Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 06:18 AM

279 posts, read 702,307 times

Advertisements

Ok. We have been trying to decide between NC, Florida (where family is) and staying here in Maine.
We really want to try NC.
I think the best thing to do is to try like a 3 month lease to try it. Where would you recommend?
We would have to store a lot of our stuff (appliances). We would plan to pre-pay 3 months rent so we can find my husband a decent job without worrying about the rent.
We are in our 30's and our children are 4 and almost 2.
Can anyone help narrow it down?
I am going to Florida on the 17th and I would consider a drive up there to finalize our plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 06:26 AM

709 posts, read 934,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagetoutofmaine View Post
Ok. We have been trying to decide between NC, Florida (where family is) and staying here in Maine.
I think the best thing to do is to try like a 3 month lease to try it. Where would you recommend?
We would have to store a lot of our stuff (appliances). We would plan to pre-pay 3 months rent so we can find my husband a decent job without worrying about the rent.
I am going to Florida on the 17th and I would consider a drive up there to finalize our plans.

Where are you in maine? I sure like maine better than NC.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:35 AM

I am in Gorham, west of Portland.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I am in Gorham, west of Portland.
Seems like a nice spot. Cold in the winter and late springs though. But beautiful area, the coast is so much nicer than the NC coast.
We moved down to Fuquay south of raleigh last year, been visiting for 20 years the Raleigh area, wife from Raleigh wanted to go home from NJ. Anyway way too much development for me. Our kids are grown and live elseware so being here is not essential for us. who knows 5 years where we will end up but the Triangle will not be our last stop.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:52 AM

It is nice, we just will never be able to buy anything around here. We would have to move up to the top of the state where there is NOTHING to do, and then we would not have jobs.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:05 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
GottaGetOutOfMaine, I saw in another thread that you are considering moving down here to be closer to family. I can totally understand that! But I'm not sure what is drawing you towards NC when you said your family is in Florida. Is it because you think there are more job opportunities in your field here? Or for cheaper real estate? What fields do you and your husband work in?

I know these questions sound invasive, but I honestly ask because I think it might help us make better recommendations.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:32 AM

I guess the real estate is a draw. The weather is definitely a draw as well.The part about moving to NC that scares me is knowing NOBODY. I would be staying home with the kids and would not be able to get out to get to the gym by myself, etc.
My husband is a commercial truck driver, but drives locally, not over the road.
I have 8 years experience working for a university, but will stay home since daycare costs are too expensive.
I wish I had a crystal ball.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I guess the real estate is a draw. The weather is definitely a draw as well.The part about moving to NC that scares me is knowing NOBODY. I would be staying home with the kids and would not be able to get out to get to the gym by myself, etc.
My husband is a commercial truck driver, but drives locally, not over the road.
I have 8 years experience working for a university, but will stay home since daycare costs are too expensive.
I wish I had a crystal ball.
If you moved to some of the neighborhoods down here in the triangle you WOULD have many moms just like you. Sure you wouldn't know many people BUT many here are in the same situation and really people down here who have moved here with children are nice.

Come take a look.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:05 AM

546 posts, read 2,416,801 times
Moving to Raleigh without knowing anyone is easier than you think. Many other people will be in the same situation and people are really friendlly and easy to meet. When we first moved here I had a two year old. We met people in our neighborhood, at the park (lots!), preschool, Brueggers, Starbucks, church, just about everywhere. Once your kids start school and organized sports it is even easier. A lot of the gyms here have a "daycare" room where kids can be supervised while you workout. I put my babies in a jogging stroller and walked around the lakes (with my new friends!). Come on down!

Old 09-29-2007, 11:05 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Quote:
Having been in a similar situation we went with a 7 month lease. We were glad we did as it gave us a month to get settled and a couple of months to see traffic patterns and get input on schools. It also gave us a few months to look at as many homes as we could. One thing there is here is variety so you may do yourself a dis junctive by trying to relocate your family get established and find a home in 3 months. There are plenty of places here to store your belongings, from apartment complexes to climate controlled 3rd party storage facilities.

Your kids will have at least a couple of years before they start school so that is a plus. Will give you time to decide if you want WCPSS or private schools.

Hopefully your husband can find a 'decent' job in 3 months. That all depends on what he does. My neighbor from New Jersey who was in IT was here almost a year before he found what he felt was a 'decent paying' job. It still was 30% less then he made in New Jersey.

Good luck on your pick. NC is as good as any place to more to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary