Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 05:25 PM

104 posts, read 403,172 times

Advertisements

I got a bill in the mail yesterday that I have to pay school tax, city tax, and vehicle tax. I called Raleigh's contact and explained that I am not a homeowner and I was told that both renters and homeowners pay taxes. I never heard of renters having to pay taxes. Ugh, NC really does tax you out of the a$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 05:42 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
Um...yeah, why should homeowners have to pay for everything? Don't renters use the same services as homeowners?

Old 09-20-2007, 05:42 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,104 times
What is school tax? Is it a county tax?

I don't see why as a renter you wouldn't have to pay a vehicle tax. You drive, don't you?

Old 09-20-2007, 05:47 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeMaui View Post
I got a bill in the mail yesterday that I have to pay school tax, city tax, and vehicle tax. I called Raleigh's contact and explained that I am not a homeowner and I was told that both renters and homeowners pay taxes. I never heard of renters having to pay taxes. Ugh, NC really does tax you out of the a$$
I know it is confusing, but you are only paying the personal property tax on your vehicle. Anybody who owns a car pays that tax doesn't matter if you rent, own, or live with your parents. Some of the money goes to the City, some to the county, and some to public schools. They break it out on the bill to show you were your vehicle property tax is going. But it isn't like you are getting taxed for your apartment like a homeowner gets taxed for the value of their house and land. You are only getting taxed for the value of your car. That's it.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
What is school tax? Is it a county tax?

I don't see why as a renter you wouldn't have to pay a vehicle tax. You drive, don't you?
I'm sorry I forgot to put this is my first post - vehicle tax, yes I understand that. But I don't own property and never heard of renters paying taxes. Never had to up north.

According to my statment it is broken down like this:

Wake County (public school operating)
Distribution (school building program)
(county services)

Municipality: Raleigh

Old 09-20-2007, 05:51 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,695,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I know it is confusing, but you are only paying the personal property tax on your vehicle. Anybody who owns a car pays that tax doesn't matter if you rent, own, or live with your parents. Some of the money goes to the City, some to the county, and some to public schools. They break it out on the bill to show you were your vehicle property tax is going. But it isn't like you are getting taxed for your apartment like a homeowner gets taxed for the value of their house and land. You are only getting taxed for the value of your car. That's it.
You are indirectly paying tax on your apartment--a portion of your rent goes to pay property taxes. In some states (I think NJ is one) you can even deduct it off of your income tax if you itemize.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

Ohh, thanks! I remember hearing about this tax and didn't realize this was the bill for it. I didn't know that it went to the county, schools, etc. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Is this every year?

Old 09-20-2007, 05:56 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,104 times
You have to pay vehicle property tax. It is taxed based on the municipality where your vehicle is registered. WakeGOV.com - Vehicle Taxes And yeah, you're taxed every year.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:35 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,964,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Um...yeah, why should homeowners have to pay for everything? Don't renters use the same services as homeowners?
We shouldn't pay property tax on property we don't own...anyway I'm sure it all gets passed along in the rent.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:47 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
If you own a car, then you own taxable property in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary