Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:21 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
So what I am gathering here is that if you had put down some good top soil, your Bermuda grass would not be a problem .. correct? Then if that is the problem, why not address that problem instead of going back to a grass you got rid of in the first place .. knowing that you will once again have to deal with the sun and all the other short-comings of the Fescue?
I already said I'm getting soil.

I prefer fescue 100:1 over bermuda. Had I known the bermuda wasn't going to work I would've got the soil then got bermuda.

My point was, what was preventing the fescue from growing deep into the ground was the same thing that was happening to the bermuda. In your case most likely, simply putting bermuda on top (or worse, ripping up the top layer of your yard) and putting sod down probably won't turn out like you would expect.

Seriously take a look at the mx requirements of bermuda and focus on the nitrogen outlay as well as thatch buildup. Those two things take a LOT of work, they make fescue look easy! Plus if you want a nice looking bermuda yard you need a reel mower (power or push). Those are an expensive and laborious alternative to the regular rotary mower you are used to.

A nice looking Tif 419 is a sight to behold but it takes a LOT of work to get looking nice. We're talking mowing several times a week here...in the summer. You can let it grow but it gets thin and doesn't pack in tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 10:04 AM

842 posts, read 2,587,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I already said I'm getting soil.

I prefer fescue 100:1 over bermuda. Had I known the bermuda wasn't going to work I would've got the soil then got bermuda.

My point was, what was preventing the fescue from growing deep into the ground was the same thing that was happening to the bermuda. In your case most likely, simply putting bermuda on top (or worse, ripping up the top layer of your yard) and putting sod down probably won't turn out like you would expect.

Seriously take a look at the mx requirements of bermuda and focus on the nitrogen outlay as well as thatch buildup. Those two things take a LOT of work, they make fescue look easy! Plus if you want a nice looking bermuda yard you need a reel mower (power or push). Those are an expensive and laborious alternative to the regular rotary mower you are used to.

A nice looking Tif 419 is a sight to behold but it takes a LOT of work to get looking nice. We're talking mowing several times a week here...in the summer. You can let it grow but it gets thin and doesn't pack in tight.
So a better alternative to what I have would probably be zoysia. Yeah .. I know it is probably the most expensive of them all, but I seriously need a heat tolerant alternative to Fescue.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:28 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Part of the problem with the warm season grasses is that they do require maintenance. Many people must think you just put in Bermuda or Zoisia and walk away and it is so much easier than Fescue when that's not necessarily true. Yes, it's less water once it's established, but everything else is comparable or even more involved in some cases, just at different times of the year.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:28 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
So a better alternative to what I have would probably be zoysia. Yeah .. I know it is probably the most expensive of them all, but I seriously need a heat tolerant alternative to Fescue.
Look into centipede if you don't want to do much work outside on your lawn

Fertilize maybe twice a year
Mow 1-2 times a month
Dormant in the winter
"Lazy man's" grass for a reason

But it looks like poop (IMO), picture crab grass.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Look into centipede if you don't want to do much work outside on your lawn

Fertilize maybe twice a year
Mow 1-2 times a month
Dormant in the winter
"Lazy man's" grass for a reason

But it looks like poop (IMO), picture crab grass.
I do not have an issue taking care of the grass, but what I have a problem with is despite best efforts to keep my grass watered and groomed, it still burns up in the southern heat mainly because it is a grass that does not do very well in this climate here in the south. I could also care less what it looks like in the winter, but grass should look green during the summer months and not brown because it is exposed to sun light for extended periods of time - That is just crazy, especially in the south. The Fescue does extremely poor in the heat.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:39 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
I do not have an issue taking care of the grass, but what I have a problem with is despite best efforts to keep my grass watered and groomed, it still burns up in the southern heat mainly because it is a grass that does not do very well in this climate here in the south. I could also care less what it looks like in the winter, but grass should look green during the summer months and not brown because it is exposed to sun light for extended periods of time - That is just crazy, especially in the south. The Fescue does extremely poor in the heat.
Lovin' my Zoysia. Wish I had done it years ago.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:46 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Lovin' my Zoysia. Wish I had done it years ago.

Me too! Irrigation system hasn't watered the lawn in years.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:00 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Me too! Irrigation system hasn't watered the lawn in years.
It browned up when it was 100 for a few days, so I watered it, but that was it. Lush and green.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I live on a farm and my fairly thick "lawn" is composed of bermuda, crabgrass, clover. Sounds terrible from the viewpoint of a suburbanite, but it looks good here. Fescue just cannot make it. In the burbs, it looks like a lot of homes use a medium turf rather than a fine turf, but I have no idea what the species is/are.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I live on a farm and my fairly thick "lawn" is composed of bermuda, crabgrass, clover. Sounds terrible from the viewpoint of a suburbanite, but it looks good here. Fescue just cannot make it. In the burbs, it looks like a lot of homes use a medium turf rather than a fine turf, but I have no idea what the species is/are.
LOL ... nice mixture of grass you have going on there "luv4horses", at least you are a proud owner of assorted grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary