Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:28 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Dang I totally wish they'd bring back thosexchovolate bars they used to sell for wcpss band programs in the 80's! They were awesome! I don't care about fundraisers, most of the money is going towards supplementary programs for individual schools. Just say no if you don't want to buy anything!
Oh. I loved band candy back then.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:51 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Dang I totally wish they'd bring back thosexchovolate bars they used to sell for wcpss band programs in the 80's! They were awesome! I don't care about fundraisers, most of the money is going towards supplementary programs for individual schools. Just say no if you don't want to buy anything!
sex chocolate bars, do tell lamishra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 11:57 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,478,752 times
All schools should have a community garden. 1) it would keep a salad bar stocked in the cafeteria and 2) kids old enough to do basic math could learn the business principles to run a farmers market. 3) people could buy something they were already going to buy anyway and the proceeds would benefit the school.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:19 PM

464 posts, read 1,044,330 times
Another childless household here. I would not mind fundraisers if the actual children were doing the selling, rather then the parents who drag all of these fundraising sheets and catalogs to work trying to guilt coworkers into buying.

We buy girl scout cookies every year from family members who make the pitch personally to us, but please parents, leave the catalogs at home and let your kids actually do something for a change instead of doing everything for them.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:26 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I hate fundraisers, too.

I'd rather they send me a letter asking for cash for X cause. LOL.
This this this. I'm much more likely cut a check to the school directly than but some crap I don't need knowing the school only gets a small cut of the sale.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:46 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times
When my son went to Washington GT Magnet years ago, it was decided to eliminate the crap and just ask for cash contributions.

Worked well and all proceeds went to good use, not mostly to a vendor of whatever was being pushed on parents.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:50 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,302 times
When I was attending Lynn Road my parents asked the school if they could write a check instead of buying wrapping paper. The school said no. My parents told me not to worry about participating in the fundraisers after that.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:53 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,797,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
When I was attending Lynn Road my parents asked the school if they could write a check instead of buying wrapping paper. The school said no. My parents told me not to worry about participating in the fundraisers after that.
At our old school they had an "opt out of fundraisers" option for parents who didn't want to be bothered and preferred to make a cash donation instead. Quite a few people took that option!

Old 03-05-2013, 06:06 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,676 times
I thought this was as not to promote "junk food" yet I have students daily that are allowed to buy ice cream, cookies, and chips for lunch FROM The elementary cafeteria! It blows my mind (we didnt have that where I came from) and then the kids dont eat their free hot lunch paid for w/ tax dollars, but they eat three packaged snacks/day! Today's breakfast was pizza or a cinnamon bun! The kids selling are not the ones eating most of the junk they sell. If we want to worry about kids & junk food, don't have it available for them to purchase in mass quantities daily.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:15 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Seems an advisory group wants to ban the sale of candy and other food deemed "unhealthy" in school fundraisers, booster group sales, and athletic event concessions.

Group wants to end sale of candy, cookies at Wake school fundraisers | Education | NewsObserver.com

Right, because selling lettuce, celery and tomatoes door to door or at football games will make a lot more money. This advisory council can let actual adults decide for ourselves what we want to buy to support the schools. What a bunch of control freaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary