Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:52 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

If you don't mind doing some work, why not look at some of the older neighborhoods - like around downtown Cary - you'll a bigger yard and some nice mature trees. The houses and neighborhoods look more like what you're used to up north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 09:58 AM

460 posts, read 1,017,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If you don't mind doing some work, why not look at some of the older neighborhoods - like around downtown Cary - you'll a bigger yard and some nice mature trees. The houses and neighborhoods look more like what you're used to up north.

I'm open to that! Do you know the names of any of the older neighborhoods that you are thinking of?

Are they like old neighborhoods that all the houses look old and run down? Or a good mixed neighborhood that has different shapes and sizes, updated and not updated?

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2013, 10:33 AM

I don't think they look rundown. Ya know, not like there are cars up on blocks and stuff. Probably just houses that don't have granite kitchens and tumbled marble baths, KWIM? I'm not sure of names - maybe Pirates Cove and Tanglewood if you search those you can get some ideas of the area and surrounding roads.

THe only thing you might not like with an older 'hood is that there may not be a neighborhood pool.

I'm pretty sure you won't have any trouble finding something you like

Old 02-27-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I don't think they look rundown. Ya know, not like there are cars up on blocks and stuff. Probably just houses that don't have granite kitchens and tumbled marble baths, KWIM? I'm not sure of names - maybe Pirates Cove and Tanglewood if you search those you can get some ideas of the area and surrounding roads.

THe only thing you might not like with an older 'hood is that there may not be a neighborhood pool.

I'm pretty sure you won't have any trouble finding something you like
Thanks! Yeah a pool would be nice.. but isn't a requirement. We just want to weigh all of our options and find the best fit, and know which communities to keep looking in.

Thanks I will check them out! Can't wait to actually be in town and get to drive through! I'm so tired of looking everything up on the internet haha... but I will admit it is helpful to be able to do this research before hand.

Side note: what does KWIM mean? lol

Old 02-27-2013, 11:16 AM

200 posts, read 358,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
You could live off of Electra, in the low end of your range, fit all the criteria and just about WALK to work....

Also, Just accross Trenton or Trinity, I think, there is a newer Neighborhood that matches criteria. (Much nicer Neighborhood, and I'm guessing closer to the top of your range.)
The area Myghost mentioned is one you should definitely check into! We live in Medfield Estates on 1+ acres and love it! You can also access the SAS campus from Trenton Road right around the corner from here. This neighborhood is family friendly with a pool and has wonderful access to all points in the Triangle. Most of the homes were built in the 80's with solid construction and are now being scooped up by buyers when the homes are available. Some might need a little paint and updating, but they are totally worth it!

Good luck in your search!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:20 PM

Cool thanks! I'll check it out!

Can anyone also give me some insight on a rough times table for rush our traffic you all might use around there?

Like up here in the D.C. area - as a general rule of thumb, if there it generally takes 30 minutes to get from point A to point B... you can easily double that when planning travel during rush hour. and that is if there are no accidents or major issues.....

Should I estimate double time during rush hour in the raleigh area? or maybe add another quarter on?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:01 PM

KWIM = Know what I mean?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftyforlife View Post
The area Myghost mentioned is one you should definitely check into! We live in Medfield Estates on 1+ acres and love it! You can also access the SAS campus from Trenton Road right around the corner from here. This neighborhood is family friendly with a pool and has wonderful access to all points in the Triangle. Most of the homes were built in the 80's with solid construction and are now being scooped up by buyers when the homes are available. Some might need a little paint and updating, but they are totally worth it!

Good luck in your search!
That was the other area I was thinking of.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:12 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
Cool thanks! I'll check it out!

Can anyone also give me some insight on a rough times table for rush our traffic you all might use around there?

Like up here in the D.C. area - as a general rule of thumb, if there it generally takes 30 minutes to get from point A to point B... you can easily double that when planning travel during rush hour. and that is if there are no accidents or major issues.....

Should I estimate double time during rush hour in the raleigh area? or maybe add another quarter on?
Don't bother with traffic. Live near SAS.

There's my advice. It's solid, I assure you. Too many great houses less than 10 miles from SAS campus to be moving all over the place.

Advantage: near airport, near I-40, near RTP. Trust.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:23 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Don't bother with traffic. Live near SAS.

There's my advice. It's solid, I assure you. Too many great houses less than 10 miles from SAS campus to be moving all over the place.

Advantage: near airport, near I-40, near RTP. Trust.
Right.

Silverton.
Silver Oaks
Silver Creek
Northwoods
Medfield Estates
And a dozen others right down through the Heart of Cary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary