Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 03:53 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times

Advertisements

These pictures are of a somewhat older neighborhood called Baytree. It is located in North Raleigh North of I-540 just off of Durant road and close to Six Forks Road. I have included a map below indicating the general location of this neighborhood.

I am fascinated by this neighborhood because it was absolutely packed with trees. Many of the houses are on large lots. Most of the homes have cedar shake roofs. I was also noticed that many of the homes did not have paved driveways but instead had some sort of pea gravel.

I did a quick search of the wake county tax records and it looks like very few homes were sold in this neighborhood in 2007. Of those sales that I could find the prices ranged from $290K to $367K, but I imagine some of these homes are worth more. From what I saw it looks like many of these homes were built during the late 1970’s.

This neighborhood seems very special to me because it is in a central location in N. Raleigh yet it is very quiet and with all the trees it feels very secluded and private.

Hope you enjoy the Pictures.

These pictures were taken on September 21, 2007.

Map Showing Location of Baytree Neighborhood

Pictures of various Houses in the neighborhood. Check out the Cedar Shake Roofs!

View Looking Down the Street (Lots of Trees!)

More Houses

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 04:34 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,840 times
Wow, I just love all the trees. I'd live there in a heartbeat!

Thanks for posting the pics!

Old 09-21-2007, 05:54 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
Wow, great pictures and a great neighborhood. That is a beautiful community, I wouldn't want to leave there either. Those could be my first and last house.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Wow, great pictures and a great neighborhood. That is a beautiful community, I wouldn't want to leave there either. Those could be my first and last house.
Me too. I couldn't beleive this neighborhood! You have such great access to I-540 yet you feel like you are a world away from everything. I was not surpised at all that I didn't see and "For Sale" signs here.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:33 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,562 times
I would live in this neighborhood in a heartbeat also. This is almost exactly what I'd be looking for. I liked Chapel Hill because a lot of it looked like this, but it was more expensive.

What's the school situation? Transfers? Magnets? Etc.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
I would live in this neighborhood in a heartbeat also. This is almost exactly what I'd be looking for. I liked Chapel Hill because a lot of it looked like this, but it was more expensive.

What's the school situation? Transfers? Magnets? Etc.
Please take my posts about schools with a grain of salt since you will most likely need to confirm this info, but below are the links to school info I turned up when I did a search on the WCPSS website using a random address of a home in the Baytree neighborhood.

Node - 312.2 (http://wwwgis2.wcpss.net/cgi-bin/Production/MainScript.pl?MainOption=ShowPrograms&Assignment=C urrent&TypePrograms=Base&StreetNumber=300&StreetNa me=BAYTREE+LN+RALEIGH&NodeID=312.2&NoteNumber= - broken link)

Node - 312.2 (http://wwwgis2.wcpss.net/cgi-bin/Production/MainScript.pl?MainOption=ShowPrograms&Assignment=C urrent&TypePrograms=Optional&StreetNumber=300&Stre etName=BAYTREE+LN+RALEIGH&NodeID=312.2&NoteNumber= - broken link)

Growth Management Map (http://wwwgis2.wcpss.net/cgi-bin/mapserver/Production/WCMapscript.pl?MainOption=FindAddress&CurrentAddre ss=300+BAYTREE+LN+RALEIGH - broken link)

Like I said though, I didn't see any homes r sale here. Looks like people are slow to move out of that neighborhood!

Old 09-23-2007, 06:07 PM

I was wondering if any of you long time residents of Raleigh are familiar with this neighborhood or perhaps know somebody who lives /lived there at one time. There are several things about this neighborhood that I find interesting. First of all I find it surprising that a development from the 1970's was built this far out in N. Raleigh well outside of the 440 beltline. Aside from a few random farm homes in the area everything else located out on Durant Road next to this development is has been built fairly recently. I imagine it was very secluded in the past.

I am also curious why there appear to be so few home sales in this neighborhood. I admit, if I lived there I would never want to move, but I can only find 2 or 3 sales a year when I check the Wake County tax records.

Anyway, I am just interested in learning more about this neighborhood if anybody is familiar with it.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:47 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,562 times
Maybe one of our knowledgeable real estate friends can chime in? I'm also curious why no active listings and how long a house stood on the market when it was listed.

Mike? Vicki? Anyone?

Old 09-23-2007, 07:16 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
I look at these pictures as much as I look at the ones of my house under construction. Mine is nice but these are awesome. This is just one great photo shoot. With all of the trees the Raleigh heat might even be manageable. Maybe someone could number/label them and we could see which are the favorites. I have mine down to a couple

Old 09-23-2007, 07:29 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,354,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I was wondering if any of you long time residents of Raleigh are familiar with this neighborhood or perhaps know somebody who lives /lived there at one time.
I don't know anyone who has lived in this neighborhood. But there are other, similar neighborhoods in this part of North Raleigh which were also built during this time period. One which I'm familiar with is Coachman's Trail. It is just north up Six Forks Road from Baytree, and was also built during the 1970s. If you like Baytree, you will probably also like Coachman's Trail.

I've know a few people who live in Coachman's Trail, and have also driven through the neighborhood a few times. Really nice, older neighborhood. Large, wooded lots, distinctive homes. Most looked to be well maintained when I last visited my friends a few years ago. And, if you are lucky, you can get one of the homes on the ponds in the neighborhood!

Anyway, I guess my roundabout point is if you like neighborhoods like this, check out the established neighborhoods in North Raleigh. There are several to choose from. Many are really nice, and you can get those large, wooded lots that so many seem to covet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary