Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:12 PM

29 posts, read 55,256 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My family will be relocating to the Raleigh area this fall (new job for me!). The office will be moving from Wilson to downtown Raleigh (they want to be right near the State House).

That being said, I'm looking for a 20 minute commute or so from Capital Boulevard. We will be renting and looking for a single-family home, 4 BR and preferably a yard for our little 3 yr. old. Seems like rentals in Cary don't seem to have much yard space?

Any ideas of where we could tell the reatlor? I like the homes in Wake Forest, Holly Springs, and Apex, but it seems like it's going to be a far commute. Would much rather be at home with my family than in a car.

Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 01:14 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Monthly Rent $$$ ??

Old 08-20-2012, 01:49 PM

$1500-1800/month.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:33 PM

397 posts, read 805,484 times
It's a LONG haul from Holly Springs to Capital Blvd every day.

You're going to be fighting traffic every morning.

I'm going the opposite way from Raleigh to Cary, and I can see the line of cars stuck in traffic going the opposite way.

I would try to find some place a little closer in with wasy access to the HWY.

Not sure when 540 will open up and help those folks get to DT on the new beltline.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:49 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,390 times
I did that commute from N. Raleigh (near Falls & I-540) pretty regularly. Atlantic Avenue is a boon since there's less traffic/stoplights on it. Maybe look for something along that corridor? (Atlantic Ave/Litchford Rd, even up to the area between Litchford and Durant). Quiet neighborhoods with decently sized yards.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:57 PM

342 posts, read 872,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
It's a LONG haul from Holly Springs to Capital Blvd every day.

You're going to be fighting traffic every morning.

I'm going the opposite way from Raleigh to Cary, and I can see the line of cars stuck in traffic going the opposite way.

I would try to find some place a little closer in with wasy access to the HWY.

Not sure when 540 will open up and help those folks get to DT on the new beltline.
I can get from Holly Springs to Downtown Raleigh in 20 - 30 minutes depending on Traffic. Coming home it depends, but that is usually 25 - 45 minutes.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:20 PM

Eeeek. Can anyone recommend any neighborhoods? Our realtor said Twin Lakes in Cary might work. But seriously, I need some recommendations as we don't know the area at all, really! Thanks!! MUCH appreciated!!

Old 08-20-2012, 03:21 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
I am bit confused by the OP. Is the job downtown or is the job on Capital Boulevard? While it's the case that Capital exits downtown on the north side, there aren't that many places that I'd consider both on Capital Boulevard and in Downtown. Now, I am not asking the question to be a smart-alec. I am asking because it could shape my response.
If in fact the job is DT and on that small stretch of Capital that is still considered DT, I'd add that the OP could look in Garner for housing. Coming up into to DT from the South via S. Saunders St. puts one on the path through DT proper and right onto Capital Boulevard on the other end. Garner is closer to DT than many other suburban areas of Raleigh and probably has a larger stock of housing with more land. Garner is also a tad more culturally Southern than its sister-suburbs and that might be an easier transition from Wilson.
Good luck!

Old 08-20-2012, 03:21 PM

Thoughts on Wake Forest, or is that even further?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:24 PM

Pfish, sorry about that. My new job doesn't have an office yet, but want to be near the capital, most definitely. They are the ones who keep saying "downtown Raleigh," so I didn't know the difference. But I know the office will be (and I quote) "within walking distance to the state house." Does that help? Just looking for an easy commute in and out, within a 20 minute radius or so. Is that possible? People have said North Raleigh would be an option, but I don't know any neighborhood names and you can't search by "North Raleigh" on any of the web sites, just "Raleigh."

Someone mentioned Zebulon - again, too far out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary