Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 07:24 PM

10 posts, read 28,701 times

Advertisements

I am new to the area and live in a small neighborhood with hardly any children. I want to take my son trick or treating this year for the first time. Any advice on where to go... but not the mall. I've read some churches do trunk or treat--does anyone know any good ones and do you have to be members. Also can you go to a different neighborhood and if so where due you park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 07:31 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2makealivin View Post
I am new to the area and live in a small neighborhood with hardly any children. I want to take my son trick or treating this year for the first time. Any advice on where to go... but not the mall. I've read some churches do trunk or treat--does anyone know any good ones and do you have to be members. Also can you go to a different neighborhood and if so where due you park?
You may want to avoid the churches....they use it to gain members/converts and preach the 'evils' of halloween....it's not really about the kids having fun.

We've just always done in the neighborhood....there is no one near you?

Old 10-21-2007, 07:34 PM

10 posts, read 28,701 times
I spoke with the neighboors who have kids and they all go to other neighborhoods of friends--houses closer together more children etc.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:55 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2makealivin View Post
I spoke with the neighboors who have kids and they all go to other neighborhoods of friends--houses closer together more children etc.
Well....where do your friends live?

Old 10-22-2007, 12:08 PM

58 posts, read 360,769 times
We are in the same boat! We just recently moved here from Northern California, and don't really have any "friends." We also don't have any neighbors at the moment.

We have four kids, so we have to do something. We might park at the elementary school and walk into a nearby neighborhood for trick-or-treating. Also, Durant Nature Park (off of Capital Blvd) has an event of some sort going on. That might be fun for a "first" outing. We are all about filling the goody bag in this household, though, so we'll be ringing doorbells!

Old 10-22-2007, 12:15 PM

836 posts, read 3,470,171 times
Quote:
You may want to avoid the churches....they use it to gain members/converts and preach the 'evils' of halloween....it's not really about the kids having fun.
Uh, that is a little bit of a overgeneralization isn't it? I know most churches that do it, do it to provide thier members kids and neighborhood kids with an alternative, not to proseletize. Maybe a few churches do, but I would think very few. As a member of a cooperative Baptist church (not a member of the Southern Baptist convention, fyi) I am really starting to be offended by the assumptions on this site that every church in the South is made up of bible thumping, snake handling, crazy people who want to convert everyone, take over the schools, whatever. There are TONS of churches, even Baptist ones, in this area, made up of people who's kids go out for Halloween, dance, are open minded and, in many cases, liberal. This constant bad-mouthing of anyone that is involved in a church on this site is getting offensive and annoying.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:37 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
Go to teh historical section of WF, up past the seminary- it is packed with people. Drive there & park on the street. The people decorate like mad & dress up. It is spooky & lots of fun. We are settled in our new home & will trick or treat here... after we go up there!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:11 AM

311 posts, read 887,919 times
Default Halloween/Fall festivals around WF

Here's a few things on this weekend for Halloween:

(some info taken from "The Week Ahead" email from Bill Crabtree)

Halloween Spooktacular
Thursday, October 25; 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Flaherty Park Community Center
Kids ages 12 and younger are invited to a ghoulish good time! A variety of ghostly games and activities will be offered. Costumes are optional but a prize for "best costume" will be awarded. Free pumpkins will be given away while supplies last! For more information, call (919) 554-6180.

Spooktacular at The Factory
October 26
The third annual Factory Spooktacular will be held on Friday, October 26th. There will be a lot of great activities for the kids, such as trick or treating, magic shows, ice shows, and much more. Don't miss it!!!...

SPOOKTACULAR EVENTS
October 26th
5pm-9pm

Trick or Treat throughout the Factory
5-9

FREE PHOTO by Three Oaks Photography
5-9
(In front across from Silly Goose)

4:30 - 5:30 ICE SHOW in Factory ICE House
5-8p Exotic Pet Show across from Soccer field
5-8p Jumpin Beans $3.00 to jump
5-9p Pumpkin Carving Contest outside by Carvel
6-7p THE THREE LITTLE PIGS – presented by Kaleidoscope theater
Inside the Mill Room
7-8p MAGIC SHOW inside the Mill Room
The Factory - Eat, Shop, Play (http://www.eatshopplay.com/whatsup.php - broken link)

Wake Forest Farmers' Market - Trick or Treat at the Market
Saturday, October 27; 8:00 a.m. - Noon
Downtown Wake Forest - Municipal Parking Lot
Wear your costumes and enjoy hot cider and special Farmers' Market treats on the last day of the market season! The market offers fresh produce, pasture-raised beef, poultry and pork, free-range eggs, fresh and dried herbs, honey, jams and preserves, plus a whole lot more. For more information, contact Terry Wilkinson at (919) 556-1579.

Trunk or Treat
Wednesday, October 31; 5:30 p.m.
Wake Forest Baptist Church
What’s a church to do when Halloween falls on Wednesday? Celebrate! What better time for the church to be a presence in our community than on All Hallows’ Eve amongst all the ghosts, ghouls, goblins, and other creatively dressed creatures strolling about seeking goodies? Here’s our plan: On October 31 we will meet at the church as usual for our fellowship supper at 5:30 pm. Feel free to spice it up a bit and wear your costume! We will celebrate birthdays and pray together as always, then head out to North Main Street as a church family for Trunk-Or-Treat. We will set up at the north end of the Wake Forest Birthplace where we will have 10-12 cars in place with open trunks full of candy to distribute. Our Youth On Mission will have a receptacle in place to receive canned goods for their Trick-Or-Can project, and we are encouraging all to bring a can of food for our community food bank in exchange for a handful of candy. This is a wonderful opportunity for us to have intergenerational fun and fellowship together, and an even greater opportunity for us to provide a presence in our community and reach out to our neighbors. Mark your calendars, get out of the boat, and by all means . . . bring your can to Trunk-Or-Treat! Hey, kids, be sure to have your parents bring you out to Trunk-Or-Treat on October 31. All you have to do is dress up in your Halloween costume and bring cans for candy—that is, bring a can of food to our site on North Main Street (think of it as CAN-dy Land) for a Halloween treat. We’ll be waiting for you!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:55 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Mommy View Post
We are in the same boat! We just recently moved here from Northern California, and don't really have any "friends." We also don't have any neighbors at the moment.

We have four kids, so we have to do something. We might park at the elementary school and walk into a nearby neighborhood for trick-or-treating. Also, Durant Nature Park (off of Capital Blvd) has an event of some sort going on. That might be fun for a "first" outing. We are all about filling the goody bag in this household, though, so we'll be ringing doorbells!
Kathy is that you????? You guys can come to my neighborhood!!!!! Honestly, last year our neighborhood was not quite so full so we went to my sister's neighborhood, olde mill stream, and it was nice because the houses are relatively close together, and the neighborhood is big enough.

Leigh

Old 10-25-2007, 06:18 PM

58 posts, read 360,769 times
Default What a small world!

It is me!! I'll get in touch with you off the board
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary