Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 01:56 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,083,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazother1 View Post
I google this and found a thread in 2007 about this same topic. I only use PSNC for our gas burners on our stovetop. Everything else in our newly purchased townhome is electric. I just received my 1st bill and it's $15.65 where we only used $5.65 of gas. The remaining $10 is a "Basic Facility Charge." I emailed them about this and received this:
The Basic Facility Charge (BFC) is a fixed monthly charge that covers the basic cost of bringing gas service to your location. The BFC is approved by the North Carolina Utilities Commission and some examples of costs covered by the BFC include, but are not limited to: Equipment (meter, service lines, etc), Meter Reading, & Billing
I think it's outrageous that 75% of my bill is for administrative fees. Has anybody had any luck contesting this and taking it off?
Easy solution - if you're not happy with PSNC, then cancel. The BFC will go away. Nobody is forcing you to use them and since they are a regulated utility their rates are published. So, with a wee bit of due diligence, you would have known all this up front. Would it have been enough to sway your purchase? - that's your call.
It's not at all unusual for a regulated utility provider to have a basic fee. As noted earlier they have costs to service you whether you buy gas or not. You'll note the electric power providers typically have similar fees.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 07:08 PM

48 posts, read 79,409 times
Please do not abuse corporate masters. They know what they are doing and its all done for your own good. They decided to build a Nuclear Power Station and you generic folks will be paying for it in ever-increasing fees for the rest of your lives. This is how wild capitalism works.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:39 PM

206 posts, read 310,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_widget View Post
This is my first home with gas anything (stove, fireplace, heat). I thought it was a bit much when my first bills last summer were $10.50 - $15.00 and I saw the $10 fee...

Now that I've paid some winter bills too and can better gage my average, I'm okay with it for all the reasons previous posters have mentioned. Plus, I'm a bit of a wimp in the cold so I kept my heat probably higher than others, plus frequently had my fireplace on and the bill never got close to $100. I think the highest was high $80s. I paid a lot more for my last house with electric heat.

Me too! I have all electric, and I keep my heat on 74 and sometimes 75. I can sit and relax in summer shoes and I do lol. I'm curious what you and others keep your heat set at?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighnative2 View Post
Me too! I have all electric, and I keep my heat on 74 and sometimes 75. I can sit and relax in summer shoes and I do lol. I'm curious what you and others keep your heat set at?
I keep my central heat set at 62F usually and 60F during the colder nights, dress slightly warmly and heat only the room (with el. radiator) where I'm staying (to around 70F). Just paid $140 (electric heat for a 2500 sq. ft. house). During summer I keep a/c at 77F and receive a similar bill just under $200. Need to better insulate this house although the windows are new.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlySkies View Post
I keep my central heat set at 62F usually and 60F during the colder nights, dress slightly warmly and heat only the room (with el. radiator) where I'm staying (to around 70F). Just paid $140 (electric heat for a 2500 sq. ft. house). During summer I keep a/c at 77F and receive a similar bill just under $200. Need to better insulate this house although the windows are new.
Oh wow, I would freeze in your house lol My electric bill is over $300 a month in the winter but I must stay warm, I never let it get below 73, all central heat, 73 in the summer for a/c. But other things push my bill up. Computer, gaming systems, 2 tv's, humidifier, etc. If I happen to be home alone I will kick up the heat to 74 or 75 but when everyone gets home they complain its too hot, crazy me lol

Old 12-14-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighnative2 View Post
Oh wow, I would freeze in your house lol My electric bill is over $300 a month in the winter but I must stay warm, I never let it get below 73, all central heat, 73 in the summer for a/c. But other things push my bill up. Computer, gaming systems, 2 tv's, humidifier, etc. If I happen to be home alone I will kick up the heat to 74 or 75 but when everyone gets home they complain its too hot, crazy me lol
Good that you can afford the high bill. I have a budget. Where I grew up we kept 55F in the house and dressed warm, but when we went to my grandparents house in the country we slept in freezing temperatures in the attic at 20sF, well covered up and dressed warm. Thus I can handle temps between 62F and 77F very well. When you sit in temps below 70F your feet start to chill and that's not good. I used to wear wool socks, sweaters and winter shoes and coats in the house before I decided to heat one room up. This is why one room is heated to 70F+ but if you got a small house, and spend a lot of time in the large central living room, then it makes sense to just heat the entire house to 73F+. $300 is not that bad, but if I heated my house to 73-75F I would be paying $600 or more. My neighbors are paying $800 and complaining, but their outside lights are always on.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:30 AM

$800 for electric? I would flip! I know what you mean about cold houses as a kid. We had to wear warm clothes to stay warm too. Just radiators back then and they were ok, not great and not in every room. When I was a teen I had to a tiny kersosine heater in my bedroom to stay warm. I remember when my mom hang clothes on the line to dry and I could stand my pants up to thaw lol, crazy days, we even had a ringer washer (this was late 60's).

Old 12-14-2013, 10:45 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,829,825 times
The most I've paid PSNC for my townhouse was $106 1/2013, and $97 in 1/2012. I would hardly call the $10 fee outrageous. During the summers I average about $18 including the fee. I keep the temp around 65 when I'm not in the house during the winter and between 68-72 depending on the time of day when I'm home. I have gas heat, stove, water heater, but not dryer.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
The most I've paid PSNC for my townhouse was $106 1/2013, and $97 in 1/2012. I would hardly call the $10 fee outrageous. During the summers I average about $18 including the fee. I keep the temp around 65 when I'm not in the house during the winter and between 68-72 depending on the time of day when I'm home. I have gas heat, stove, water heater, but not dryer.

I'm glad I don't have that fee since I'm all electric, but I think any fee that's more then the actual bill is outrageous. And if nothing is owed during a given month there should be no fee at all. People are being legally robbed but not many complain because it's only $10. Its the point not how low the fee is. Plus $10 times XXXX users gives the fat cats a tidy bonus.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:13 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,295,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlySkies View Post
Good that you can afford the high bill. I have a budget. Where I grew up we kept 55F in the house and dressed warm, but when we went to my grandparents house in the country we slept in freezing temperatures in the attic at 20sF, well covered up and dressed warm. Thus I can handle temps between 62F and 77F very well. When you sit in temps below 70F your feet start to chill and that's not good. I used to wear wool socks, sweaters and winter shoes and coats in the house before I decided to heat one room up. This is why one room is heated to 70F+ but if you got a small house, and spend a lot of time in the large central living room, then it makes sense to just heat the entire house to 73F+. $300 is not that bad, but if I heated my house to 73-75F I would be paying $600 or more. My neighbors are paying $800 and complaining, but their outside lights are always on.
We spend about 350 a month on heat and we keep the place between 67-70 during waking hours, and around 65 at night.

If we kept ours up to 73-75, we'd be spending double that, I bet.

I'd rather live in a studio apartment with all 5 of my family members and 3 cats that be sitting in a 55 degree house in winter, though. Oy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary