Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 08:27 PM

62 posts, read 145,970 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am looking to relocate to Raleigh in early 2013 for work. I'm originally from northern Virginia and have no interest in going back. However, I'm currently in Mississippi for work, and have no interest in staying here. Basically, I am looking for a single family home in the $175-300k range. Preferably 3-4 bedrooms and 2.5-3 baths.

About me: I'm a pretty regular 23 year old guy. I like sports, bars, the usual. I'm single, so I'd like an area that's relatively young/up-and-coming and has a little bit of a nightlife/social scene.

What I'm looking for: I'm looking for an area that isn't necessarily "walkable," but does have shopping, bars, restaurants, entertainment near by (within 10 minutes or so?). As I stated, at least a partially young professional crowed. Preferably an area that is relatively safe. And has somewhat easy access to downtown Raleigh, where I'll be working (unsure of exact location). As I said, I've lived/worked in NoVA and the only thing I couldn't stand was the 1.5 hour commute. I'm not too concerned with the area schools, but I don't want to live in a horrendous school district either. Also, I'd prefer new development or houses built relatively recently (within 5-6 years).

I've looked at Renaissance Park, and I think that's the type of community I'd like. Although, I'm open to all suggestions. I'm not sure, but it kind of looked like a community geared toward older couples and those with kids. The only threads I could find we're older and stated there wasn't much to do in the immediate vicinity of the neighborhood. Does this still hold true?

I've also heard Brier Creek may be a nice option. Any thoughts on this location?

All insight is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 AM

43 posts, read 85,879 times
I am a huge fan of a neighborhood called Inside Wade if you are young and single. It is very convenient to downtown and has a great pool to meet people. I am a younger guy myself and I have sold several of my friends townhouses and houses in that neighborhood. My second choice would be Glennwood North off Glennwood avenue.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:14 AM

924 posts, read 2,103,795 times
Hey, bwsj81,

Personally, I really like Renaissance Park, and if you're looking for something in a modern-style housing development, that could be an excellent choice. It is true that probably the plurality of the people living there are either older people or families with kids (but then again, that's also true of most if not all housing developments in Raleigh), but there are plenty of younger single people there, too. I've never lived there myself, but I've had friends who have lived there, and they've really enjoyed it and I've enjoyed visiting. It's true that there aren't a ton of conventional nightlife venues immediately adjacent to Renaissance Park, but there are some nice little restaurants, an Asian and a Hispanic grocery store, and plenty of big box retailers nearby. Moreover, the great thing about Renaissance Park is that it's extremely close and convenient to downtown Raleigh, with lots of nightlife and other amenities, and it's also right by I-40, by which you can quickly and easily get almost anywhere in the Triangle.

I agree with jlcozart that Inside Wade is also a nice development, with actually some of the same advantages as Renaissance Park, although it's a little further from downtown, but considerably closer to Cary, RTP, and the airport. From what I've seen, I believe it's also a little more expensive than Renaissance Park, or at least one's housing dollar doesn't go as far there, although there is quite a bit of variation within both communities, and both are certainly worth checking out.

Beyond the large, relatively new developments like Renaissance Park or Inside Wade, there are lots of great older, more established neighborhoods Inside the Beltline in Raleigh that could also be terrific places for someone in your situation. jlcozart mentioned some of the neighborhoods around Glenwood Avenue in Raleigh; there's a particularly popular nightlife and entertainment district called "Glenwood South" which is located in the area around Glenwood Avenue between about Hillsborough Street and Peace Street, and a lot of young, single people like living near there, although it's also gotten to be quite an expensive area. There are lots of other nice but less-trendy areas all around downtown Raleigh that can be equally good but a little more affordable. Fortunately, Raleigh has very few areas that are so "bad" that they need to be avoided altogether, so you have a lot of options.

Personally, if I were in your situation, I would probably not want to live in Brier Creek, because to me it's a bit too sleepy and boring and far from cultural activities and amenities. But to each their own, and if it suits your personality, then it may also be a good choice.

Do you know where you'll be working? It would make sense for that to be a major consideration in deciding where to live. The Triangle has enough good options for where to live throughout the region that it should be possible, and would presumably be desirable, to select something reasonably close to your workplace.

Just out of curiosity, do you really need/want 3-4 bedrooms and 2.5-3 bathrooms? It's a free country, and it's your business, of course, but that just seems a little surprising for a single 23-year-old guy. And you'd certainly have a lot more options at that price if you could accept a smaller place. But that's up to you.

Best of luck, and welcome to town!

Best
Personally, if I were inyour situation,

Last edited by tompope; 11-29-2012 at 10:24 AM..

Old 11-29-2012, 11:18 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
If I was 23, single and looking to be around young professional I would look to rent something close to downtown. Maybe over in Cameron Village or over in Oakwood or Mordecai. I'm not sure a 3-4 bedroom new construction home in a planned subdivision would be my first choice at that phase of life. You can pretty much count those kinds of neighborhoods being dominated by families. Which isn't a bad thing, but may not be your kind of scene as a 23 year old single guy.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:14 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
If I was 23, single and looking to be around young professional I would look to rent something close to downtown. Maybe over in Cameron Village or over in Oakwood or Mordecai. I'm not sure a 3-4 bedroom new construction home in a planned subdivision would be my first choice at that phase of life. You can pretty much count those kinds of neighborhoods being dominated by families. Which isn't a bad thing, but may not be your kind of scene as a 23 year old single guy.
I completely agree.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcozart View Post
I am a huge fan of a neighborhood called Inside Wade if you are young and single. It is very convenient to downtown and has a great pool to meet people. I am a younger guy myself and I have sold several of my friends townhouses and houses in that neighborhood. My second choice would be Glennwood North off Glennwood avenue.
Thanks for the suggestion. I took a look at Inside Wade, it seems a little pricier and further away from downtown Raliegh. I haven't seen much on Gleenwood North, but I will definitely look.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
Hey, bwsj81,

Personally, I really like Renaissance Park, and if you're looking for something in a modern-style housing development, that could be an excellent choice. It is true that probably the plurality of the people living there are either older people or families with kids (but then again, that's also true of most if not all housing developments in Raleigh), but there are plenty of younger single people there, too. I've never lived there myself, but I've had friends who have lived there, and they've really enjoyed it and I've enjoyed visiting. It's true that there aren't a ton of conventional nightlife venues immediately adjacent to Renaissance Park, but there are some nice little restaurants, an Asian and a Hispanic grocery store, and plenty of big box retailers nearby. Moreover, the great thing about Renaissance Park is that it's extremely close and convenient to downtown Raleigh, with lots of nightlife and other amenities, and it's also right by I-40, by which you can quickly and easily get almost anywhere in the Triangle.

I agree with jlcozart that Inside Wade is also a nice development, with actually some of the same advantages as Renaissance Park, although it's a little further from downtown, but considerably closer to Cary, RTP, and the airport. From what I've seen, I believe it's also a little more expensive than Renaissance Park, or at least one's housing dollar doesn't go as far there, although there is quite a bit of variation within both communities, and both are certainly worth checking out.

Beyond the large, relatively new developments like Renaissance Park or Inside Wade, there are lots of great older, more established neighborhoods Inside the Beltline in Raleigh that could also be terrific places for someone in your situation. jlcozart mentioned some of the neighborhoods around Glenwood Avenue in Raleigh; there's a particularly popular nightlife and entertainment district called "Glenwood South" which is located in the area around Glenwood Avenue between about Hillsborough Street and Peace Street, and a lot of young, single people like living near there, although it's also gotten to be quite an expensive area. There are lots of other nice but less-trendy areas all around downtown Raleigh that can be equally good but a little more affordable. Fortunately, Raleigh has very few areas that are so "bad" that they need to be avoided altogether, so you have a lot of options.

Personally, if I were in your situation, I would probably not want to live in Brier Creek, because to me it's a bit too sleepy and boring and far from cultural activities and amenities. But to each their own, and if it suits your personality, then it may also be a good choice.

Do you know where you'll be working? It would make sense for that to be a major consideration in deciding where to live. The Triangle has enough good options for where to live throughout the region that it should be possible, and would presumably be desirable, to select something reasonably close to your workplace.

Just out of curiosity, do you really need/want 3-4 bedrooms and 2.5-3 bathrooms? It's a free country, and it's your business, of course, but that just seems a little surprising for a single 23-year-old guy. And you'd certainly have a lot more options at that price if you could accept a smaller place. But that's up to you.

Best of luck, and welcome to town!

Best
Personally, if I were inyour situation,
Thank you for the detailed response. I definitely agree with you about Inside Wade and Renaissance Park. I'll definitely look around the Gleenwood South area. That sounds promising. Any recommendations about other communities downtown?

All I know right now, is that the office is located in downtown Raleigh, vague I know. But I'd definitely take that into consideration prior to making a final decision.

I don't necessarily need a 3/4 bedroom house, but I'd prefer it.

I also appreciate the other responses in this thread. But, I think with where I'm at now, and where I'd be when I get to Raleigh, I'd prefer to buy a house. The last 2 years, I've rented a place at about $1000 a month and it seems like a total waste of money. I really have no interest in renting or paying someone else's mortgage. I think the best option for me would be a place I would feel comfortable staying for a while, at least.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:34 PM

43 posts, read 85,879 times
It sounds like you are def more of a downtown person. There are tons of places to look downtown........a lot of them can be pricey though. There are still some pretty good deals in condos downtown right now. Think about if you are more interested in a house, townhouse or condo and how large it needs to be to make you happy. The downtown lifestyle can be lots of fun!

Old 11-29-2012, 06:43 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Renaissance Park is a great location for someone who wants to be close to downtown but not downtown!

Notice that there are smaller townhomes, larger townhomes, smaller houses, larger houses so there are all types of folks that live there. Two of my clients live there...one that is single and the other is a young married couple.

There is a road that is going to be moved so make sure you stay away from that. Otherwise, I like the area.

I'm not sure that Glenwood North would be a good option just because it isn't really "walking distance". Many n'hoods will have strip shopping centers or grocery stores that you can walk to but not lots of bars, etc.

You'll have options but you'll need to see the areas and understand what is available for you to make a good decision.

Vicki

Old 11-29-2012, 08:54 PM

924 posts, read 2,103,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsj81 View Post
Thank you for the detailed response. I definitely agree with you about Inside Wade and Renaissance Park. I'll definitely look around the Gleenwood South area. That sounds promising. Any recommendations about other communities downtown?

All I know right now, is that the office is located in downtown Raleigh, vague I know. But I'd definitely take that into consideration prior to making a final decision.

I don't necessarily need a 3/4 bedroom house, but I'd prefer it.

I also appreciate the other responses in this thread. But, I think with where I'm at now, and where I'd be when I get to Raleigh, I'd prefer to buy a house. The last 2 years, I've rented a place at about $1000 a month and it seems like a total waste of money. I really have no interest in renting or paying someone else's mortgage. I think the best option for me would be a place I would feel comfortable staying for a while, at least.
I think you'll have a tough time finding a 3-4 bedroom house in the Glenwood South area in your price range, but it certainly still is a buyers' market, so who knows. Maybe if you're patient and persistent it could happen, which would be great in terms of proximity to both work and nightlife. As I mentioned, there are a number of other areas "Inside the Beltline" that would fit your criteria, and some of them don't have well-established neighborhood names, so real estate listings may just say "Inside the Beltline" or "near Downtown" or something like that. One specific neighborhood that seems like maybe a good fit is the Woodcrest neighborhood, just northeast of downtown Raleigh. It's a nice, pleasant, quiet neighborhood that's a short drive, walk, bike ride, or bus ride from downtown Raleigh and entertainment areas. It's not at all fancy, and most houses there are fairly simple and basic, but that means that the home prices are relatively reasonable and your dollar goes pretty far there. It's one of the few areas close to downtown where I have consistently seen listings for decent 3 or 4 bedroom houses under $300K or $250K. Otherwise it's going to be mostly a matter of just looking around until you happen to come across just the right thing. Other nice neighborhoods reasonably close to downtown where I've occasionally seen houses that size for sale at that price include Georgetown, Hi-Mount, Forest Acres, Belvedere Park, Lockwood, Mordecai, Longview Gardens, Worthdale, Oakwood, Thompson-Hunter, Caraleigh, Boylan Heights, Forest Hills, Oberlin Village, and the general area known as "Five Points." Most of the houses in all of those neighborhoods are either smaller than you're looking for or more expensive than your stated price range, but there are at times homes listed in each of them that do fit your criteria, so well worth keeping an eye out for. For whatever it's worth, as an example, just a few weeks ago I remember seeing a listing for a house on Worth Street near the southeast corner of downtown Raleigh that interested me, but was a bit too big for me. I believe it was a 3-bedroom house, and I don't recall how many bathrooms, but it was a fairly new, modern house, so I'd imagine that it would have at least two. And I think it was listed for under $300K. I'm not necessarily advocating that specific house, but just using that as an example of the kind of house that you may be able to find in a suitable area, but may require you to look around and be diligent and a little lucky.

Good luck!

Last edited by tompope; 11-29-2012 at 09:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary