Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:23 AM

403 posts, read 930,215 times

Advertisements

Good news regarding roadside litter. A new program has inmates back out on highways in larger groups covering larger swaths of territory after the tragic death of an inmate earlier this year. They'll be focusing on commuter corridors such as I-40, 440, 540, etc. If you see these folks out on the highway, please slow down or get over!

Inmates Return to Roadside Litter Duty :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 07:38 AM

116 posts, read 471,987 times
There were 2 city employees picking up litter along glen laurel this morning. They both had HUGE bags...they have theior work cut out for them!

Old 03-01-2008, 07:46 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
Its funny that the solution to this problem was to put inmates back on the side of the road. Shouldn't the solution be for people to learn not to throw crud out the window? Stop messing up my home!

Old 03-02-2008, 02:17 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
I grew up in New England and it was rare to see any litter on the side of the road. The first time I was shocked by trash is when I took a vacation in Alabama near the Florida border. I've lived in FL for many years and, where I live, there is very little trash on the roads, except for the disgusting cigarette butts people toss our of their cars. When I lived on Sanibel Island there was never any litter on the roadside or even in parking lots.

I've read the same complaint on the SC boards. I've been on 3 of them and the members say lots of people toss bags of garbage out of their cars. One person in Charleston said littering seems to be a state pastime.

[URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/charleston-area/239303-what-were-your-biggest-surprises-after-2.html[/URL]

Could this be a regional problem? I just can't imagine tossing garbage out of a car window.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:18 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,522 times
bottomline ..it's a sign of people being disrespectful.
The worst area is out by Blue Jay Park around Falls Lake. I do a lot of cycling out that way and I'm appaulled at the amount of litter. Blue Jay Park has routine sweeps around Falls Lake. I'll definitely check out the Spring Clean Swee - too bad we're not hearing more about it on the news.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:53 AM

446 posts, read 1,394,578 times
I don't think the jerks who litter are reading these pages. Just the other morning I saw mommies little princess in her 5-Series throw a fast food bag right out the window...I got on her tail and stood on the horn like a mad man but she didn't notice me because she seemed more concerned with the radio.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:18 PM

15 posts, read 27,430 times
Default Raleigh Litter Problem

Raleigh (the triangle area) has a HUGE litter problem. The freeways and highways, even suburbs have litter along side the roads. I have lived in 4 of the biggest cities in the US and the litter is not half as bad in those cities. Online there is an article that mentions that over 9,000 calls were made in 2009 in Raleigh that residents reported witnessing littering going on. Wow, that is high! Can you image how many littering incidents went unreported? If you contact ODOT they don't do anything they just report it. Then what happens? Noone knows. The government is aware that there is a problem but no one is doing anything they just pass on your email/complaint to ODOT. You hear about the money being spent to take care of the problem but you don't see if being cleaned up. The city won't allow for litter fine signs and they complain that they don't have enough support to get the prisoners or those serving communtiy service out to pick it up (and it is to dangerous). How often have you seen road cleanup around the triangle area? There should be a crew out everyday.

It doesn't seem like there is much pride left in the capital city and the government is giving up on cleaning it up. It just keeps getting worse. It now is left to the citizens of Raleigh/Durham to decide what they want to do about this problem. Everyone needs to speak up and take action! If you don't the litter issue isn't going to improve and eventually the city is going to become not only junky but a health issue. Is this how you want to raise your kids or want to live? One person can make a difference and maybe that is you. Raleigh has the potential to be beautiful and a great place to live.

It's kind of funny how some people are willing and work hard to help local and national chairties with their causes but won't help the city they live in become a cleaner and healthier place?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:32 AM

346 posts, read 613,188 times
Wheres all the locals to say they're insulted that we newcomers dare to compare where we came from to living here? And thats why we paid more in taxes elsewhere...well nonsense ofc...What it comes down to are people who are uneducated...lower socio economic classes and people who plain dont give a Moderator cut: language I live outide of Raleigh and the country roads around here are despicable. Everything from couches,tvs' refrigerators oil cans,tires,bags of garbage,plastic and glass bottles,and fast food garbage as well. On Hwy 264 between Wendell and Zebulon there has been this garbage in the median just sitting there for months. It looks like stuffing from the insides of furniture. Along the entarance and exits to 264 its even worse. I dont know what the solution is...but we really need some real enforcement and real penalties for this despicable behavior.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-23-2010 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: There are language filters in place for a reason. Please don't try to circumvent them.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:48 PM

149 posts, read 431,662 times
Please know that you can report NC drivers who litter through the Swat A Litterbug program. An excellent outlet for righteous anger about a deplorable act.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:10 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,646 times
old post, but as a recent transplant, the roadside trash in the Raleigh area is horrible, just horrible, and I am not talking backroads, but the major freeways. I dodge a bumper or couch or two on about every other trip on the beltline - trash flying through the air - it's embarassing - where are the prison work crews picking up this crap?
Hey, I am from WV and on the backroads, over the hillside, you'll find washers, fridges, couches etc, but the main 4 lane and interstate highways in WV are not trashy like it is here - drive through Charleston on 77/64 - same in Virginia - very little trash - compare that to 40 or the beltline - Raleigh should be ashamed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary