Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:52 PM

54 posts, read 207,528 times

Advertisements

Hey there...My wife and I are coming down to the Raleigh-Durham area Columbus Day Weekend. We've got limited time and want to get a feel for the area to help decide if we might move. We're currently in Connecticut, beautiful, but stuffy brainiacs- too much on the cerebral side. We've got 2 little ones, so needless to say good schools are important. Can you give us a starting place in how we can get the FEEL on NC in that area. Also, what's with all the houses in certain areas looking like they are fake figurines, exactly the same...Thanks.

Bryon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 08:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Good Luck in your search of your Carolina Dream Home.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:23 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,494,196 times
I'm pretty sure the first questions you'll receive in response to your question will be "how much money do you want to spend?" and "where will you be working?".

Different areas of the Triangle meet different needs. For instance, I've heard that Carrboro is a great place to live if you like someplace that has an "artsy" vibe. Many people might tell you that Cary is "mecca" for families with young children like you. There have been many discussions about the pros and cons of Durham on this forum. Places like Apex, Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina, and Knightdale are a bit further out, but are growing and you may get more for your $ in these areas, particularly if you like newer construction. North Raleigh is a bit more "established" and you will find some older neighborhoods in this area, many with great amenities and location. Wake Forest has also been recommended by many, though you may have to deal with some traffic, particularly if your commute takes you up or down Capital Boulevard. And of course, there's ITB (Inside the Beltline - or I-440) Raleigh, which has many wonderful neighborhoods, like Oakwood or Glenwood/Brooklyn, but you will pay a premium to live there.

I don't claim to be an expert and I have not lived here for long, and I admit these descriptions are very general. But perhaps it will help you get acquainted with the Triangle and which area will work best for your family. My best advice is to search this forum for specific information, and post any questions you have. Folks here are typically ready, willing, and able to help.

Good luck!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:31 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Wake County does have a school reassignment and overcrowding issue.

Chapel Hill/Carrboro isn't affected.

Since you're in CT, your budget should work for those cities.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:33 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,601,820 times
Lightbulb Parade of Homes

Hey Byron,

Might want to check out the Parade of Homes during that weekend. Just a thought.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ade-homes.html

Old 09-20-2007, 05:03 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,769,505 times
Columbus Day? What is that?

Seriously though, not much of a Holiday down here.

Just get in your rental and drive around. The area is big, but not that big. Fairly easy to get around on the weekends. Great time of the year to come and the weather is usually exceptional then. Lots of variety in this area. Beautiful older homes close to the Downtowns. New condos in trendy areas near nightlife. Lots and lots of neighborhoods at all kinds of price points (the ones that have houses that all look alike usually were done that way to keep cost low, not always a bad thing).

Lots and lots of neat parks, gardens, and museums, too. Take some time out of your day to check them out, too.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:55 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,142 times
Check out the Wake County Public Schools website.

There are links for all of the schools, at any level, and you can look at what the State calls the schools' 'report cards.' It will list all sorts of info -- number of students, whether the building is at capacity or over-crowded, times for the school day, traditional or year 'round, and how students have performed on EOC testing at academic year's conclusion. It would let you make a list of schools that appeal to you, and then you could scout around the neighborhoods.

Lots of new construction in N. Raleigh (towards Wake Forest) and SW Wake County (towards Morrisville, Apex) with new neighborhoods, new schools, and families.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:27 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,083 times
I hear you on the holiday thing. We got married on the West Coast over that weekend. Never an issue with going away on our anniversary. We move here (MA) 10 years ago and all of a sudden, I have to plan our anniversary trips a year or more in advance! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Columbus Day? What is that?

Seriously though, not much of a Holiday down here.

Just get in your rental and drive around. The area is big, but not that big. Fairly easy to get around on the weekends. Great time of the year to come and the weather is usually exceptional then. Lots of variety in this area. Beautiful older homes close to the Downtowns. New condos in trendy areas near nightlife. Lots and lots of neighborhoods at all kinds of price points (the ones that have houses that all look alike usually were done that way to keep cost low, not always a bad thing).

Lots and lots of neat parks, gardens, and museums, too. Take some time out of your day to check them out, too.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:33 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,601,820 times
Lightbulb US Columbus Day is October 8th 2007

Yeah, I actually had to look it up on a calendar... Pretty sad I guess.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:43 AM

7 posts, read 31,902 times
Default we did that same last month....

over labor day weekend, ended up with a new job at UNC - Chapel Hill, a new home in North Durham, and a very short timeline to sell the place here in upstate NY and get the family used to the change. Our kids are grown, so schools were not an issue, but that will probably your #1. Lot of deeply discounted new construction, since all the national builders are posting heavy losses this year. Definitely a buyers market with more homes and communities that we could possibly look at in 5-6 hectic days of looking. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary