Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 03:58 PM

208 posts, read 415,232 times

Advertisements

Hi all, Just wanted to introduce myself. My wife and I (late 20s/early 30s) will be moving to the RT area next week. The reason for the move is due to me being transferred with my employer. I will be working at the Merck facility in Durham.

We will be renting a townhouse in Cary for a few months while our house is being built in the Ashton Hall development. The builder claims the house will be complete at some point in October.

We are looking to meet people who enjoy going out and doing things. I'm totally open to suggestions for things to do from people that have been in the area, we like outdoorsy stuff (biking, hiking, etc) as well as indoors stuff...taking classes (cooking, painting, etc).

Anyway, if you have any suggestions for things to do or are interested in meeting up and having a drink let me know! We are excited to meet some new people and make new friends!

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 04:47 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
Good hiking and mountain biking in Umstead Park and Crabtree Park, which are right at the Harrison and Aviation exits of I40 in Cary.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:37 PM

794 posts, read 1,326,158 times
Definitely join Meetup.com and search for groups according to your interests. Meetups are great and it certainly helped me meet lots of people when I moved her last year. Welcome and enjoy!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:34 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Yeah, I've never used Meetup but it sounds like a very successful way to find people doing the things you're interested in. Also check local newspapers and entertainment magazines (The Independent is a weekly one) for things such as hiking clubs or indoors interest groups. For artsy things like painting, check with either the Durham Arts Council or the Pullen Arts Center (Raleigh) which have all kinds of classes and activities such as theatre groups, choral and orchestral groups, etc. Volunteering at a local theatre backstage is a wonderful (and fun) way to meet folks very quickly, especially Raleigh Little Theatre which always needs volunteers and will train you to do absolutely anything (their next production is The Rocky Horror Show, probably a fun one to be involved in, LOL!)

Point of order: You probably aren't moving "to Research Triangle", as that is the business/research entity with not really any residents per se. Generally this metro area is referred to as "The Triangle" (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill).

Old 07-17-2012, 05:01 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Point of order: You probably aren't moving "to Research Triangle", as that is the business/research entity with not really any residents per se. Generally this metro area is referred to as "The Triangle" (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill).
Expect a reply from CHTransplant soon telling you that you are wrong

//www.city-data.com/forum/24606465-post4.html

Old 07-17-2012, 06:03 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,963,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Expect a reply from CHTransplant soon telling you that you are wrong

//www.city-data.com/forum/24606465-post4.html
That's like the road in North Raleigh. Technically, the name is Falls of Neuse, but everyone calls it Falls of The Neuse (or just Falls). There was a great thread about things like this that newcomers should know, but I can't find it. Maybe someone else can use Search better than me.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:43 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Expect a reply from CHTransplant soon telling you that you are wrong [/url]
Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:18 AM

143 posts, read 385,544 times
Jason,

Congrats on the transfer to NC. You will love the area, it is much different from PA (I assume that is where you are moving from) The Merck facility has a pretty good blend of locals and new transplants so I am sure you will have no problems meeting new people.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:46 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,168,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
This is correct. Ignore anyone who argues otherwise. "Research Triangle Park" is a distinct geographic entity. "The Triangle" is the general region, which also includes Cary, as well as Raleigh, Durham & Chapel Hill.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:18 AM

208 posts, read 415,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matsmom View Post
Jason,

Congrats on the transfer to NC. You will love the area, it is much different from PA (I assume that is where you are moving from) The Merck facility has a pretty good blend of locals and new transplants so I am sure you will have no problems meeting new people.
Thanks! I've lived in Washington, Michigan (East and West), Pennsylvania, and now North Carolina in the last 5 years. You are correct that I am moving from PA. It sounds like you have some knowledge of the Merck site, do you happen to work there? I was just telling my wife that when I was down in Durham back in April I think I came across 1-2 southern accents over the 5 days I was there. The area really seems like a melting pot of transplants and relocations.

What about Falls Lake? We have a jetski and I was wondering if they have designated areas for boating available.

Thanks!

Jason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary