Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 06:54 AM

403 posts, read 929,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Wasn't like that years ago.

Perhaps some swine are migrating here bringing their bad habits along.

Hope they get caught by a trooper and receive several days community service picking up trash.
Problem is that it's difficult to catch the offenders. WRAL did a Focal Point on the trash issue a couple of months ago, and they mentioned that. They also mentioned that NC doesn't have the money to run a "don't litter" campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 06:57 AM

180 posts, read 662,355 times
It is awful! I wish we could so something about it... NC is such a beautiful state that all this trash is unneccessary and ruins its beauty! We should all take care of the place we live, even if it means we have to do it w/out the help of state funding. (Not sure if that would ever be possibly but if be great if it was)

Old 09-14-2007, 07:02 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Local law enforcement can also cite litter offenses. Judges need to give community service instead of fines.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:34 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Wow, this is disappointing to hear! Even in MA, the litter problem is minimal. I wonder where it's all coming from? Transplants?

Old 09-14-2007, 07:38 AM

Seems so since the roads were pristine years ago.

Even car stripping is starting to appear on the Beltline. Sort of NYC in the making.

Hope it can be stopped.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:40 AM

403 posts, read 929,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
I seem to agree. It seems to be more noticeable along 40 than some other roads.
This is true. Just so I don't sound overly pessimistic. Wake County is far worse IMO than Orange, Durham, Chatham.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:02 AM

271 posts, read 1,213,152 times
I've been saying this for the last couple of years. I too have noticed all the litter and being that I grew up here (now 23) I know good and well that we used to never have litter. It is everywhere I have seen people at a stop light open there door and place neatly litter on the road. The light turned green and then they drove off.

Ive come up with a hypothesis and this is it: 1.) We have a lot Construction Workers here for all the new construction Many Many of whom don't know english nor the rules about littering. 2.) We also have a very high teenage and young adult population. And they typically care less about the enviornment than more mature individuals. 3rd Raleigh and NC was a lot cleaner before the great Northeastern States migration to the south and it appears that gritty Northeast mentality may have followed to our corner of the World. I'm not trying to call anyone or any group out. These are just facts and observations.

I do my part to keep the city and world clean. I recycle, pick up litter on earth days, reprimand people I see littering and report vehicles to the State DOT that I see littering. It is really sad especially when I've been to much bigger cities and the litter wasnt half as bad such as Denver, Atlanta, Phoenix. I just don't get it.

Does anyone care?

Last edited by carolinatrendsetter; 09-14-2007 at 08:24 AM..

Old 09-14-2007, 08:05 AM

I always pick up litter on my apt complex common areas.

Whether an owner or a renter, you should have pride in the place where you live.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:13 AM

39 posts, read 170,067 times
Just an FYI:

If you see littering in progress, someone illegally dumping trash, or trash blowing
out of an uncovered truck, call the Wake County Litter Line at 856-5700.

WakeGOV.com - Litter Line

Old 09-14-2007, 08:45 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,360 times
I have noticed the litter too. I can't believe what a mess it is along the highways. Time to get the crews out to pick it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary