Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 02:10 PM

98 posts, read 216,193 times

Advertisements

Ok, so we are originally from NC, are in the NE now, and would like to escape the rat race somewhat and move closer to family to raise our 3 kids. The oldest is in kindergarten this year in private school, and another reason for the move is that schools are terrible where we are and we cannot afford to send 3 kids to private school here. My job would be in NW Raleigh, husband probably in RTP or Duke.

I have been scouring this forum for public school information, and for an outsider it is completely overwhelming. We consider excellent schools to be extremely important to where we move. I am now considering moving to another NE city mainly due to the school issue. Am I silly for thinking this way? How in the world would we find and gain admission to a good school if we moved in July? Wake County parents I am feeling your pain. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 03:59 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
While the Chapel Hill to NW Raleigh commute is not the best, if you can afford it move to Chapel Hill and make sure you are zoned for Chapel Hill / Carrborro. Ch/C is not a county district like most. So it is easier to "buy yourself into a good school" since all the schools in Ch/C are good. It seems this model is the most common in the NE (buying yourself into a township with good schools) and thus CH/C would mimic that.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:31 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
It's going to be tough in the near future to move to Wake County. People thought it was bad before - that had nothing on this scenario! I agree if you can move into Chapel Hill do so, but moving here from the NE we considered that jumping from the frying pan into the fire, housing wise.

Good luck.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:16 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,217 times
Actually you might not be in a bad spot...if you move here this summer your oldest would be assigned a school, then i THINK your younger ones would be assigned the same school.

If you are working in North Raleigh I would focus on Leesville HS and the elementary schools that feed there. You really can't go wrong.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:35 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Might you be able to afford to send all three to a private in Raleigh? Lots of folks moving from the NE can afford it with the cost of living adjustment, but obviously everyone's individual situations are different. Chances are good that if you can afford to move to Chapel hill, you can probably find a decently priced private school for all of your kids in Wake.

IMO, yes, Wake County schools are in a true state of upheaval right now. We are smack dab in the middle of a very historic policy and assignment change and there are definitely some kinks to be worked out, but I still have faith that WCPSS are good schools, with good teachers and administrators. People are in freak out mode right now, but I am confident that things will settle down and get back to normal.

Last edited by lamishra; 03-27-2012 at 07:35 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 06:59 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
I would go farther than NC..Land in Cartersville Ga.
Excellent Schools, low cost of living and kids go to college
free because ga uses lottery $ to send students to college
with the Hope Scholarship.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:33 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
If I were you, I'd call Wake County Public Schools and voice your confusion and see what they suggest.

It is nice to have people's opinions but in this case, you need the facts. You need to know exactly what best case and worst case senarios are going to be.

Vicki

Old 03-27-2012, 07:51 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
I'm also an NC native, and one of the few things I like about the fact that we had to move away from NC is that we got a really good stable school system out of it. If I could move back to NC, I would not go for WCPSS right now. I'd go to North Durham (I have friends who had great experiences in the pubic schools there), or as a PP suggested, Chapel Hill/Carrboro.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:52 PM

182 posts, read 386,526 times
what? youse aren't pleased wit da way da guys from New Jersey fixed things like up home?

Old 03-27-2012, 08:22 PM

98 posts, read 216,193 times
Default Thanks

We will look into Chapel Hill, but I was hoping with the move south our commutes would improve as well. I have been unpleasantedly surprised by the financials of the move - same or lower salary, housing costs in the neighborhoods we like easily rival those of the northeast, and the private schools I've investigated so far are in the same tuition range as the DC area. I'll call the Wake County school board also (thanks), but I feel like my vision of returning to my southern childhood utopia (and finally coming to terms with the heat), are being crushed. Ah well, at least the air quality is a little better and we'd be closer to some nice beaches and camping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary