Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 11:30 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,703 times

Advertisements

Recent transplant from AZ.and I'm shocked at the amount of litter on the side of the streets,especially capital.I live off purnell in WF so I travel capital from 540 to purnell often.It really is very sad that some people can throw fast food bags,coffe cups and other things out their window.I also see much constuction debris perhaps from contractors that don't cover there pick up trucks.Outside of tougher laws for these dispicable people is there any clean up crews that routinely clean the streets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 11:43 AM

579 posts, read 2,863,681 times
Am I the only one who does notice the litter at all? I hear this complaint frequently but I just don't see it. I live in FV but I venture to Cary, Apex, Garner and much of Raleigh a lot. Is it because I'm from NY that everything looks so clean and litter free to me? lol

Old 12-26-2007, 11:53 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
Recent transplant from AZ.and I'm shocked at the amount of litter on the side of the streets,especially capital.I live off purnell in WF so I travel capital from 540 to purnell often.It really is very sad that some people can throw fast food bags,coffe cups and other things out their window.I also see much constuction debris perhaps from contractors that don't cover there pick up trucks.Outside of tougher laws for these dispicable people is there any clean up crews that routinely clean the streets?
The litter crew is called inmates or if someone adopts a highway. Did you notice the further north you go up on Capital away from the " shops etc." in Wake Forest the litter does lighten up some what?
And in the medians once the tall grass is cut, all the litter starts to show more. So grass cutting day can be a little scarey .
Can't have fast food restaurants without litter . And yeah the trucks drop stuff all the time.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:59 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
The litter crew is called inmates or if someone adopts a highway. Did you notice the further north you go up on Capital away from the " shops etc." in Wake Forest the litter does lighten up some what?
And in the medians once the tall grass is cut, all the litter starts to show more. So grass cutting day can be a little scarey .
Can't have fast food restaurants without litter . And yeah the trucks drop stuff all the time.
Haven't ventured up north of Purnell much,but it does make sense.It just freaks me out that someone can throw garbage out the window.There is acually a man that routinely picks up litter on jackson off or purnell,I'm thinking of joining him.If you are reading this.THANK YOU.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:12 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
I too was shocked when I realized (as an adult) that people actually throw trash out the window! I know it sounds naive, but I was taught what a terrible thing that was, and at the school I went to (carolina friends school) we would have a day a year where the students cleaned trash on all of the roads surrounding the school. We have now adopted the roads surrounding the school in the name of my dad, so we clean them regularly..........but, people do throw their trash out. Do they not realize where it ends up, or do they just not care? Anyhow, the inmates do clean the roadside up (especially the highways) but other than that, you can receive fines you throw trash out, yet someone would have to catch you.

About a month ago I called the city of raleigh recycling when I was behind one of their recycling trucks that was dropping debris all over the place. They radioed the truck while I was on the phone with them and he pulled over and fixed his "load" but still, the driver really could not have missed all of the trash flying out of the back of his truck!

Leigh

Old 12-26-2007, 12:47 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
I was actually shocked when I moved to New England from the PNW, that there WASN'T litter all over the roadways. I figured being environmentally aware, considerate of the environment, etc., was strictly a west coast thing and really a PNW thing in particular. But most every road, interstate highway or city street--is relatively litter free.

I was very disappointed when we lived in VA to find this not the case. It was ok in Fairfax County but Richmond and points south were terrible. I did notice a lot of trash in Raleigh too, during my short stay there. I was hoping it was an abberation.

So much for the myth that people in the Northeast are pigs!

Old 12-26-2007, 03:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
It is winter and it tends to decrease the amount of "workers" or "inmates" able to clean up the litter due to cold conditions. If you search these threads there seems to always be a higher amount of complaint threads during this time than over the summer.
Best way to handle ltter is start up an adopt highway program or join forces in creating litter prevention.
If you notice someone littering use something as simple as your camera phone and photograph the culprit and send it to the authorities.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:34 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,385,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
It is winter and it tends to decrease the amount of "workers" or "inmates" able to clean up the litter due to cold conditions. If you search these threads there seems to always be a higher amount of complaint threads during this time than over the summer.
That is surprising. It is so mild down here compared to up north. I know that if I had a choice between picking up litter now or in the middle of the summer I would much prefer to do it now. You can always add a layer or two but it's hard to stay cool when the temperatures are in the 100's.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:59 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,235 times
it is really bad here. I've been involved with "clean ups" at Falls Lake.
The problem is people think it's the "inmates" responsibiity to be keeping the trash picked up versus you and me. For a while I was getting out with my little trash-picker-upper and taking action myself hoping that someone would be inspired to do the same or stop littering. Part of the problem are the recycling laws..not enough incentive..they need a bottle refund law. It's so sad to see this beautiful place littered. People just don't care.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:55 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
In NYC, there was a practice called "air mail".

The residents would simply throw their trash out the apt windows. Then they complained about rats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary