Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:01 AM

130 posts, read 503,534 times

Advertisements

Myghost - I agree that we are probably all saying the same thing. I was just venting a little as I hate it when the blame is put on the schools/teachers for asking for money/etc. You can only play the hand you are dealt. Unfortunately our lawmakers are not dealing them a very fair hand just as you state above.

Last edited by Riley14; 03-05-2013 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 AM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,143,627 times
I have always had issues with 'fundraisers" that teaches kids to panhandle for money.

Now I wish they'd offer entrepreneur lesson's more then........go beg to your neighbors, and your parents co workers for cash. I once had a 'falling out' with a girl scout mother who sent her 2 unattended 7 and 8 year old little girl's ;house to house trying to sell GS cookies. She got an ear full about taking responsibility keeping those kids safe..and sending them alone to strangers house's door to door was NOT how to do it. I have never liked solicitors..even candy pushers with pig tails.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
I'd be happy if they banned fundraisers, period.

Sick of paying my share of taxes, sending my kid to school with a laundry list of supplies, notes sent home from teachers that supplies are running low, and then fundraisers on top of it.
Ugh - me too. I actually like our school's fundraiser - they have a walk a thon in the fall, ask each child to raise $35. Basically I write a check for $35 per kid (now I only have one in elementary - yay). That's fine with me! Other fundraisers are things that you'd want to do anyway, like Book Fair and Art by Me. Also, I collect BoxTops and Labels for education. You can get quite a bit of money that way.

I don't mind sending in supplies to the teachers - grab something off the wish list, it's no big deal.

We have not been hit with candy sales. I think of stuff being more related to sports teams and clubs.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:09 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
I think Sanderson used to have a "no fuss" fundraiser where you just donated cash. I liked that one!

On the other hand, I think fundraisers have some lessons for kids...it teaches them a bit about speaking with adults, it teaches them that school isn't free, it teaches them safety, it gives them a sense of competition, etc. I don't think it is a terrible thing and again, I like the chocolate, the coupon books, hate the magazines!

As to giving tissues, etc. at the beginning of the year, I must admit, after 4 kids, I just accepted it as the norm!

For those so against fundraisers...don't even get me started on Halloween...sending our kids door to door to BEG for candy just doesn't appeal to ME!!!

Vicki

Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I think Sanderson used to have a "no fuss" fundraiser where you just donated cash. I liked that one!

On the other hand, I think fundraisers have some lessons for kids...it teaches them a bit about speaking with adults, it teaches them that school isn't free, it teaches them safety, it gives them a sense of competition, etc. I don't think it is a terrible thing and again, I like the chocolate, the coupon books, hate the magazines!

As to giving tissues, etc. at the beginning of the year, I must admit, after 4 kids, I just accepted it as the norm!

For those so against fundraisers...don't even get me started on Halloween...sending our kids door to door to BEG for candy just doesn't appeal to ME!!!

Vicki
I'm with you Vicki. When they sell to me, I think the interaction and lessons are good. I make them tell me the whole story, what are the best cookies, how many am I allowed to buy, when do I pay them, etc, etc. I find it great fun.
When I pick up a couple of boxes of GS Cookies in front of the store, I tell the parents to pipe down. "I'm here for GIRL Scout Cookies, NOT Mom and Dad Cookies."

I buy popcorn, candy, 50/50 tix, etc from any 8 year old who will ring the doorbell.
But, I just can't buy magazines any more, and it hurts to see that kid not getting any sales.

OTOH, again, kidless here, we LOVE Halloween. $20-$30 worth of candy, with leftovers!

Old 03-05-2013, 08:28 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I buy popcorn, candy, 50/50 tix, etc from any 8 year old who will ring the doorbell. But, I just can't buy magazines any more, and it hurts to see that kid not getting any sales.
I'm with Mike. If the kids come to my door, I'll buy what they are selling and support their activity. Except magazines - the only thing I say no to.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:29 AM

149 posts, read 206,856 times
Also, I think that one appeal of candy fundraisers is that it's an easy way to support the school for those on a strict budget.

While some of the alternative fundraisers here sound great, the price tag is difficult for those families who pinch pennies because of their current economic situation. Many families are living on very tight budgets in Wake County. (Indeed, nationwide.) Shelling out $25 or $35 for some charity event or fundraising product is too steep for them. However, paying a buck or two for an over-priced confectionery is often do-able.

What other one- or two-buck fundraisers are even possible for many schools?

EDIT .... I did a quickie Google (yes, befriending it is a good idea), and found this:

http://voices.yahoo.com/unique-cheap...s-3802002.html

Err ... I'm not sure if some teachers want kids to guess their age. And that jellybean one seems pretty meh ... and wait ... there's candy involved! Usually, the winner gets the candy. I guess you can have a "guess how many dried beans" contest, but I'm not so sure the kids would be too enthused about paying to get the prize.

As for the flowers, I did shell out money for those fundraisers when the kids were in school. (Forgot about those in my previous post. Oops.) Most flower events became popularity contests ... if you didn't get one (particularly if you were a girl), you were obviously NOT popular. And the flowers were usually of pretty poor quality. I remember one bunch of carnations had these lovely black splotches on them. But it is a non-food alternative.

Last edited by gazania; 03-05-2013 at 08:57 AM..

Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,116,132 times
Dang I totally wish they'd bring back thosexchovolate bars they used to sell for wcpss band programs in the 80's! They were awesome! I don't care about fundraisers, most of the money is going towards supplementary programs for individual schools. Just say no if you don't want to buy anything!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:22 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Dang I totally wish they'd bring back thosexchovolate bars they used to sell for wcpss band programs in the 80's! They were awesome! I don't care about fundraisers, most of the money is going towards supplementary programs for individual schools. Just say no if you don't want to buy anything!
There ya go...another teachable lesson...a lesson for the adults...just say NO!

If you, the parent, can't say no, how are you going to teach your children to say no?!!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:24 AM

105 posts, read 362,297 times
Fundraisers: Yes they do tell the children some good things that has been stated, Yes it can bring some much needed money ,I do wish it was always used for thing that we are told it is going to. But as I know many time whan the money come in the group will change the way the money goes( 20+ yr working in the school. PTA/PTO ) I like when you know it going to like a trip and then you see it happen .I been in some school were you just write a check. I been in a few school that do the reading/walk events etc But the real reason is why .We should all paid taxes and they should get to the things is need but never happens, Parent should send in supplies Most do but a lot do not !! NO EXCUSES (If you have children you have to put them first and get the needed supplies!!!) I know from the teacher view it is Hard when they need things and no money , But yet the system spent it on dumb things . As we know happens, As for selling candy !! Thank to Ms Ob it to the point you can not send your child lunch in with have to proof it healthy I am the Parent I will give MY child what I want them t eat Get out of my home. You can always just say no thank you !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary