Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 05:57 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Maple View Dairy. They have a ice cream shop across from Weaver Street Market in Carrboro, but even better is the country store out in rural Hillsborough.

+1 for the country store. Get your ice cream and enjoy it on a rocking chair on the covered front porch. (It's been a while, but I used to do a 62 mile bike ride [aptly named the Ice-Cream Route] that had this as a stop just a few miles from the finish. Good stuff)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 06:50 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskb View Post
Fresh, on Glenwood Ave by Taverna Agora and Golden Corral, also sells Maple View Ice Cream. And a food science major from NC State also tells me the NC State Creamery is great as well!

Our Story - Fresh Local Ice Cream

Howling Cow
Yes I love both these places, though NCSU's ice cream will always hold a special place in my heart

Last edited by evaofnc; 06-15-2012 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: a

Old 06-15-2012, 07:32 AM

7 posts, read 13,317 times
We're lucky enough here at my office to have these guys visit us a few times a month:

The Parlour

Absolutely great ice cream (my favorite is the Vietnamese Coffee), and really nice folks as well. They're also in the middle of a Kickstarter campaign to raise funding for a brick-and-mortar location in Durham.

Their schedule is on their website, and you can usually catch them at the Durham Farmers' Market location on Saturdays, or when there is a Durham Food Truck Rodeo. (FYI, there is one this Sunday for Father's Day)

Old 06-15-2012, 07:38 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
I didn't realize NC State made ice cream! I'll have to try it and see if it even holds a candle to Penn State's creamery! I sure could go for a big scoop of Peachy Paterno right about now:-)
When we took the tour at Maple View, we learned that they learned how to make ice cream at "Ice Cream University" at Penn State.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:40 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Those poor lactose intolerant folks....
Maple View carries sorbet as well. We took our cousin who is allergic to dairy and he was able to have fresh strawberry (or raspberry?) sorbet, which he said was very good.

It's definitely worth the trip to go to the farm and sit on their rockers overlooking the beautiful farm scenery, while the kids play in the grass.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:58 AM

360 posts, read 995,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
When we took the tour at Maple View, we learned that they learned how to make ice cream at "Ice Cream University" at Penn State.
Ben and Jerry also learned to make ice cream there

Old 06-15-2012, 08:02 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH_VT View Post
We're lucky enough here at my office to have these guys visit us a few times a month:

The Parlour

Absolutely great ice cream (my favorite is the Vietnamese Coffee), and really nice folks as well. They're also in the middle of a Kickstarter campaign to raise funding for a brick-and-mortar location in Durham.

Their schedule is on their website, and you can usually catch them at the Durham Farmers' Market location on Saturdays, or when there is a Durham Food Truck Rodeo. (FYI, there is one this Sunday for Father's Day)
I've heard great things about The Parlour. It's a good thing they don't stop at my work to tempt me!

Old 06-15-2012, 11:22 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeri View Post
Have you tried the ice cream at the State Fair from the John Deere tractor machines? Delicious.
Sure have. It's very good indeed.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:37 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Maple View Dairy is not that great, not dense or creamy enough
Quote:
I didn't realize NC State made ice cream! I'll have to try it and see if it even holds a candle to Penn State's creamery!
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
jmana - I'm starting to wonder if you perhaps had an isolated bad experience at Maple View. Perhaps you need to give it another shot.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:28 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
My daughter and I just went to Maple View today and it was, as usual, fabulous! It was very dense and creamy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary