Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 05:08 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,727 times

Advertisements

Wake Forest mulls 'urban archery' to control deer population :: WRAL.com

The deer population here in downtown Wake Forest, where I reside, is frighteningly high. When I was walking my dog, around 7 am this morning, I counted 11 deer grazing less then 10 feet from the side of my apartment building.

We've three bucks, that I've seen, and during rut it gets crazy.

What do y'all think about the bow and arrow being used as a solution? Although there is a huge problem with the deer population, I fear innocent people could be injured or a deer being hit but not brought down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 05:41 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times
I hate hunting and think that there are, of course, not too many deer but too many new houses built on their land.

Near where I used to live in NY, there was a bow hunting program. Here's a link:
Irondequoit bow hunt nets 32 deer, so far - Canandaigua, NY - MPNnow I often saw deer gathering in the evening on suburban neighborhood streets.

Bow hunting is safer than shooting, I believe, and is a necessary evil.

Bow hunters most likely use the meat.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:13 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
I wish they would do something like that here in Chapel Hill. The other morning I counted 13 deer in my back yard and 2 of them had antlers any hunter would be proud to hang on the wall. My dogs go bonkers when they hear or see them. When I go outside or open a window to run them off, they just look at me, freeze in place and them start eating again. Friday we have appointment with deer fence man. I just can't take it anymore.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:02 PM

467 posts, read 1,775,007 times
I think it's ridiculous - quit taking their land, and then you won't feel overrun! I live in downtown WF and have a decent yard - the deer can come hang out at my place. Pass the word!

Old 08-28-2012, 08:09 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
I had four in my yard last night.
Can you bow hunt at 2AM? Through the bathroom window?

Old 08-28-2012, 08:39 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,168,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalrenee View Post
I think it's ridiculous - quit taking their land, and then you won't feel overrun! I live in downtown WF and have a decent yard - the deer can come hang out at my place. Pass the word!
You should educate yourself. The deer population in NC is growing in leaps and bounds. It has NOTHING to do with loss of habitat. The biggest predator to the deer is the car. And that is an unfortunate situation for both the car owner, the insurance company and the deer. At least when they are harvested, they are put to good use and eaten! The herd in downtown Wake Forest are pests, and problematic. They can also be dangerous if encountered. There's a much greater chance that they may feel cornered or trapped if encountered in town. They are also capable of doing a lot of property damage. And they can also spread disease, ticks, etc. Ever heard of lyme disease? Ever heard of chronic wasting disease?

Old 08-29-2012, 04:27 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,478,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalrenee View Post
Yes! We can also release some wolf packs into the town so we have a real life-like habitat and natural population control.

I think deer are as cute as the next girl (they are really sweet...hate the thought of killing them) but the fact is that when animals reproduce unchecked the unbalance is unhealthy for the animals and the environment.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:35 AM

99 posts, read 181,988 times
There are a ton of them. I never realized how many until I saw a guy I know feeding them in his back yard. Incredible.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:54 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I hate hunting and think that there are, of course, not too many deer but too many new houses built on their land.
I'd agree if there were any natural predators for the deer but we've done a good job of killing those off over the years. Hunting helps keep the deer population in check so you don't end up with too many deer and not enough food for them. I'd rather see deer hunted and eaten than starving or getting hit by cars.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:33 AM

14 posts, read 43,614 times
What sources can you cite for your growing by leaps and bounds deer population stats? Turns out that while there are some localized areas of growth, overall, the herd is stabilized and even declining.

From NC Wildlife Resource Commision:
North Carolina’s population of white-tailed deer is estimated at 1.35 million animals. The state had a growing population of white-tailed deer until either-sex seasons were liberalized in the early 1990s. This liberalization of either-sex seasons across most areas of the state allowed for increased opportunity for sportsmen/women to harvest antlerless deer. The population trend of our state’s deer herd quickly stabilized and has actually started to decrease for most areas of the state. However, there are areas throughout the state where localized populations continue to increase. Those areas where populations are rapidly increasing are typically urban/suburban areas where the utilization of hunting as a management tool has been greatly hindered.
Whitetail Deer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary