Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 09:39 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,062,032 times

Advertisements

What Lamishra says is true. Remember that there are ways to avoid the vehicle tax if you're determined to; just use public transportation or ride a bike (in other words, get rid of the car). You won't have to pay car insurance that way, too! Just think of how much money you pour into car insurance every year. I bet it's a whole lot more than what you pay in vehicle tax ... and yet you often get far more benefit from taxes than what you get from your car insurance company.

Just a little food for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 09:44 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,672,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moni007 View Post
i am with you b/c I feel that you should not be required to pay any other tax, but your vehicle tax. You are renting not owning.
That is all the person is paying!! Dear me...I really don't get the idea that someone who rents is absolved of all socialital responsibility.

If you don't want your vehicle tax money being spent in the community...don't own a car.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:46 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,968,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
That is all the person is paying!! Dear me...I really don't get the idea that someone who rents is absolved of all socialital responsibility.
Yeah but you're not - you pay it in rent! (and in the car property tax) (and in the state income tax)

I'm not gonna lie, I don't like it one bit that I have to pay property tax on a car I bought in New York City...but I drive, so what am I gonna do, gotta pay up. That doesn't mean I don't get to gripe (apparently this forum doesn't let you say female dog) about it though

Old 09-22-2007, 10:48 AM

65 posts, read 267,236 times
i do not think that the poster has a problem with paying vehicle taxes. The problem lies with the other taxes that is required of her to pay, as they specifically stated. I own here, but I am used to renting. No we will not understand anything about a personal property tax when you do not own this land that you are living on. This should be a requirement of the owner not the leasee. So many people on this forum have so much to say, but know one is actually reading the actual post. Give me a break and get a grip!!!!!! Also, just b/c we are unaware of something or don't know how things are done here just help us to have a better understanding. We wiould appreciate that much better.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:01 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,116,132 times
Quote:
i do not think that the poster has a problem with paying vehicle taxes. The problem lies with the other taxes that is required of her to pay, as they specifically stated. I own here, but I am used to renting. No we will not understand anything about a personal property tax when you do not own this land that you are living on. This should be a requirement of the owner not the leasee. So many people on this forum have so much to say, but know one is actually reading the actual post. Give me a break and get a grip!!!!!! Also, just b/c we are unaware of something or don't know how things are done here just help us to have a better understanding. We wiould appreciate that much better.

There IS no other tax! There is no separate school tax!
Here is the breakdown of how your personal property tax is broken down (car tax ONLY if you are not a homeowner).
WakeGOV.com - Where Your Money Goes

As you can see, they take your car tax and break it up to support various county services. They are not separate taxes, it is one tax on your car.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:40 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,682,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moni007
No we will not understand anything about a personal property tax when you do not own this land that you are living on. This should be a requirement of the owner not the leasee. So many people on this forum have so much to say, but know one is actually reading the actual post. Give me a break and get a grip!!!!!!
You don't pay personal property tax on land. You pay personal property tax on personal property (cars, boats, airplanes, motor homes)

You do pay real estate property tax on real estate (land, buildings, structures, and permanent fixtures).

Old 09-22-2007, 01:17 PM

299 posts, read 635,512 times
You can count me as one of the soon to be NC residents who has absolutely NO problem with a vehicle tax that will hopefully support the expanding need for new roads, schools, etc. that are brought on by new residents to the area. I'm leaving an area in SE PA that I grew up in simply because I don't want to pay an ever growing,( taxes are $11k on a $400k home) yearly tax bill. We're expecting an increase of "only" 5% this year with no changes in services provided. Our town is still a beautiful small town but at this rate, no one will be able to afford to stay especially once they've retired. On an upside, our new home in Holly Springs will have taxes in the $1200 range, WOW!! What a savings and we're all looking forward to the move

Old 09-22-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
You don't pay tax on land you don't own!! The PERSONAL PROPERTY is your car, and you do own that, do you not?

This has been stated repeatedly. There is not other tax that renters are subject to for not owning property.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
There IS no other tax! There is no separate school tax!
Here is the breakdown of how your personal property tax is broken down (car tax ONLY if you are not a homeowner).
WakeGOV.com - Where Your Money Goes

As you can see, they take your car tax and break it up to support various county services. They are not separate taxes, it is one tax on your car.
I don't seee how much clearer you can be on this. You've done a great job of putting forth the information and good links to explain it.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:03 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,151,154 times
You probably don't pay any more for vehicle tax in NC than you would pay in a year to travel toll roads "Up North".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary