Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 03:39 PM

168 posts, read 1,212,680 times

Advertisements

Not to be antagonistic, but....I'm vegetarian and what decent restaurant DOESN'T have vegetarian food? Unless you're heading to a steak house, you can get vegetarian pretty much anywhere. And I don't mean just salads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 07:36 PM

460 posts, read 1,771,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryfield View Post
Not to be antagonistic, but....I'm vegetarian and what decent restaurant DOESN'T have vegetarian food? Unless you're heading to a steak house, you can get vegetarian pretty much anywhere. And I don't mean just salads.
I think most of us know what it means, but there's a difference (to me) between vegetarian cuisine, and 'non meat dishes'.

Plus, for some people a 'non meat' dish still doesn't mean it's vegetarian or vegan.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:35 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,155,247 times
Look here: Welcome to the Triangle Vegetarian Society

Old 10-29-2007, 09:20 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,967,042 times
Quote:
As far as the top end restaurants go (I'm thinking Mag Grill/Elaines/Four Square caliber), they typcially only offer a single vegetarian appetizer and entree, and if it doesn't float your boat your out of luck. So, I'd say anyplace with a bigger selection is a find.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:38 AM

285 posts, read 1,040,670 times
Quote:
There's a huge difference to me between "making do" at a non-vegetarian restaurant that throws a carrot or two out to vegetarians, and dining at a restaurant where the chef actually understands how vegetarians eat and knows how to make vegetarian food appealing with a full menu of vegetarian choices. I am not a strict vegetarian now, but was one for many years, and I'd much rather dine on a spinach wrap with marinated tempeh than to just grab a dish made for non-vegetarians missing the meat or white pasta spaghetti with bland marinara sauce.

That said, I used to do well at most Italian, Indian, Middle Eastern, Chinese, Thai and Mexican restaurants, though you always have to ask about the refried beans.... In general, most ethnic restaurants have more vegetarian options than "American" restaurants do.

I am surprised that, given the demographics of the Triangle area, we don't have a few more full-fledged vegetarian, health food type cafes. I'm thinking of places such as the much missed Grace Place Restaurant in Richmond, VA, the Horn of the Moon Cafe in Montpelier, VT, Moosewood Restaurant in Ithica, NY, or even the Laughing Seed Cafe in Asheville, NC. We seem to have two extremes- either cafeteria style, such as Weaver St. and Whole Foods- or upper end, like Sage. We have the crunchy folk here- where are the restaurants?

Old 10-30-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaClaire View Post
We have the crunchy folk here- where are the restaurants?
I don't get it, either.

I've also been looking for eco-friendly furniture (and mattresses)...ugh. What a total PAIN - it's virtually non-existant here.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:22 AM

168 posts, read 1,212,680 times
I know what you're saying...I've lived places where there are fabulous vegetarian restaurants (NYC, Ithaca, NY, other places as well...) but I have just never found it a problem to eat well in this area as a vegetarian. I don't particularly like Magnolia Grill, Elaine's etc anyway. I've eaten there, but I prefer more humble spots, so maybe that's why I've had good luck. I can see taht if you're looking for a vegetarian Magnolia Grill there isn't one (at least that I know of)....I just didn't think that was what was being requested since places like Moosewood in Ithaca were mentioned and certainly that is a wonderful, homey spot and nothing like Elaine's or Magnolia Grill or any of those at all. Anyway...hope you find what you're looking for~

Old 10-30-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
...I have just never found it a problem to eat well in this area as a vegetarian. I don't particularly like Magnolia Grill, Elaine's etc anyway. I've eaten there, but I prefer more humble spots, so maybe that's why I've had good luck.
I don't find it a 'problem', per se, but I do feel that there is a lack of options (ranging from the 'humble' to the 'gourmet').

I'm used to having a lot of options within a few miles of where I live.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:35 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,155,247 times
I grew up in this area and moved away for about 12 years, then came back. When I came back I found most of the mid-range vegetarian options that used to exist seem to be gone. The Irregardless in Raleigh used to be exclusively vegetarian but now only has a few vegetarian entrees, AnotherThyme used to have an exclusively vegetarian sibling called SomeThyme, and as I recall Sisters Garden of Eating in North Raleigh used to be fairly heavily vegetarian (now I think they just do catering and events). I don't know if it is considered an idea that has been tried and failed in this area, or if it is just that the trend now is more towards locally grown food sourcing.

This thread has a few more restaurant ideas: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...endations.html

Old 12-15-2007, 11:48 PM
YLY

1 posts, read 2,605 times
Default Vegetarian Options in Durham

Hi, I was just updating HappyCow.com's Durham listings, go to HappyCow, do a search for Durham, NC but set the miles away as 15, that way you'll get chapel hill, morrisville etc.

Yes to everything listed so far plus more:
DURHAM
Whole Foods - hot bar, deli and cafe
Will make sandwiches to order (we like vegan chicken salad; mozzarella basil tomato - i know snoresville, but they make it decent)

Xiloa - Nicaraguan on 9th Street (casual)
Not 100% veg, but will make anything on their menu veg or vegan! Nacatamales are yummy! Fresh juices made daily.

Baba Ghannouj - Middle Eastern on Main St. (casual, 1 block from 9th st.)
Best falafel anywhere, ever.

Cosmic Cantina - open till 4 am (very casual)
Cheap and consistently good, plus they serve beer.

NOSH - Erwin Rd. near Duke Hospital and VA Hospital (family/casual)
Not 100% veg (this is the South), but always has nice salad, pizza, wrap options. Great soup daily, always vegetarian and yummy. Real fruit smoothies. Breakfast is yummy too, but probably not for vegans.

Thai Cafe - family friendly with tablecloths (University Ave.)
Great thai food, many veg options. Vegetable Green Curry is delicious. Surprising good desserts, coconut cake or creme brulee (not vegan but heavenly).

Piedmont - Foster St. (upscale, near downtown)
Great local food menu (not vegetarian), supporting local farms. Always has a great salad, soup and entree (usually pasta) that are veg and delicious. High quality, great wine list, great service. Sunday brunch too.

Watts Grocery - Broad St. (upscale, near W. Club Blvd)
Also supports locally produced food and farms. Food is not as consistent at Piedmont. Fried Green Tomatoes are amazing and served optional vegetarian roumelade.

CHAPEL HILL
Whole Foods Cafe - much larger than Durham's Whole Foods, much more selection at the hot bar/salad bar. More produce, more of everything.

Trader Joe's
Just opened Nov. 2007. 1 block up street from Whole Foods on Franklin St. No hot bar, or cafe, but lots of pre-made items, frozen and convinience foods.

Weaver St. Market - Carrboro on Weaver St.
The local food coop, great but limited hot bar and salad bar. Bakery with wonderful pies, breads and baked goods. Friendly service, live music, community gathering place.

Carrburitos - Rosemary St.
California style fresh burritos and tacos.

Sandwhich - lunch only next to 3 Cups, off of Franklin St.
Go here for the most amazing, delectable sandwiches! Expensive but worth every penny. They use all local ingredients, organic when they can get it and you can taste it in the food. Owner Hich is there everyday, so quality is high. Specials such as gaspacho, lentil soup, chocolate chip cookies are beyond good as are the home-made, fresh, WARM potato chips. Fresh morrocan mint tea.

Amante Pizza - Main St.
Local chain does a decent job of making thin crust, delicious pies. No slices.

CARY
Cool Breeze - 100% VEGETARIAN
Indian food with a twist. They serve Chaat which until recently could only be found as street food in India, but has of late become the darling of whats new in dining trends - international street food comes to a restaraunt near you. Their tables were always full so lucky they just expanded to twice the size. "Try the dahi batata puri, these hollow, whisper-thin crisps of wheat flour, with a hole punched in the top and filled with sweet and spicy chutneys, potato shavings, onion, yogurt and topped with sev." see review in the INDY http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Con...id=oid%3A44747
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary