Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 02:33 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times

Advertisements

Here is my "concern" with basements...builders want to charge buyers to build it...maybe $30,000 for an unfinished basement.

When buyer sells, appraiser gives that same unfinished basement $10,000 value.

Funny thing is that appraisers used to give the finished bonus room over the garage less dollar per sq. footage many years ago. Today, if that room is finished same as rest of home, it is given same dollar per square footage as rest of house.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,402 times
Default Since I see you have experience in sunrooms

Hello, I would like to know: Recently I had installed a solarium sun room.
Now, I built a new porch (cement etc.) and on top of it I made a beautiful glass on top and sides.
The guy here in NYC, he's a known guy of glass factory, and he told me that he has lot of experience with Sun rooms and solarium and more, so he told me that the best way to do it is with tempered glass in the bottom of the roof (ceiling) and laminated glass on top (the one that more exposed to the sun), so it will be protected from breaking to sharp shards.
Now, the laminated glass which made out of to sided REGULAR (not tempered) glass, and in the middle there's a vinyl divider that makes it safety (Laminate).
I have 2 problems: 1st, the ceiling glass is breaking, and doesn't look like a safety/tempered glass crumble, and the 2nd, which I think is a result of the 1st problem, that as soon as the temperature goes up and the sun shines on the glass top, the room is melting, even though it has a air conditioner 3 days in a row.
Iv'e been checking it out with a data logger, and outside was 88, and inside was 101 degrees.
Can someone tell me where was the mistake?
Thanks.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:53 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
I have a screened in porch and everything people said is true. You get pollen, it rains in around the edges, you cannot use during the hot, hot humid weather and days in the winter, and you have to clean it often, but I love it. If you go that way, put in some paddle fans and skylights because the room in your house next to the porch will be darkened if you don't have skylights.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:42 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datmc2000 View Post
Hello, I would like to know: Recently I had installed a solarium sun room.
Now, I built a new porch (cement etc.) and on top of it I made a beautiful glass on top and sides.
The guy here in NYC, he's a known guy of glass factory, and he told me that he has lot of experience with Sun rooms and solarium and more, so he told me that the best way to do it is with tempered glass in the bottom of the roof (ceiling) and laminated glass on top (the one that more exposed to the sun), so it will be protected from breaking to sharp shards.
Now, the laminated glass which made out of to sided REGULAR (not tempered) glass, and in the middle there's a vinyl divider that makes it safety (Laminate).
I have 2 problems: 1st, the ceiling glass is breaking, and doesn't look like a safety/tempered glass crumble, and the 2nd, which I think is a result of the 1st problem, that as soon as the temperature goes up and the sun shines on the glass top, the room is melting, even though it has a air conditioner 3 days in a row.
Iv'e been checking it out with a data logger, and outside was 88, and inside was 101 degrees.
Can someone tell me where was the mistake?
Thanks.
I'm a little confused about which glass is where and why it's breaking. Too hot? 101 degrees hardly seems hot enough to break glass. What do the broken pieces look like?

Old 10-18-2013, 05:53 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
This concern would be better addressed in House Forum. Has nothing to do with Triangle area of North Carolina.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:59 PM

211 posts, read 301,939 times
We got a screened porch when we built our home in 2003/04 and I would never swap it for a sun room (though I would like a sun room as well!). There's maybe a couple of months tops when it's too cold to use, but even then we like to take a small space heater outside and some scotch makes up for the rest Do install a fan - you'll get use out of it way, way more than you think. My backyard looks out into trees (we left the last 3rd of the lot un-developed for the privacy and view), so I can't describe just how amazing it is sitting in your screened porch drinking lemonade or ice-tea and watching and listening to birds, rabbits, squirrels and so on. There used to be deer a few years back, but with the construction boom they're no longer to be seen

Old 10-19-2013, 07:25 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Here is my "concern" with basements...builders want to charge buyers to build it...maybe $30,000 for an unfinished basement.

When buyer sells, appraiser gives that same unfinished basement $10,000 value.

Funny thing is that appraisers used to give the finished bonus room over the garage less dollar per sq. footage many years ago. Today, if that room is finished same as rest of home, it is given same dollar per square footage as rest of house.

Vicki
North Carolina allows "heated floor space" to count as gross living area. One of the few states that does not distinguish between above and below grade living space. So if you finish your basement for $30 a sq. ft. you can advertise that space as total square feet when you sell your house. Common practice in the mountains where many houses have daylight basements, excuse me living space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary