Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:28 AM

34 posts, read 84,776 times

Advertisements

You all seem to be in the know...

I'm a clinical psychologist at Duke having a heck of a time locating veterans who are in need of free PTSD treatment, and being a veteran myself and given the state of military, surprises the heck out of me!

Does anyone have ideas about where to find these guys and gals in need of help?

Any guidance is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 08:32 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
I'm not sure if this is the route you'd want to go but have you thought about contacting WRAL? They love to run stories about this sort of thing and maybe having a short story on the evening news would reach people who otherwise wouldn't be thinking about trying to find free services.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:19 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Most of the vets I know go to the VA in Durham. Perhaps you could make a connection there?

Old 03-29-2012, 10:26 AM

932 posts, read 3,097,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Most of the vets I know go to the VA in Durham. Perhaps you could make a connection there?
I was also going to suggest contacting the VA hospital. I'm sure they'd love some help!

Old 03-29-2012, 03:43 PM

286 posts, read 685,453 times
Ahhh, right up my alley. My dad and brother both suffer from PTSD. They do not live near enough to take advantage of your services but the VA is the way they went to get care. I highly recommend you contact the social work offices of the VA in Durham and give them your contact information. They have been a GREAT resource for my family and even helped with placement for my dad when he needed a permanent home that could provide dementia care. Also, you can ask the emergency departments of the local hospitals to put up your information with tear offs of your contact info. What you're offering is awesome.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:59 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,155 times
I guess I'm missing something here. The OP post sounds like a request for referrals. I would think most people who experience PTSD are military and have the VA to lean on. I would think/hope Duke medical is capable of making the necessary contacts if they NEED patients.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 PM

216 posts, read 539,279 times
Have you tried volunteering your time at Fort Bragg? Only one of the largest Army installations in the country.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:21 PM

Thank you everyone... and yes, we have been working with the VA in Durham--one of their psychologist supervises our therapists... the interesting thing is although there truly is great need for PTSD treatment, the disorder in itself makes people want to avoid getting treatment as it requires people to approach what their brain tells them to avoid--the trauma- so we've had our struggles getting these guys in--the same goes for the VA folks. Which is too bad as for most this is a treatable disorder.

Regarding our guys and gals in Fayetteville, they're welcomed to come here for treatment, but the drive deters most. Unfortunately, we don't have the resources to go set up shop down there.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I'm not sure if this is the route you'd want to go but have you thought about contacting WRAL? They love to run stories about this sort of thing and maybe having a short story on the evening news would reach people who otherwise wouldn't be thinking about trying to find free services.

Great idea--I'll follow up with this....

Old 04-02-2012, 02:43 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30flygirl View Post
Thank you everyone... and yes, we have been working with the VA in Durham--one of their psychologist supervises our therapists... the interesting thing is although there truly is great need for PTSD treatment, the disorder in itself makes people want to avoid getting treatment as it requires people to approach what their brain tells them to avoid--the trauma- so we've had our struggles getting these guys in--the same goes for the VA folks. Which is too bad as for most this is a treatable disorder.

Regarding our guys and gals in Fayetteville, they're welcomed to come here for treatment, but the drive deters most. Unfortunately, we don't have the resources to go set up shop down there.
Bold mine

You are spot on with this. I have a relative currently serving in Afghanistan who just came State Side for a two week R&R. We, the family, already can see the PTSD. It concerns us greatly as he has to go back and serve another 13 months. It's terrifying to see the change in him, he jumps at every single noise and I fear for him.

I want to thank you for your willingness and service you are providing our vets and I'm hopeful you will be able to reach those that need it.

Regards,

Second Right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary