Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 03:43 PM

460 posts, read 1,018,310 times

Advertisements

Hey all! It's been a little while.... I thought my dreams were dashed for a while, and then out of no where I finally got my job offer! We are moving to the Raleigh area!!!! woohoo!!!!

I'll be down next week, while my husband stays behind to sell the house and follow soon after. I am excited to officially start scoping out some of the communities we will keep a watchful eye on over the next several months to see if the house we want become available in the community we want.

What Neighborhoods should I go visit?

-We would really like to be withing a 30 or 40 (max) minute drive to SAS Campus Drive.
-We really would like to live in a community with culdesac's available
-Newer or older isn't really a preference
-We would enjoy some community amenities, but that isn't a requirement
-Really want family friendly, good place to start a family, around "good schools" but pretty much and schools down there are goingt to be better than what we are coming from.
- Our house price range is going to be anywhere between $175k and $300k or so. And we MUST have a 2 car garage - so I know I have seen some neighborhoods that really don't have any garage's.
- Dinky yards are a NO. We prefer a minimum of .25 acre - but will consider a little less if backyard is most of the yard. Of course we prefer larger lots if possible.

Just as an FYI - I have been looking some in North Raleigh, Southern Cary, Apex, Northern Holly Springs, and somewhat North Easy Raleigh heading towards Wake Forest area.

Suggestions please!? :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 04:30 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
1. prioritize that list.
2. you're not going to be in Holly Springs and get to SAS in 30 minutes. You can be other places and half the HS commute that are just as nice, except the house won't be newer.
3. work on the price range. $175-300K is way too wide. $175K isn't going to get you a lot, except a lot of confusion, wondering why those house are so much cheaper than the similar sized $300K homes.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:48 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Pearson Farms in Apex
Dogwood Ridge in Apex
Park Village in Cary
Devereaux in Cary

All at the higher end of your price range, which I agree with Bo, is strangely large. If you can afford (and like what's available at) $300K, you're probably not going to find comparable at $175K.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
I don't think you'll find much house for $175,000 with .25 acre in the areas you'd like to be in.

I do think you'll find all that for between $250,000 and $300,000.

Harrington Grove and Dominion Park in North Raleigh come to mind. Holly Glen in Holly Springs. Not sure if you can make it to SAS within 30 min. but the new section of 540 is open and that would help.

West Cary/Morrisville is going to have smaller lots, in general.

I would say there are probably about 75 n'hoods that meet your criteria.

Vicki

Old 02-26-2013, 09:51 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Pearson Farms in Apex
Dogwood Ridge in Apex
Park Village in Cary
Devereaux in Cary

All at the higher end of your price range, which I agree with Bo, is strangely large. If you can afford (and like what's available at) $300K, you're probably not going to find comparable at $175K.
I'll add Silverton, Oxxford Hunt, and MacArthur Park. All in Cary. All very close to SAS.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:20 PM

7,149 posts, read 4,745,406 times
If you want cul-de-sacs, garages, large lots, and a drive to SAS that's less than 35-40 minutes, then your answer is: Stonehenge!
best,
toodie

Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,106,610 times
Have you considered Durham? There are some good options in your price range there, too. I can get to SAS in less than 30 minutes from my place in NW Durham in rush hour traffic.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 AM

11,223 posts, read 8,310,427 times
You could live off of Electra, in the low end of your range, fit all the criteria and just about WALK to work....

Also, Just accross Trenton or Trinity, I think, there is a newer Neighborhood that matches criteria. (Much nicer Neighborhood, and I'm guessing closer to the top of your range.)

Old 02-27-2013, 09:47 AM

Thanks all!

I guess the reason my price range is so wide - is because my husband and I actually enjoy some fixer up work, especially now while we have the time and money (before children). So if we found a kind of not in the greatest shape house at the lower end, with great bones and location - we'd spend some money and time making it how we want it.

We want this to be our long time home to raise a family in - so I know what my priorities are in the home itself.

My question really are for the neighborhoods that could fall into the criteria listed - so that I can do more research on them, more detailed research and find out if they would fit or not.

I think the atmosphere of a community is probably going to be one of the most important things to me, but of course I won't be able to sense that until I can actually visit in the next month or two. So I'm narrowing down and creating a little list that I can focus on.

Thanks so much for the suggestions that have been given!!! I'm excited to look them up :-)

Any particular neighborhoods that tend to "pop-up" all the time (in searched and conversations) that based on my criteria I probably shouldn't waste my time with?

Old 02-27-2013, 09:52 AM

I have considered Durham, my sister works there. But aren't the schools worse than in the Raleigh area? Or is that a misconception?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary