced, foreign labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 03:22 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
I just walked over and went through the Parade homes and the other ones open. I am thoroughly unimpressed. These homes have nice styling to them - very nice brick. But inside, the homes have very poor use of space. They were extremely expensive for what you get. Wire cabinets in closets and pantry. No builts-ins or molding to speak of. Unbelievably (to me) is the lack of a screened porch. Just a stamped patio in the postage stamp back yard (right next to the neighbor). The front "porches" were not at all usable. Not even room for a rocking chair.

I'm actually shocked these are as bad as they seemed to me. These homes seem at least $200K too expensive for what you get. Probably more. My $380K home (2.5 years ago) 100-200 yds away in Carpenter Village has more usable space and is much nicer inside than the $599K model. My sq footage is smaller, but I have more usable space.

I thought I would like these, but didn't at all. If you are thinking about this immediate area, you'll do much, much better buying one of the resales in C-V.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:48 PM

997 posts, read 4,645,488 times
It all depends on personal preference, but that is one thing I notice about production builders. Most, not all, will make the model look like a million bucks and then what you actually get is four walls of sheetrock like Dire Wolf saw. You have to considerably upgrade to a price that is not even reasonable anymore to have the home look nice not to mention that the selections are limited so everyone's house ends up looking the same on the inside. The outside of the homes will end up being just a variation of a handful of home styles.

Some people are fine with this and others are not and prefer something more custom.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:27 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times
Like Dire Wolf, my spouse and I toured the Toll Brother Homes this afternoon, too, and I was disappointed -- not because of any one thing, but a lot of things. The model is well-appointed, but walking through the ones similar, and under construction, I noticed I didn't see a lot of the things that were in the actual one on The Parade.

If I have one impression of a lot of these newer homes in the $400K - $600K range, it's that a lot is 'for show,' but I question the actual quality. I may be picky, more so than many home buyers, but I would almost want an itemized account of what was in the house. Some trim treatments I saw made little sense -- certainly not done to the specifications of a master carpenter, and for $600K, I at least want the job done right.

The lots are entirely too small for the size home, and the layout of the house:yard:neighbor was a bit strange. One master bedroom was on a corner of the house, on a major thorough-o-fare, for all of the world of Olde Carpenter to see. I, for one, like to open my blinds from time to time. The yards could accommodate a stamped-concrete patio, surrounded by small patches of grass, and that was it. I don't think I saw a single lot as large as .25 of an acre, even. If these homes are intended for families with children, where are they expected to play? in the street? or on the elementary school's grounds?

Seems to me TB has "ripped their skivvies" on this one. My home on the other side of the street in Carpenter Village is a much better buy. For those of you interested in Carpenter Village, you would fare better purchasing one of the re-sales.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:39 PM

29 posts, read 109,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtriplett View Post
I have actuallly worked in the Briar Creek and Olde Carpenter developments and I can honestly say, if you are spending nearly .5 mil. You will get much more for your money and better quality workmanship if you custom build your own project on your own land. While the houses appear very nice, there is a lot of sub-standard workmanship and repiar that goes into the construction of the "tract" type developers. But this is just my opinion. I have over 20 years in construction, from hands on to management and I have done both type of projects.
My parents built in Brier Creek and love their home & neighborhood. However, my husband and I built our home with Lennar 5 years ago and feel we got a much better constructed house and better customer service than my parents. Their house was over $500K, ours was just under $200K. Our biggest frustration with TB when were considering building in Brier Creek ourselves was that they advertise the base price of the home, but once we added in the lot premium, structural options we needed, and a minimal amount of interior upgrades the price of the house increased by like $80K!! The standard interior options on the Brier Creek homes were "hidious" as described by one of their own sales agents. The standard tile floor, faucets and light fixtures were NOT AT ALL what I expect to find in a .5 million dollar or more house!! Not even close. We were insulted that we were expected to pay over $500 for a house and have those standard features. The standard faucets were the clear plastic knob type...you know, the ones that turn pink when water seaps into them over time.

Anyway, if you are considering Toll Bros, just be sure you review the standard features and price list before you sign the contract so you know what your bottom line will be...and supervise the home construction closely.

Last edited by PA Hokie; 10-06-2007 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: the quote wasn't separated from my statement

Old 10-10-2007, 05:59 PM

37 posts, read 161,731 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...tml#post340110
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary