Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2022, 06:36 AM

715 posts, read 1,038,510 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to the EEC/885 finally opening. I take 70/S. Miami Blvd from north Durham to the Morrisville/Cary line for work every couple of weeks and I have the driving time from 70 east where the new EEC ramp takes a left-handed exit off to head toward 147, to my work destination, taped on my dashboard. The first time I can take the EEC / 885 to 40 and then east to Page Road and my destination... I'm going to time it and see how much time I save/**if it saves me real time compared to the redlights on S. Miami. 70 east to S. Miami seems to me to be becoming busier and busier in recent years with 18-wheelers and large dumpster trucks and box trucks, as the best haulover route from 85 coming from the north to 40. Seems to have gotten even busier. My guess is taking some of that traffic load off onto 885 oughta help reduce volume on S. Miami for local traffic. 885 will likely be faster for me from north Durham to this work location at the Morrisville/Cary border. Last I drove through it was getting finishing touches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2022, 07:14 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
The lane shifts on 147 coming southbound is really annoying right now without the project being open. If you’re in the right lane coming out of downtown Durham, you’ll end up having to change lanes to the left twice through the work zone.

Old 06-19-2022, 08:15 AM

368 posts, read 294,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
The lane shifts on 147 coming southbound is really annoying right now without the project being open. If you’re in the right lane coming out of downtown Durham, you’ll end up having to change lanes to the left twice through the work zone.
It was backed up to Fayetteville Street Friday afternoon. Durham’s going to get some heat for removing the Durham Freeway widening (EEC to I-40) fro, their long range plan.

Old 06-19-2022, 03:47 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficSys View Post
It was backed up to Fayetteville Street Friday afternoon. Durham’s going to get some heat for removing the Durham Freeway widening (EEC to I-40) fro, their long range plan.
Was re-routing US-70 off of I-85 and onto the Durham Freeway between I-85 and the EEC ever considered? It just seems kinda pointless to keep 147 at this point.

Old 06-19-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Was re-routing US-70 off of I-85 and onto the Durham Freeway between I-85 and the EEC ever considered? It just seems kinda pointless to keep 147 at this point.
Not that I know of. Doesn’t make sense from a routing standpoint to direct a US route through downtown, especially when the City/MPO wouldn’t mind removing the freeway.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:59 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Wow, I just drove this tonight coming home and it’s just crazy what they’ve done. They’ve completely turned Durham Freeway into a side street basically and given two free lanes from the new EEC to continue on the old freeway. Now all traffic coming from Durham need to merge into the new lanes. This should have been an even 1:1 combination and then the two outside lanes should then drop. As is already happening, this will cause massive backups and wasted time and fuel.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:41 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Some people in Durham driving to RTP may discover it's faster to get on 85 in North Durham (even if that means driving north from their homes) and then take 885 toward the park than to take 147 then 885. Durham has had its chances to lobby for improvements to 147 and I think what's happening is the natural outcome of disinterest.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Wow, I just drove this tonight coming home and it’s just crazy what they’ve done. They’ve completely turned Durham Freeway into a side street basically and given two free lanes from the new EEC to continue on the old freeway. Now all traffic coming from Durham need to merge into the new lanes. This should have been an even 1:1 combination and then the two outside lanes should then drop. As is already happening, this will cause massive backups and wasted time and fuel.
The interstate route (the EEC) was always going to be the main road. NB, the Durham Freeway is the exit, although to the left, and eventually will have two newly formed lanes with the continuous lanes heading to the EEC. Those markings haven’t been changed yet, and probably will be done the night the EEC is opened.v At this time, it’s a temporary situation, since no SB ‘traffic is getting off onto the EEC. The forecasts had that split almost equal.

The lane drops are “normal” in that the right lanes are the ones dropped. The future project, which Durham dropped from their long term list, would add a third lane in each direction between the EEC and 40, and would make this much better.

IIRC, the future project went from being scheduled for 2024 to being “not funded.” That is all on the Durham MPO, which has decided that they don’t want lanes added anymore, since everybody should walk or take the light rail. (The first part is what happened, the “why” is my editorial opinion as a Durham resident of 40+ years and also reading the MPO’s statements.)

Old 06-20-2022, 08:03 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficSys View Post
IIRC, the future project went from being scheduled for 2024 to being “not funded.” That is all on the Durham MPO, which has decided that they don’t want lanes added anymore, since everybody should walk or take the light rail. (The first part is what happened, the “why” is my editorial opinion as a Durham resident of 40+ years and also reading the MPO’s statements.)
The unfortunate thing is that there is zero vision on what Durham even wants to do from a transit point of view. They've gotten basically nothing from their transit sales tax while Raleigh has added new bus routes at least for now and is about to break ground on a BRT line later this year. And there's talk that Durham representatives are waffling about whether to participate in the Wake-Durham commuter rail line after the light rail debacle (which would kill that project likely if they don't)

They just have zero clue what they want to do at this point.

Old 06-20-2022, 12:16 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
I don't know that Durham's pulling out of the commuter rail program would kill it, but the nature of the program would certainly change. I think the program from RTP/Airport into Raleigh is secure regardless of what Durham does, although the project would be slowed down. What you might see is more intent on the part of Wake County to reach Garner/Clayton, Apex, Wake Forest, or Knightdale/Wendell/Zebulon by rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary