Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 05:28 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjeff View Post
Did your wife explain to the officer that she pays his salary? And did he still give her a ticket? Whenever I mention that to an officer they always admit that they'd never thought of it that way and let me go on my way.
It's true This is a well-known secret amongst the savvy lawbreakers in Wake Co. But the full-effect is only gotten if you flail your arms, look enraged, tear up the ticket while saying this. And then, for full effect, eat the ticket. Tell 'em they can't charge you if you've eaten the ticket I saw someone doing this, I thought it was brilliant! The cop will never remember that they have a duplicate in their book...you know what public servants are like....

Old 02-12-2013, 05:39 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
We both learned to drive in another state and honestly neither one of us have ever heard that you have to move over by law. And I think that officers who write tickets to people who are not in violation of the law are "bad cops" and should be dealt with.

She has gone to driving classes to get a speeding ticket reduced before so I guess thats an option - but that would result in us paying court costs and the costs for the class when IMO she wasn't in violation of the law in the first place.
Ok, I just read this after posting my other posts. Now it's not funny anymore. Not knowing the law isn't an excuse for not following it. Can you not understand that your wife was in violation and not the cop? We have had many people (workers, etc) killed here on the side of highways because of this issues...people not moving over. So your wife has been to driving class....if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it must be a .....I'll bet she was speeding and scared the life out of the cop. No way would he have gone after her if she had slowed down to a safe speed.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:47 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I wonder if the driving school thing is county by county. I've never heard of it in Wake or any of the other couple places I've gotten tickets down east. Interesting.
I think it's a fairly new thing. When I got a speeding ticket in the late 90s in Wake it wasn't an option. But back then they would reduce tickets like it was nothing.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:46 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
People need to remember - police are like fishermen - they just throw nets and bring in all they can catch and don't particularly care about what they get. Its the judges that decide if the catch is worth the market or gets tossed out, so to speak.

Most fish that get caught accept their fate, but every once in a while, you'll see one fight and flop its way back into the water.

Last edited by Sayantsi; 02-12-2013 at 07:55 AM..

Old 02-12-2013, 07:53 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Fortunately a ticket is extremely easy to avoid.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:58 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Are you serious?! Complain about the cop doing his/her job? Know not to mess with you, really?
That was some saucy sarcasm from a SaucyAussie.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:07 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
They are public servants, and by not moving over or slowing down to around 20 mph, she put that officers life in danger, and the ticket is well deserved.
In my area if everyone did just that there would be many people in extreme danger from cars slowing down and sudden lane changes from the right lanes into the faster left lanes. It is really up to the driver in how slow is appropriate given the traffic and what large vehicles that may be near, and whether a lane change is can be executed safely. How does one prove this in court?

Old 02-12-2013, 08:12 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,588 times
Something tells me OP quit reading when he realized we weren't on "his" side.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmquiroz View Post
Sounds like someone needs to go back to drivers ed.

In 2000, the US Dept of Transportation and Federal Highway Administration began to address the issue of Emergency Scene Safety, and issued recommended changes for the new MUTCD (Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices) that finally addressed the need for improved standards and protection for Emergency Workers. With the further assistance of public interest groups such as the Emergency Responder Safety Institute (Emergency, Responders, Safety, National Unified Goal for Traffic Incident Management, NUG), "Move Over Laws" became standard across the US and Canada

On October 1, 2012 North Carolina's newly revised "move over law", was expanded include utility and maintenance operations, went into effect.

So might want to remind your wife..all those construction workers..yeah she has to slow down and pull over for too......Its the law.

Doesn't matter what state you came from..your in THIS state now..learn your laws.NCDOT: Road Rules
Just a reminder of the law that the officer was enforcing.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
In my area if everyone did just that there would be many people in extreme danger from cars slowing down and sudden lane changes from the right lanes into the faster left lanes. It is really up to the driver in how slow is appropriate given the traffic and what large vehicles that may be near, and whether a lane change is can be executed safely. How does one prove this in court?
It's not just your area in which this law causes problems. It's everywhere. The problem is people don't allow enough following distance. If they did the problem wouldn't exist. So it's not the law putting people in extreme danger. It's the people themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary