Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2006, 09:12 PM

179 posts, read 582,627 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are looking to retire and move to NC. After considerable conversations with friends up here who are from NC, Cary seems to come up the most. I have been looking at tons of real estate ads, but I have a few questions about them. First are there many areas in Cary where I might find a single level ranch house 10 or less years old, on 1-2 acres of land ? There seems to be only a limited number of homes like this. We prefer not to live in a community type area where the homes seem to be right on top of each other. Also the ads give no idea of what property taxes are, which is a big concern when comparing the exhorbitant taxes we pay up here. I'd like to get at least some kind of idea what property taxes would be in Cary on a home like I've described above. One other quick question, is what are the health facilities like in this area ? I've been told the best area for health care is over in Cabarrus County when I was in Concord earlier this year. Just trying to plan for the aging process. Anyway, we will be coming down to NC next month (Charlette) for the race, then heading to Cary to look around. Any suggestions or help with my questions will be greatly appreciated. Sorry this is so long, but I'm sure most of you who have made a move like this , know exactly what we're going through in making this decision.

Thanks for any help, Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 04:45 AM

229 posts, read 1,053,917 times
Smile Connecticut to Cary

Just wanted to comment regarding your request for information on ranch homes and retirement communities on one acre in Cary. Currently there are just a handful of active living communities in this area with ranch homes. They include:

Heritage Pines (Homes are almost sold out in this neighborhood, but you can find resales)
Carolina Preseve by Dale Webb (Homes Ready in January 2007)
Searstone-Coming Soon

However, the farther you go South from Cary you can find larger lot sizes. Holly Springs and Fuquay Varina are two areas that you may be interested in. I recently worked with a couple that plans on retiring here and they were able to get 3/4 of an acre on the 9th hole at Crooked Creek for under $400,000. It would all depend on how much you are willing to spend and how far away from the hussle and bustle of city life that you'd like to be. Let me know if you'd like more information via email.

Tracy

Old 10-01-2006, 08:46 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billjr View Post
Hi,
We are looking to retire and move to NC. After considerable conversations with friends up here who are from NC, Cary seems to come up the most. I have been looking at tons of real estate ads, but I have a few questions about them. First are there many areas in Cary where I might find a single level ranch house 10 or less years old, on 1-2 acres of land ? There seems to be only a limited number of homes like this. We prefer not to live in a community type area where the homes seem to be right on top of each other. Also the ads give no idea of what property taxes are, which is a big concern when comparing the exhorbitant taxes we pay up here. I'd like to get at least some kind of idea what property taxes would be in Cary on a home like I've described above. One other quick question, is what are the health facilities like in this area ? I've been told the best area for health care is over in Cabarrus County when I was in Concord earlier this year. Just trying to plan for the aging process. Anyway, we will be coming down to NC next month (Charlette) for the race, then heading to Cary to look around. Any suggestions or help with my questions will be greatly appreciated. Sorry this is so long, but I'm sure most of you who have made a move like this , know exactly what we're going through in making this decision.

Thanks for any help, Bill
Cary is the wrong place for you. A new ranch on an acre or more isn't really much of an option any more. Cary is more about the densly packed subidvisions that you said you didn't like. The areas north of Charlotte (it's spelled with an O), or South of Raleigh would probably be more what you are looking for. Charlotte and RDU are pretty far away from eachother though, at least a 2 hour drive.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:30 PM

i'minformed,
Thanks very much for your input. I have been starting to realize exactly what you are saying by reading alot of the posts here. Oddly enough, the Charlotte area is also one we have been contemplating, on fact it was our first choice until friends up here were all talking about Cary. Would you be able to give me any towns that you believe are particulaly nice in that area ? We are going to Charlotte in 2 weeks, and are planning to stay a few days after the race just to look at different locations.

Thanks again for the much appreciated information, Bill

Old 10-02-2006, 06:24 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Property tax is based on $100 of value. In addition to Wake County and City of Cary municipal tax, your tax bill may also include the following:

Recycling Fees – Charged per living unit on the property. A single family home would normally have 1 living unit, whereas a duplex would have two.

Fire District Tax – A rate charged in addition to County and/or municipal taxes if the property is located in a fire tax district.

Special District Tax - A rate charged in addition to County and/or municipal taxes if the property is located in a special district designated by legislation. This is normally a downtown area.

Vehicle Fee – Charged annually for licensed motor vehicles located within Cary.

Wake County Tax Rate & Fee Charts

http://www.wakegov.com/NR/rdonlyres/3075F8F0-0939-413A-8CDE-EE09921BA00D/0/TaxRates2006.pdf (broken link)

Old 10-02-2006, 06:30 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Best nationally ranked medical facility in NC - Duke University Medical Center in Durham. Ranked #7 overall in the United States for 2006.

Last edited by mm34b; 10-02-2006 at 06:45 PM..

Old 10-02-2006, 07:00 PM

110 posts, read 394,754 times
Quite honestly, if your not attending the race, stay away from the track until the day after the race ends. Traffic will be terrible, even worse than a usual Saturday. Concord Mills goes for the same reason. Parking will be insane.

My advice, cruise other areas until the race is over

Old 10-03-2006, 06:16 PM

Thank all of you for your very valuable advice. I should have thought of Duke myself, as it is well known up here also. Actually we will be going to the race, staying right down the street, but we plan on staying down there for a few more days to just look around. What exactly is Concord Mills, is that a nice town in that general area ? We did look briefly in May around Mooresville and Kannapolis, but we were really just looking blind as we only knew of those towns because of our interest in racing. I guess I should probably be posting under the Charlotte heading as it sounds like it is more like the type of area we are looking for. We'd like to be a little out of the way with some property, but not so far away that every trip to the store ends up being a half day trip. Are there in fact any areas like this in the Raleigh Durham part of the state, or will I be needing to look more westerly for a more country, but not isolated type of environment ?

Thanks again, Bill

Old 10-03-2006, 07:12 PM

110 posts, read 394,754 times
Concord Mills so Im told is the most visited tourist attraction in NC. People come here to visit a mall??

Its a large mall outlet completed in 2000 off of Speedway Blvd, only a couple of miles from Lowes Motor Speedway. Lots of restaraunts and smaller buildings are close to it. You name it, its there. But its not really connected to Concord per se, at least the city limits. Has a go cart track too. Bass Pro Shop is located inside Concord Mills as well.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:44 PM

3 posts, read 9,768 times
BillJr,
Not sure if you found a place yet, lol...it has been a year. Just stumbled across your post while searching for something else. We just moved up here last summer from Florida and we chose Statesville. We did some of the same search you did ie; Mooresville and Kannapolis and we just couldn't find what we wanted. Granted we didn't have the same search you did, a piece of property, we wanted an old house to fix up. Our real estate agent suggest Statesville because that is where she lived and it is a very charming town. I have to say I like it much better than the other two. There is also property still available around Statesville very reasonable and also in the Taylorsville area. Statesville is a small town with alot of amenities that bigger towns have and you can commute to Hickory or Charlotte within 30 minutes. You are also still in the heart of Nascar as well. As a whole we have thouroughly enjoyed our move and our lifestyle we enjoy now. I hope you enjoy NC as much as we do!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary