Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 7,927 times

Advertisements

Hello We are new to the area.We are looking to purchase a home with in the next 2 weeks. We like both Scotts Mill in Apex and Sunset Oaks/Ridge in Holly Springs. We are members of Lifetime Fitness and go to the Cary location about 5 days a week. We homeschool so we want to live close enough to activities we can do as family or individual. Does anyone have any info on homeschool groups or science programs. I was also wondering what is with in walking distance in either neighborhood and if there are greenways or future greenways. Thanks in advance for any information about these neighborhoods and their surrounding area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 03:05 PM

513 posts, read 1,605,504 times
Scotts Mill is great. Convenient to everything including the new 540. It just depends on what parts of the triangle you need to access. Sunset Ridge is nice as well but its way out there IMHO.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:24 PM

43 posts, read 127,499 times
We live in Sunset Oaks. I know of another family a few blocks away who homeschool, but I'm otherwise unaware of any groups in the area.
Walking anywhere outside of the development is a risky endeavor, as there are no sidewalks and traffic whips on by on Optimist Farm, but Middle Creek School Park is not too far away, and many families here avail themselves of the park and fields. As a family we drive to Cary, Apex, Fuquay, and into HS to do things all the time.
If you decide to live here, you have to realize that other than what's in the Sunset Lake Commons (Harris Teeter and a bunch of pretty handy shops and services), you are going to have to drive 10-30 minutes to get anywhere. It'll take you 20 minutes to get up to Regency Park via Kildaire. Since we are at the end of HS (the Apex line is literally at the entrance to Sunset Oaks), even the new shops off of the 55 bypass require some driving.
That said, we love it here. There are a ton of families, lots of kids running around, and pretty good neighborhood interaction. The houses are nice, construction of new houses is winding down, and in the warm months, the pool is great (it costs extra). Our neighborhood is a nice hub of activity in the neighborhood, but if you're looking for a neighborhood that serves as a central hub of activities out in the community, especially if you would like to walk there, Sunset Oaks may not be your ideal choice.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 7,927 times
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking Holly Springs may be a little too far out for our family but it's such a nice neighborhood ! I was hoping there was a greenway in the neighborhood. Any further info as far as walking distance from Scotts Mill or more info on either area etc...

Old 03-05-2013, 04:28 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
There are a lot of people who homeschool around here. You shouldn't have any trouble hooking up with a group. Town of Cary offers classes for homeschooled kids thru their parks and rec, check if Apex does as well.

Scott's Mill is probably a better location if you go to Lifetime Fitness every day.

Good luck with your move.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:37 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,657 times
I have a brother in Sunset Oaks and a stepbrother in Scott's Mill so i am pretty familiar with both choices. Location aside, the two choices really are not comparable.
I suppose there are some of the cottage homes in Sunset Oaks that might compare to some of Scotts Mill's
offerings but they are really more different than they are alike.
Most of the homes in Scott's Mill were completed before they broke ground in Sunset Oaks. That makes those homes 5 to 7 years closer to larger maintenance items (HVAC being the most significant).
Recreationally there is no contest-Sunset Ridge/Oaks wins hands down. This is not to say that Scott's Mill has poor offerings, but again there is no real comparison.
Scott's Mill is more convenient to more things, but the notion that Sunset Ridge/Oaks are "in the middle of nowhere" is really inaccurate. The extension of 540 benefitted Holly Springs more than it did Apex, IMO, and Sunset Ridge/Oaks are very well placed geographically for more upside potential when 540 moves East from the current terminus. They will be close enough to really improve connectivity to the entire Triangle but far enough away to avoid direct impact, something that cannot be said for any Apex neighborhood along the now-existing 540 corridor.
As far as Lifetime fitness is concerned, the Regency Park location is not exactly easy to get to from Scott's Mill-no direct route that I can think of.
64 is tough in both directions at different times of day
Apex Peakway to Olive Chapel to Hunter Street to Old Raleigh Road to 64 is a pokey drive only compounded by school traffic and the occasional freight train
South on 55 to US1 North takes you out of the way
Ten-Ten to US1 North is no bargain either
Sunset Oaks, on the other hand, is an easy drive to or from Regency Park. Come out of the neighborhood and take Pierce Olive, Cross Holly Springs to Arthur Pierce, Right on Kildaire Farm, Left on Penny, Right on Ederlee, and you are there. This route is my daily commute (I live East of Sunset Oaks), and I would rather make that drive at any hour than take any logical route from Scott's Mill to Regency Park.
Sunset Ridge is not a bad drive if you can come out of the neighborhood North of the school traffic on Holly Springs Road. Just head up to Kildaire and take a left-then you can proceed North to Penny/Ederlee or if Kildaire is backed up go left on Ten-Ten and hop on US1. I don't think you would ever have to detour onto Ten-Ten, though, as it is usually more congested going into the light at Smith Road.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:00 AM

108 posts, read 347,753 times
We live in Sunset Oaks and couldn't be happier with the neigborhood, the people and the amenities. The pool has been wonderful and we love the fact that we have access to the other two Sunset Ridge pools as well. I know two families in the neighborhood who homeschool their children, so I don't think you'd have any issue connecting with others in the area. Also, there is still new construction going on in the back of Sunset Oaks - so you'd be able to get the home warranty and most likely the $1,000 pool initiation fee waived. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Old 03-07-2013, 07:47 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,730 times
I think Sunset Ridge and Sunset Oaks are both closer to Lifetime than Scotts Mill. Certainly they are a more convenient drive. I think sometimes people hear Holly Springs and think "out there" but have never really looked at a map.

Sunset Ridge is one of my favorite neighborhoods, especially the older sections. If you are keen golfers, then the choice is easy. Don't know much about Sunset Oaks except for the awesome looking pool that you can see when driving by.

Scotts Mill is great too. Very family oriented. Just be careful about the impact of 540. Some houses are right next to the highway. I know they built a sound barrier - I am curious to know if there is any problem with the noise. I would go there late at night when to check it out when all is quiet.

You might also like The Park at Westlake, just down the road.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:24 AM

189 posts, read 507,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famisgr8 View Post
Hello We are new to the area.We are looking to purchase a home with in the next 2 weeks. We like both Scotts Mill in Apex and Sunset Oaks/Ridge in Holly Springs. We are members of Lifetime Fitness and go to the Cary location about 5 days a week. We homeschool so we want to live close enough to activities we can do as family or individual. Does anyone have any info on homeschool groups or science programs. I was also wondering what is with in walking distance in either neighborhood and if there are greenways or future greenways. Thanks in advance for any information about these neighborhoods and their surrounding area.
Is there a specific reason for you to narrow down to these two neighborhoods ?
They are both great neighborhoods, but I would not think of them as in the same range/criteria.
Also if you are new to the area, it would be better to take your time figuring out the area before buying a house.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:19 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunni View Post
Is there a specific reason for you to narrow down to these two neighborhoods ?
They are both great neighborhoods, but I would not think of them as in the same range/criteria.
Also if you are new to the area, it would be better to take your time figuring out the area before buying a house.
What do you see as the differences? Scotts Mill may not have as many high end homes as the others but they all seem to have a good selection of homes in the 250-400K price range. All are family oriented with lots of amenities.

The main difference I see is that Sunset Ridge has that large established section with tree-lined streets and older style homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary